Anyone been to Waikiki?

cleobella

We are doing a Hawaii cruise in Dec (can't wait) and taking a couple of days in Waikiki pre-cruise. Does any one have any good ideas for how to spend the time? I wonder what there is to do there other then the beach?

Thanks

Visit "Dog, Bounty Hunter"..office is 9 blocks up from cruise dock.

Visit the "bowl" on their Swap Meet days.

Go to Seaworld and swim with the dolphins.

Take in a Luau...I like Germaines. You can usually find sidewalk booths that offer discount coupons. Germaines include a "fun" bus ride there and back and 3-5 free drink tickets. I beleive they're the only 1 that has fire dancers.

http://www.oahu-hawaii-luau.com/germaines.htm

And i know you haven't interest in beach, but the snorkeling at Hanauama Bay is a beginners awsome experience.

http://www.hanaumabaytours.com/

JUST ENJOY....

Just my short list... I already made it for my brother/family so I'll post it for you here. Hope it helps! Here you goooooooooo!!!!

There is a TON of things to do in Waikiki/Honolulu/Oahu

In the Waikiki vicinity itself:

1) Waikiki - beach, of course. There's the Waikiki Historical trail you can your own walking tour. You can check out the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (Pink) or the Sheraton Moana Surfrider's banyan tree inside, or BeachWalk stores, Kapiolani Park usu has art fairs, International Marketplace for shopping, etc. There are many free hula shows and free classes available (check the Royal Hawaiian Center, Beach Walk, International Marketplace, etc). You can take a catamaran ride from Waikiki Beach as well. Tons of good food around...

2) Honolulu Zoo

3) Honolulu Aquarium

4) Diamond Head Monument Park - hike

Honolulu/outskirts:

1) Manoa Falls - hike

2) Chinatown - buy fresh fruits and produce, fresh leis

3) Iolani Palace - they have the Royal Hawaiian band performing every Fri afternoon

4) Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona, Mighty Mo, etc

5) Aloha Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium - 6a-3pm Sat/Sun/Wed

6) Bishop Museum

7) Oahu has many botanical gardens that are surprisingly neat to walk around. I think I went to the Foster Garden that was $5 adult, $1 child, free guided tour M-F 1pm. The Lili'uokalani Botanical Garden is nearby with picnic tables and streams.

7) Leonard's Bakery - malasadas!! I personally like the basic cinnamon sugar, no filling

8) Ono Hawaiian Foods - 726 Kapahulu Ave. real Hawaiian food restaurant, mom and pop place. Closed on certain days. The star is supposed to be the pipikaula short ribs

9) Helena's Hawaiian Food - 1240 N. School Street, another mom and pop Hawaiian restaurant. Closed when I passed by... boo. The star is supposed to be their lau lau.

Oahu, outside of Waikiki:

1) Polynesian Cultural Center - One of Oahu's main attraction, can take a whole day with different village shows, dinner and the evening show is usually rated very high.

2) Dole Plantation - big maze, train tour, pineapple treats. Admission to the plantation/store is free, but Pineapple Express 20 min train ride/tour, Maze, and Garden Tour have a cost.

3) North Shore - high surf beaches, Haleiwa town, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, Turtle Beach, Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Haleiwa (the original is in Kahuku)

4) Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve- best to go early to avoid long lines (they only allow certain #s at a time) for snorkeling, wear your water shoes so you don't cut yourself on coral, but no waves and protected, easy to snorkeling. fish come right up to you. Closed on Tuesdays

5) Kailua town- area also has Lanikai and Waimanalo beaches, much less crowded with tourists. Kayaking is popular here.

6) Sea LIfe Park - I've never been... but apparently, they have a Dolphin Experience, and a luau too.

Just our experience: we found some amazing food to eat and wonderful things to see/do on Oahu but found Waikiki Beach itself to be more "city-like" than we had envisioned Hawaii and were a tad disappointed that we had stayed there. Having said that, some people really like that kind of environment and it may be the best place for the things you want to do.

Definitely read some reviews and postings to give you a better idea of what you want to do. Also, you may want to look at trip advisor as well.

Aloha!

Just our experience: we found some amazing food to eat and wonderful things to see/do on Oahu but found Waikiki Beach itself to be more "city-like" than we had envisioned Hawaii and were a tad disappointed that we had stayed there. Having said that, some people really like that kind of environment and it may be the best place for the things you want to do.

Definitely read some reviews and postings to give you a better idea of what you want to do. Also, you may want to look at trip advisor as well.

Aloha!

I agree...while Waikiki is a great springboard, I'd personally explore the other parts of the island of Oahu to truly experience all that the island has to offer and get a real sense of Oahu. It's so much more than just Waikiki hotels and shopping centers. So much more beauty and history to it all... I forgot to mention the Valley of the Temples where the Byodo-In Temple is located. So peaceful and beautiful. As well as Kualoa Ranch, where you can ATV or horseback ride, or go on a tour...parts of LOST were taped here. Enjoy!

The view from Diamond Head is fantastic - Walking Waikiki Beach at sunset is great. Pearl Harbor is a must do. Rent a car and drive around the island, the North Shore is wild in the winter. I have been to Waikiki 6 times and never have run out of things to see. It is fun walking along the street at night and watching the street performers. Also, on Friday nite the Hilton has fireworks. I have watched them from the beach near my hotel and up closer near the Hilton hotel. The night life can be very interesting there.

The view from Diamond Head is fantastic - Walking Waikiki Beach at sunset is great. Pearl Harbor is a must do. Rent a car and drive around the island, the North Shore is wild in the winter. I have been to Waikiki 6 times and never have run out of things to see. It is fun walking along the street at night and watching the street performers. Also, on Friday nite the Hilton has fireworks. I have watched them from the beach near my hotel and up closer near the Hilton hotel. The night life can be very interesting there.

We will be in Honolulu in January...what do you mean the North Shore is wild in the winter?

Also is there any place we should stay away from because of safety?

Thank you

We will be in Honolulu in January...what do you mean the North Shore is wild in the winter?

Also is there any place we should stay away from because of safety?

Thank you

North Shore in December (I think) is when they have all the big time surfing competitions. Waves are the biggest at that time.

Safety, I saw many street people and drug users in the parks, especially once it got later into the night. Stick to the touristy strips and in well lit areas. Don't travel alone if you can avoid it. Same safety tips as any other city. Chances of being mugged are one in a million. But you never want to be the one.

The waves on the north shore in winter are big - that is when they have the surf compettitions. As far a safety, stay along the busy part of Waikiki. The further you walk away from the Beach and toward the Ala Wai it is not as well lit and definately less tourist friendly although I myself had never had a problem I would not go alone that far away from the Hotel streets. I never felt any threat when out at night or early morning along Kalakaua or Kuhio streets. My favorite thing to do early morning is drink a cup of coffee on one of the benches near the beach just before sunrise.:)

Oh, Valley of the Temples was a wonderful surprise! We planned to go but really didn't plan to stay long...the mosquitoes finally ran us out!

We are planning to stay at a vacation rental 3 nights pre-cruise in Kailua, then one night post cruise in Waikiki. I am looking forward to seeing the Valley of the Temples during our Kailua stay, but it sounds as if I had better pack some mosquito spray! Did you enter the big temple or do you have to be Buddhist for that? The grounds sound as if they are lovely. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a funny story about Waikiki, the first time we went to Hawaii, back in 1997. My husband and I had been to see Don Ho's dinner show, in Waikiki. Since our hotel was fairly close, we decided to walk back to our hotel. My husband was walking about 10 yards in front of me, more to the center of the sidewalk. I was walking close to the shops, that were all closed, just sort of window shopping, and meandering along. I looked up and noticed this girl in a tight white leather outfit, and boots, speaking to my husband. He laughed and moved on. A bit further on, another girl spoke to him. Again, he just walked on. I decided to catch up with him, and find out what was happening. He said, they were hooker's, asking if he wanted a good time. I couldn't believe it, this was the U.S. after all, and to top it off, the police station was right across the street, from where the first girl approched him. I asked him just what he said. He told them they had better ask his wife, and laughed. Then we both had a good laugh. To this day, he still talks about how hooker's tried to pick him up, right in front of his wife.

Waikiki was not how I had envisioned Hawaii either. I remember during the cruise saying that I wouldn't want to spend anymore time there. I just wasn't impressed at all. It resembled any big city. However, we stayed a day after the cruise since it was already planned at Waikiki and we were much happier then. It's good to experience all parts of Hawaii!

We loved Pearl Harbor and I think it's a must see. It ranked high on my son's list!

Rent a car and do the island circle drive (counterclock-wise from Waikiki). You might want to take in the Honolulu Aquarium which is very nice, although small. I actually prefer it to the more commercial Park on the north shore. Get out of Waikiki...traffic is awful, parking is even worse. If you are there in the winter, plan to stop to take photos and watch the surfers on the north shore. It is spectacular...just stay far enough back along the shore so that you don't risk getting swept away.

Archived