9/25 EPIC 1st NCL/Suite/Aft Cruise

ptuder

Just wanted to post some thoughts regarding our 9/25 EPIC cruise. This was our first on NCL, have cruised Carnival & RCCL previously. We booked Penthouse Suite 10326, our first ever suite experience and first with an aft balcony.

We had an awesome trip, biggest complaint is the aft balcony. Not sure if it is this ship or if they were working through some problems but the vibration in the room was insane at times. The last night of the cruise we had to take the hangers out of the closet they were rattling around so much. Coming in and out of port was laughable. Didn't ruin our trip but we wouldn't do it again, the view was great but noisy.

The room was great, the staff throughout the ship was wonderful, very friendly everywhere. My parents needed help from guest services 2 different times and both times were treated exceptionally. They even received a bottle of wine and plate of chocolate covered strawberries one afternoon to acknowledge the problem. They were very pleased with their service.

We thought the food was good to excellent everywhere we ate. We ate at Manhattan Club, O'Sheehans, La Cuccina, Moderno, Epic Club and Courtyard Grill. We wanted to try the Noodle Bar but they were closed while in port. Moderno was a blast, everyone really enjoyed it. Again, the staff and service was great and a lot of fun. They were joking, stopped at our table faster than we could keep up with them and kept making sure we were okay. The staff at the Epic Club was incredible. One night the server told us that if there was anything we needed to let her know and she would "make it happen". We're not used to that so it was such a treat for us.

Posh was a wonderful place to hang out during the day. We saw just about all the available entertainment. Blue Man Group wasn't our thing, but everyone else seemed to enjoy it. We were disappointed when we learned they changed the Legends performers our week as my Dad really wanted to see Elvis but we all enjoyed the show. We sat on the balcony for the Cirque show, thought it was great and the food was good. This was the first week for the new menu.

Overall we had an awesome trip. We would definitely recommend the ship and NCL. We didn't have time to do and experience everything. My parents in their 70's enjoyed it and said they would sail NCL again. Keep in mind we try to roll with the punches, enjoy our vacations, our time off is a treasure and we can have fun in a paper bag but we really didn't have anything that turned us off.

Thanks for the review. I'm in an aft balcony in December and am a little worried about the vibration after your review but I'm very much looking forward to the view! I've never had an aft and can't wait. I'll remember to take the hangers out of the closet :)

I am booked in your same room in 2 weeks. Do you recommend changing? I thought the view would be awesome. There was a courtyard penthouse available the last time I checked. of course it is more money. Thanks

Well if I were to do it again I would try for the Courtyard location as it is a hike up there and they really have made it such a nice area. I had always wanted to try the aft as so many people rave about it, but for us it wasn't something we would do again. But everyone has different tastes. We did enjoy the view, have some great pics but the noise and vibration were more than we expected.

I wonder if they are having problems which makes the vibration worse. Tuesday night they made an announcement that they were running tests and to expect vibrations for a couple hours. It lasted till midnight. I don't know if this was normal routine testing or if they were trying to figure it out.

Well if I were to do it again I would try for the Courtyard location as it is a hike up there and they really have made it such a nice area. I had always wanted to try the aft as so many people rave about it, but for us it wasn't something we would do again. But everyone has different tastes. We did enjoy the view, have some great pics but the noise and vibration were more than we expected.

I wonder if they are having problems which makes the vibration worse. Tuesday night they made an announcement that they were running tests and to expect vibrations for a couple hours. It lasted till midnight. I don't know if this was normal routine testing or if they were trying to figure it out.

I'm sorry your first aft cabin was so disappointing but I have read many times now that there does seem to be a problem with the aft cabins on the Epic. Please try to keep an open mind on booking another aft cabin on other ships (especially the Pearl if you ever go on her). We absolutely loved our aft cabin and had none of the problems that the Epic seems to be having. In fact we are booked on an aft cabin on the Dawn in a couple of months and are REALLY looking forward to it as we love the sound of the wake and love the view!

Toothfairy - if you can afford it and it's still available I would say switch to the courtyard so that you won't have to put up with this annoyance. Plus, if the courtyard is even half as nice as the Pearl's it would be worth it. We had a CV when we had mom and sis with us in January and loved it. Although quite truthfully we would have been happy with the AE and don't know if we would book a CV for just the 2 of us.

Hey,

My husband and I were also on the Epic on Sept 25 in 13248 aft and OMG the vibrations went on and on. One night it was so bad, the bottle of water I had sitting on the head board "walked" it's way onto my head. I don't know what "tests" they were doing, but you could always tell when the speed dropped below 17 knots, like clockwork the ship starts shaking. Forget sleeping unless you can pretend you are in a "magic fingers" bed, and we certainly didn't need an alarm clock to wake us up on port mornings, as we were shook out of bed. I don't think this magnificent, huge, ship should be doing these short jumps where low speed is needed. This is too much under the power curve for these engines. Think when your pilot pulls the power back on the plane and you feel the vibration from such low rpms. This ship needs to run over 20knots. If NCL can resolve this problem, I would definitely like to try the Epic again. Everything else was fine.

Thanks for the review, I have not read many from folks that have been in the Courtyard area. We are staying in a 2-bedroom villa and I just wanted to ask about the food in the Epic Club. We assume we will be eating there almost all meals when not going to the "pay restaurants" and wanted to just hear a little more about it all, if you don't mind. Also, do you think it would be kid friendly? Thanks for your time, we really can't wait for January! :)

We stayed in 10326 on our cruise on the Epic in August.

The vibrations we expereienced were only during the times when we were entering or leaving ports. Whenever the thrusters were being used to spin the ship or move her laterally the vibrations were quite evident.

We would not hesitate to sail again in an aft Suite or cabin, the vibrations at worst were the morning wake up call for us

We stayed in 10326 on our cruise on the Epic in August.

The vibrations we expereienced were only during the times when we were entering or leaving ports. Whenever the thrusters were being used to spin the ship or move her laterally the vibrations were quite evident.

We would not hesitate to sail again in an aft Suite or cabin, the vibrations at worst were the morning wake up call for us

We were in a deck 12 balcony on the stern and had the same experience on Epic's trans-Atlantic. No vibration or noise at all other than when the thrusters were used docking in Manhattan. Stern balconies remain our first choice in staterooms, Epic included.

We were in a deck 12 balcony on the stern and had the same experience on Epic's trans-Atlantic. No vibration or noise at all other than when the thrusters were used docking in Manhattan. Stern balconies remain our first choice in staterooms, Epic included.

We were in an AFT Penthouse also on the TA and experienced no problems with vibration, other than the expected times of docking etc.

I am booked in your same room in 2 weeks. Do you recommend changing? I thought the view would be awesome. There was a courtyard penthouse available the last time I checked. of course it is more money. Thanks

If you're on the 10/16 cruise - stop over to our roll call!

(pst we need a penthouse for our poker cabin crawl!) :o

They were testing the new Dynamic positioning system and the aft thrusters

We sat on the balcony for the Cirque show, thought it was great and the food was good. This was the first week for the new menu.

Thanks for the review!

When you say "first week for the new menu" - do you mean just for the Cirque show, or elsewhere? I heard the show was "so-so" by many, and that the food was anywhere from OK to "not fit for consumption"! Thus, I had decided to skip the show entirely for our 2/26/11 sailing.

We were booked in an aft Penthouse originally, but switched to a CV a couple of months ago. The courtyard area, and all it has to offer, was too tempting - and the Penthouse did not have the sq. footage which really justified it being considered a "suite" in my opinion.

You can often find us an an aft-corner cabin, and many ships (typically Carnival) the vibrations coming in and out of ports are VERY strong. Forget trying to sleep in (read: don't stay up until 2-3 am)!! :eek:

Tom

When you say "first week for the new menu" - do you mean just for the Cirque show, or elsewhere? I heard the show was "so-so" by many, and that the food was anywhere from OK to "not fit for consumption"! Thus, I had decided to skip the show entirely for our 2/26/11 sailing.

You really should see the Cirque Dreams show. At $15 or $20 it is a real bargain. Look at the cost of a Cirque show in Las Vegas or any major US or Canadian city. All the whining about the food was simply nonsense. We were on Epic's trans-Atlantic and had the original menu: filet and stuffed chicken breast. It was just fine. I really don't understand what all the complaining is about. I'm guessing it's from those folks who apparently are constitutionally unwilling to spend anything additional for food or entertainment on a cruise, no matter how extraordinary (compared with the usual mass-market cruise line entertainment) it might be, so they have to find reason to complain about it.

Go to Cirque and enjoy it.

You really should see the Cirque Dreams show. At $15 or $20 it is a real bargain. Look at the cost of a Cirque show in Las Vegas or any major US or Canadian city. All the whining about the food was simply nonsense. We were on Epic's trans-Atlantic and had the original menu: filet and stuffed chicken breast. It was just fine. I really don't understand what all the complaining is about. I'm guessing it's from those folks who apparently are constitutionally unwilling to spend anything additional for food or entertainment on a cruise, no matter how extraordinary (compared with the usual mass-market cruise line entertainment) it might be, so they have to find reason to complain about it.

Cirque is "so-so" with me to begin with. I have seen a few in Vegas, and the only one I would see again (read: "liked") was LOVE. I fully understand that "better" food has a price - and have no problem enjoying a meal that is above MDR standards. We look forward to those meals (on some ships, that is the only way to go).

I will keep an open mind -- and will certainly have a better handle on it prior to the beginning of the window of time to make reservations.

Thanks,

Tom

The Cirque dinner is now $20 and $30. It went up as of the 25 Sept sailing. The Mystery Lunch also went up to $20 on that sailing as well.

I would really like to hear what the impressions are of the new menu for Cirque. I'm sailing on Saturday and am very interested in opinions on the changes.

Thanks for the review!

We were booked in an aft Penthouse originally, but switched to a CV a couple of months ago. The courtyard area, and all it has to offer, was too tempting - and the Penthouse did not have the sq. footage which really justified it being considered a "suite" in my opinion.

You can often find us an an aft-corner cabin, and many ships (typically Carnival) the vibrations coming in and out of ports are VERY strong. Forget trying to sleep in (read: don't stay up until 2-3 am)!! :eek:

Tom

I meant the Cirque show has a new menu, still a fixed menu. There were 3 items for the salad/appetizer course. I hope I am recalling this correctly, Bib lettuce with buttermilk salad dressing, chicken skewer and a tab of foigras, the last item isn't something we care for but the salad and chicken were fine. The main course was beef tenderloin, shrimp, scalloped potatoes and spinach. I thought all of it was good. The dessert was 3 mini items, red velvet cupcake, a pudding or brûlée and chocolate cake. By the time dessert rolls around I have eaten more than I normally would so I didn't eat too much.

The show was fun, our group of 7 all enjoyed it with some saying it was their favorite show. The beginning is a lot of talking but it gets better once the acts get started. I can see that it isn't for everyone but I would think most people would at least find it a different and entertaining way to spend an evening.

Thanks for the review, I have not read many from folks that have been in the Courtyard area. We are staying in a 2-bedroom villa and I just wanted to ask about the food in the Epic Club. We assume we will be eating there almost all meals when not going to the "pay restaurants" and wanted to just hear a little more about it all, if you don't mind. Also, do you think it would be kid friendly? Thanks for your time, we really can't wait for January! :)

You will love the courtyard area and the Epic Club restaurant. The food and service is just wonderful. Yes, kid friendly, There were a few different families in the restaurant. We talked to one family with two children (4 & 7 years) and witnessed the staff giving the kids a lot of attention. One evening they were eating in the Courtyard Grill area rather than the Epic Club, they had their youngest curled up sleeping on one of the sofas. The parents told us they hadn't gone to any of the pay restaurants with the kids as their kids just wanted to eat spaghetti. They were going to try to go out one night that the kids club had a slumber party.

You will have a great time. Within a day or two the staff in the Courtyard will know you and will go out of their way for you. We were very impressed.

Thanks for the review. I'm in an aft balcony in December and am a little worried about the vibration after your review but I'm very much looking forward to the view! I've never had an aft and can't wait. I'll remember to take the hangers out of the closet :)

I always take the hangers and put them on the floor in the closet on the last night after I have removed all the clothes. It doesn't matter where the cabin is located on the ship. The slightest jar of the ship, makes the hanger clang together. I realized this on our very first cruise....33 cruises ago and took care of the hangers this way after the clothes were removed.

I haven't been on Epic yet but have cruised in many aft (facing the wake) cabins. When the door is closed, the cabin is so quiet...you would never know there was a wake outside.

What's a poker cabin crawl?

Well, in our group it works like this:

Everyone who wants to be involved pays $5.

We have a selection of different types cabins offered for viewing.

As the group goes to each of 5 stops - they get a playing card.

At last cabin, person / team with best poker hand gets all the $$.

So, you have a chance at winning some $, get to see different types of cabins and make new friends along the way.

What's a poker cabin crawl?

Our BA balcony cabin is part of our poker cabin crawl on our cruise coming up in just over a week. It was explained to me that everyone who participates ( chips in for the cash prize), gets to pick one card per cabin that we visit. Who ever has the best poker hand at the end of the crawl, wins the cash pot.

We are going but I'm curious to know what the new menu is and how the quality of the food is.

Archived