Photography Enthusiasts... Advice please!

5326jan

I am looking for a SLR or SLR-like camera that is light weight and easily portable that takes good pictures, but doesn't require a lot of lenses. I'm an ametuer and plan to stay that way, but would like to be show some of my pictures without embarassment.:rolleyes: I have gotten too frustrated with the slow action of my point and shoot and end up with too many unusable photos!

I'm currently considering the Canon Rebel, Nikon D60 and possibly the Panasonic Lumix (due to light weight). I would love the advice of other cruisers, who don't want to haul a bunch of equipment, but want to share their travels with others and be proud of the photos.

If you do not want interchangeable lenses but want a camera that has many of the controls of a dSLR, you might look at the Canon G12 or the new Nikon equivalent. It will not fit easily into your pocket but it is a very powerful camera and does have an optical viewfinder which is extremely important to me.

DON

I am looking for a SLR or SLR-like camera that is light weight and easily portable that takes good pictures, but doesn't require a lot of lenses. I'm an ametuer and plan to stay that way, but would like to be show some of my pictures without embarassment.:rolleyes: I have gotten too frustrated with the slow action of my point and shoot and end up with too many unusable photos!

I'm currently considering the Canon Rebel, Nikon D60 and possibly the Panasonic Lumix (due to light weight). I would love the advice of other cruisers, who don't want to haul a bunch of equipment, but want to share their travels with others and be proud of the photos.

Also if you will go to "Floataway Lounge" which is found further down the list from this blog, you will find a poster on there titled Brenda and Allen Patrick. His screen name is CameraGuy because that has been his line of business for a long time. He should be able to give you some great info..

Your question is like asking the crusiing enthusiast what cruise to take?

There are so many factors, budget, formfactor, what you shoot, what and how you use your pictures all factor into the decision.

Dave's pick is a good start: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

For web sharing almost any 299 P&S will yield good vacation pictures.

The next step up is superzoom for wildlife or when you want pictures of things far way, this almost results in a larger camera

The next step above that is if you need lighting fast focus, shot - shot for sports and fast moving kids/actions or low light. Here there is no substitue for a DSLR but some of the newere Sony and Casio have some creative features that enable very fast burst captures.

Happy shooting.

Tom Dempsey, a professional photographer, has a wealth of information on his website including The Best Travel Cameras: How to Buy a Camera, How to Take Better Pictures, and many galleries of his professional work from his travels around the world.

Tom teaches photography and leads photo safaris to exotic locales -- his website is a master class in itself.

First, there is a photo board here on CC. There are many helpful people over there. That being said, I don't think there is a camera that is lightweight (at least by my standards) that would be comparable or enough like a DSLR. I have the Nikon D60 and love it, but it's not light (lighter than many DSLRs but still not light) and does require lenses. My first digital camera about 4 years ago was a Canon (which has since been upgraded & improved by Canon) but it still wasn't small (too big for a pocket or tossing in my purse) and light, but still much lighter than the DSLRs. It takes good photos but does have it's limitations (missed glaciers calving and came back and immediately bought the DSLR).

My suggestion is to figure out which features you know you want and will actually use, then some that you have been interested in and find cameras that fit those. Then make sure you like the feel of it. I almost bought a D90 until I held it! It was wayyyy to big for my hands. So I waited until the D60 came out and it was a perfect fit. I'm currently shopping for a compact digital that I can throw in my purse but still want good optical zoom. I'm also looking at the touchscreen options.

No one ever talks about Pentax, but they make some great, entry-level DSLRs that offer quite the bang for the buck ... especially if you don't plan on buying a lot of Canon or Nikon glass anyway. Look at reviews, etc, but the most important thing is to head to a store and try some cameras out. It doesn't matter how good or bad the camera is if you hate using it or it just doesn't feel right in your hand.

Thanks for all the useful information. I realize that this camera won't be as light as my p&s. The lumix is 20 oz and the others are both under 30 oz. Not something I'd want to put in my pocket, to be sure! I would like to stay under 30oz though. I will be shooting the usual travel subjects: landscape, architecture, people in context of scenery, etc. (Not to mention my beautiful grandkids!) My budget is $600- 1000.

I will look over all of the links that were given and try to find the correct forum for these questions. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Check out the Sony DSC-H# series of cameras. VERY light weight. Relatively inexpensive and full HD 1080 capability. Not a true SLR but in almost every other way mimics a SLR.

I use the SONY when I don't want to carry the weight & multiple lenses of my Canon 7D. The photo quality of the Sony & the 7D is often comparable. My particular Sony is a DSC-H9 but I believe newer models are currently available.

Also if you will go to "Floataway Lounge" which is found further down the list from this blog, you will find a poster on there titled Brenda and Allen Patrick. His screen name is CameraGuy because that has been his line of business for a long time. He should be able to give you some great info..

But he is lovingly caring for his ill wife and asking for help for my insignificant little question would feel so selfish and shallow. Thanks for the connection though, it makes me appreciate my health and independence. I admire the love and dedication he has for his family.

Check out the micro 4/3rd's cameras. or Canon S95 is a great camera. There are just so many. My advice, go to a real camera store, not the chain department stores. Hold them, look thru them see how comfortable they are and what features they have. At chain store it is hard to find people who really know what they are talking about. Whenever I have asked a question at a chain store, I get "Uuhh" then they pull out the manual. There are many lightweight cameras that will give you great photos, the key is to take just a little bit of time to learn how to use it, don't always keep it on auto settings.

My budget is $600- 1000.

In that range, I would go with a dSLR. While not a pocket camera, you will be able to take outstanding pictures and can always upgrade to bigger/more expensive lenses later. For your budget (or maybe just a little more), mind you I am Nikon guy, I would go with the D90. I have had mine now for 2 years and I love it! You can get a basic kit with 18-105 mm lens for right at $1,000 and maybe lower if you shop around.

For the money you're spending, I personally would not go with the D60, b/c with the D90 you also get HD video capability. And although I have not shot it, you may also want to look at the D5000.

Good luck with whatever you buy, and happy cruisin'!!!!

You have given a wide variety of considerations, and for the money the Lumix is one incredible camera. The optics are from Carl Zeiss and the camera is essentially a Leica with a different name.

Owning a DSLR offers some additional options in lenses, flashes, etc but all are additional dollars spent.

If you want one camera that will fit in a pocket or purse then go with the point and shoot.

If you would ever consider expanding your accessories and lens collection then go with the DSLR.

Tried no to confuse you...

I worked in a camera store for 5 years and really became a fan of the Olympus cameras. I owned a hybrid Olympus film camera for many years that took wonderful pictures. I now own and use the digital version. I have an Olympus SP-550UZ. That particular model is no longer available but, the camera has been upgraded so the type is available for sale. It is a hybrid between a P&S and an SLR. The benefits and quality that come with a bigger camera with the ease of a P&S. I most recently used mine for my cruise in the Bahamas this past August. The pictures turned out just wonderful.

I would consider myself a photography enthusiast, but certainly not any sort of expert or professional. I like the ease of a point and shoot that takes beautiful, clear, true to life colored photos that show the depth of the subject matter I am shooting. I do not care to be bothered with lots of lenses and a big bulky camera.

Now that you know where I am coming from in the range of photographers, I LOVE my Panasonic Lumix DMC - ZS3. It is very lightweight. Very user friendly to navigate the menu options and you can preset your favorites or most frequently used settings and change back and forth with the turn of a dial.

It has a video mode and takes amazing shots in rapid speed burst mode that help me get the best shot when the action is fast - but it sucks the battery life quickly in that mode so a spare is always good to have.

Nice size LCD screen and a 12x zoom. Tons of other features and settings if you choose to explore and play with them.

And well within (below) your established budget. I give it two thumbs up for my needs.

And although I have not shot it, you may also want to look at the D5000.

NO.

The D3100 has just been released, and the D5000 and D3000 are now obsolete.

D3100 has been getting very good reviews and should be considered.

One other point, when you get into SLR cameras, you realize that it ain't the camera, it is the glass (lenses) for the most part.

I use the Nikon D5000 and only carry the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens.

No need to carry more than one lens and have everything from wide angle to telephoto.

Great camera and lens.

I like The Nikon D5000, The Canon T1I and T2I. Priced around 700-800. They are a little heavier but you can add on if you wish. I bought a Canon EOS years ago and would buy a new one but it takes such great pics. You can also use old lens on new Canons and most Nikons wont let you do that I believe. Of course if I am wrong I will get put in my place. You can get a memory card and you'll never fill it on vacation either.

interesting topic and replies!! thanks for posting

It is amazing the collective wealth of knowledge that can be found on CC. :D

I have consumed everything I can find and the conclusion is that there are many cameras that would be suitable for me! There are a number of cameras suggested that would fit my needs, but I am currently leaning toward Nikon D3100 or D5000. The D3100 is new, so I'll take a little time to make sure that there aren't any yet to be discovered glitches. Ken Rockwell has listed the cameras and his recommendations in a very well organized fashion. That site was extremely helpful.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I appreciate your time and willingness to share your opinions and experience. :)

I just ordered the Nikon D3100!!:D All the reviews have been great and it is one of the lightest DLSRs. We found it on sale at Best Buy in a "kit" with 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lens. Unfortunately, it is back ordered, so I'm not sure when it will arrive.

I appreciate the expertise and opinions here, not to mention the links that will help me improve my skills! :o

If you are comparing and researching cameras I highly recommend you go to a web site called dpreview.com. I believe it is the site of a british photo mag (Digital Photography Review). The site has way too much technical information for most of us but its summary and conclusions are extremely useful. They pay attention to ease of use of controls and options and have extensive reports on picture and lens quality.

Good luck shopping,

Robbie

Archived