Repo Cruise

CruisinNewbie2010

Yes this is usually the case...

We have also taken cruises leaving from the u.s...and got off back

in canada.... At our home port....."no return air", which brings

the price down considerably!!

B.j.

( almost 20 cruises)

Just curious....I've seen some postings about "repo cruises". Are these trips that leave from one port and end at another? (as opposed to a round trip)

Yes.

For example, a ship that spends the summer in Europe and the winter in the Caribbean will have two repositioning cruises a year, one from the USA to Europe in the spring and one from Europe to the USA in the fall.

Another example are ships that spend the summer sailing from Vancover to Anchorage and the winter elsewhere. They will often have one or two day repositioning cruises in the spring and fall such as from Vancouver, Canada to San Francisco.

You can also have cruises that start in one port and end in another (such as Rome to Athens), but this is not a repositioning, just a regularly scheduled cruise between the two ports.

US law prohibits a repositioning that starts in one USA city and ends in another USA city unless it goes to a distant foreign port during that cruise. Thus, you cannot have a repositioning (or even a reglular sailing) from NYC to Florida unless it stops in a port such as Aruba on the way.

A "repo" cruise is one that repositions a ship from one region to another. For instance, Mexican Riviera to Alaska, Caribbean to the Mediterannean, south Pacific to US, etc.

Quite a few Princess cruises are one-way but then the ship's next cruise returns to the original port. These are not "repo" cruises even though they embark in one city and disembark in another. Examples would be the Alaskan cruises between Vancouver and Alaska, New York and Montreal, LA and FLL. The two former itineraries are designed to avoid a violation of the PVSA, a US government Act which means that a ship may not leave from one US port and have a final destination at another US port without going first to a "far" foreign port. "Far" does not include Mexico, Canada and most of the Caribbean but by embarking or disembarking in Vancouver or Montreal, the PVSA doesn't apply.

There are lots of cruises that begin in one port and end in another. Say, beginning in Barcelona and ending in Venice. Those aren't repo cruises. As "Pam in CA" says, repo stands for "repositioning" which means moving the ship from one area of the world to another to serve a different region in a different season. For example, many of the ships that summer in the Mediterranean or Alaska "repo" to the Caribbean in the winter. In the late spring they "repo" back the the Caribbean. Usually, its a lower priced cruise with lots of sea-days on the crossing.

going on my first one in may when the caribbean princess sails fom san juan back to ny. so i only have to fly one way because ny is my homeport. i cant wait.:)

This is a great Repo cruise. I have done it twice. I would like to do the reverse in the fall but the airfare from San Juan to NY is too much $ for a direct flight back to NY. I paid as low as $105 for a direct flight from NY to San Juan in the Spring.

going on my first one in may when the caribbean princess sails fom san juan back to ny. so i only have to fly one way because ny is my homeport. i cant wait.:)

I forgot to mention watch for a price drop on this one. I booked it originally for $579 for an inside. Around Nov -Dec it went down to $349 for the same cat.

Thanks for all the replies - certainly clears things up for me! I'm from Toronto Canada so we have to fly to the embarkation port anyway, but it would be less expensive if the return trip was a little closer to home.

Hopefully our first cruise will go smoothly and we can look at one of these repositioning cruises next! Thanks again!:)

Archived