Have you ONLY used a carry on?

Young&InLove

The BF and I are planning a cruise out of NOLA. The baggage fees are 45 per person, so that's $180 roundtrip. RIDICULOUS!

So, I was wondering if anyone out there can pack EVERYTHING in one carry on and one personal item? If so... HOW do you do it, please share your wisdom with the rest of us....

The BF and I are planning a cruise out of NOLA. The baggage fees are 45 per person, so that's $180 roundtrip. RIDICULOUS!

So, I was wondering if anyone out there can pack EVERYTHING in one carry on and one personal item? If so... HOW do you do it, please share your wisdom with the rest of us....

I always try to fly Southwest so I do not have to pay baggage fees. If this is not an option for you, could you maybe share one suitcase? that would make the rountrip cost a more palatable $90, but you should be able to be more comfortable on the cruise with the extra items you can bring.

Southwest flights from here to NOLA all connect and cost around $600.. when I can get an airtran flight for $150.. only reasonable..

We've always driven to ports before, Miami, Bayonne and Lauderdale.. but that's typically in summer months when I'm not worried about northern bad weather..

We could share a bag if we ran out of space. Attempt to put it all in 2 carry ons and personal items and then whatever doesn't fit we can share... that would work too..

When we drive we never have a problem. We take 3 HUUUGEE bags that would never be allowed by TSA. But now I have to pack on a "budget" you could say.

I do not see how people pack in only a carryon for a 7 day cruise. Unfortunately I am one of those who takes 2 suitcases and a carryon and my purse. I'm sure the airlines love to see me coming!

SAME WAY! Like I said before we have 3 huge duffel bags, then I have a purse, carry on suitcase, backpack, and two tote bags hahah

HOW??

Between.. formal nights, documents, clothing, sunscreen, how do you fit everything. Any special packing tactics? Help me out here! :)

Prioritizing and ruthlessness are what is necessary. All beauty products (shampoo, creams, sun lotion) go in travel-size containers. Outfits are mix-and-match, and of lightweight materials (linen pants/shorts take up much less space than denim anything). Women's formal wear is lightweight fabrics that pack well and small. Men can get away with a dark suit for formal nights, so have BF wear his suit jacket on the plane (he can fold it up for storage one on board). You do not need 5 pairs of shoes and matching handbags - one pair of walking shoes (which you will presumably wear to go), one pair of formal shoes and maybe sandals or sneakers, that's it.

I do check a bag, but it's not a large bag. I purchased it along with a matching carry-on, and that's what I bring, no matter the length of the trip. You just make it go in, or it doesn't come, period.

SAME WAY! Like I said before we have 3 huge duffel bags, then I have a purse, carry on suitcase, backpack, and two tote bags hahah

For a seven day cruise? Think about your last trip; did you actually use everything you brought?

At the most, for any trip, I've never brought more than a 24" rollarboard that fits in the overhead bin, a purse (that I can fit in the small carryon), and a small carryon. Often, I just use a 22" rollerboard instead. Sometimes, I just bring a rollerboard and a purse, depends where I'm going.

get everyhting you plan to take on the cruise ready and then put half of it back. i have found that i don't wear half of what i take on vacations, so i have cut back, by doing what some of the others have suggested like mixing and matching. you can also roll clothing for additional room. last 2 vacations i took carry on and personal bag.

thank you all for the great advice. im going on a 9 nighter w. the family before the cruise w. the BF.. so I'll try it then.. if i can do it for a 9 i can definitely do it for a 7.

and no.. i didn't use everything. barely half of the clothes. but i did need alot of small thigns that add up.

i was thinking ziploc bags.

DH & I have not checked a bag for over 10 years. We do not take "formal wear" and do not care if we wear something twice - especially evening clothes - we figure we're only in them for a few hours at a time.

In the day time we are usually in swimwear - DH wears a shirt that matches and I will usually wear a sun dress/cover up. This works on the ship or for excursions.

DH will take:

2 pairs of slacks - 1 linen and 1 micro fiber

2 swim trunks - easily washed out in sink

3 pairs shorts

8 or 9 shirts - will work with pants/shorts/swim trunks

1 dress shirt, tie, sport coat

loafers

Comfy walking sandals

enough under garments for all days

if needed laundry can be done on the ship

I take:

2 swimsuits - easily washed out in sink

2 cover ups

2 pairs of shorts

4 or 5 tops

2 skirts

4 or 5 sun dresses - I have a couple that can really be dressed up with accessories

sandals

dressy shoes

underthings

I also carry all my own shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizer, baby oil, etc. in our 2 allowable "3-1-1" airline carry on bags. - I have 3 oz bottles for everything and carry the travel size for toothpaste. The only thing you will want to buy after the flight is sunscreen - it is difficult to carry on enough.

We each have a carry on bag and a back pack - the back pack holds cameras, books, meds, snacks for plane

I even manage to carry my laptop in the front pocket of my suit case

You will be surprised when you start REALLY thinking about what you NEED on a trip.

We've done all carry-on for the last four years. Our longest were 12 night cruises with one pre-cruise night. Everything we bring coordinates with everything else and if we can fit formalwear, we bring it, if not, we don't. It's not a priority. I use Eagle Creek pack it folders for shirts and blouses and we layer pants, then fold them into the bag. Undies, pjs etc get rolled and go into giant zip locks with the air pushed out. I've got it down to a science and can't see ever checking a bag again. It's very freeing not having to wait at baggage claim and knowing nothing will get lost.

I can't do just a carryon either! I usually pack 1 large garment bag with all of our formal stuff and anything else I can cram in on a hanger. Then we pack 2 carryons for the plane and my "personal bag" which is enormous but I call it my "purse" :)

I am always very impressed by people who can pack for an entire cruise with a carryon! I can't get all of my bathroom goodies and shoes in a carryon!

We are flying with Southwest this cruise and I am in bags fly free packing heaven!

DH & I have not checked a bag for over 10 years. We do not take "formal wear" and do not care if we wear something twice - especially evening clothes - we figure we're only in them for a few hours at a time.

In the day time we are usually in swimwear - DH wears a shirt that matches and I will usually wear a sun dress/cover up. This works on the ship or for excursions.

DH will take:

2 pairs of slacks - 1 linen and 1 micro fiber

2 swim trunks - easily washed out in sink

3 pairs shorts

8 or 9 shirts - will work with pants/shorts/swim trunks

1 dress shirt, tie, sport coat

loafers

Comfy walking sandals

enough under garments for all days

if needed laundry can be done on the ship

I take:

2 swimsuits - easily washed out in sink

2 cover ups

2 pairs of shorts

4 or 5 tops

2 skirts

4 or 5 sun dresses - I have a couple that can really be dressed up with accessories

sandals

dressy shoes

underthings

I also carry all my own shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizer, baby oil, etc. in our 2 allowable "3-1-1" airline carry on bags. - I have 3 oz bottles for everything and carry the travel size for toothpaste. The only thing you will want to buy after the flight is sunscreen - it is difficult to carry on enough.

We each have a carry on bag and a back pack - the back pack holds cameras, books, meds, snacks for plane

I even manage to carry my laptop in the front pocket of my suit case

You will be surprised when you start REALLY thinking about what you NEED on a trip.

Thank you. My sister and I plan on doing our "first carries-on" on our next cruise in February.

BTW where in Connecticut are you from? We are originally from Southington and our mother's maiden name was Longo.

Thank you. My sister and I plan on doing our "first carries-on" on our next cruise in February.

BTW where in Connecticut are you from? We are originally from Southington and our mother's maiden name was Longo.

You're welcome. You will love the freedom of not waiting for checked bags. We can travel to Europe for 3 weeks in carry on - in January no less!

We are currently in the Windham area.

A carry on is all I use. I have not checked a bag flying or cruising in 15 years. I can pack basically the same for a 3 day trip to a 30 day one. My bag generaly tops out at 18 lbs.

Never loose a bag or have anything stolen and bags have much less chance of getting damaged.

I use a convertable back pack (Rick Steves) that is overhead/carry on size.

Mix and match clothing, use light fabrics that can be hand washed and dry overnight.

No standing in long slow lines waiting to get to your bag.

Overall nothing but positives in traveling light.

I have used 22 wheelie for 45 days Europe and long cruises. Key for ladies is lightweight fabrics/shoes which coordinate.I use things I will not get tired of wearing, no prints. Pick 2 colors, then coordinate off them. No heavy jeans, jackets, blowdryers, jewelry. I have lightweight dark denim capris, pants for on land.Wrap dresseswork well. Put everything out on bed month before trip, divided into catagories. Take one or two out of each group, especially shoes.Put all clothing in a closet corner. Take it all out in two weeks, lightening up again if it all doesnt fit in bag.Pack, rolling up, night before travel to lessen wrinkling. I have never felt underpacked.

thank you all for great ideas. i hope it works out because saving $180, plus the fear of lost luggage, plus waiting in lines, is wellll worth it if i can get it down to a science.

and from what i've read there's no weight limit for carry on's.. is this correct?

Yes--there is a weight limit for carry-ons...the weight will be specified in your airline's info. Do they actually WEIGH the carry-ons....almost never...but make sure they're the correct size, or you will have to check them!

I have enough trouble getting all the things I need to take in 1 22in bag and a 22in duffle bag that are checked. 1 totebag and my pocketbook which I stuff things into last minute and take on the plane. This was for 5 nights mind you lol

(I am against those rolling carry on bags. Nothing pisses me off more than people who bring those stupid bags on the plane, hold everyone up behind them trying to put them in overhead bin, then opening them up and changing their clothes 3 times and rearranging everything inside, same thing goes when the plane lands for them. My philosophy on a plane is .. get on the plane. sit down and shut up, when it lands.. get your crap and get off.)

This next cruise I am going to TRY to only bring one 22in luggage and a totebag and my pocketbook.

i take a carry-on for alaska for 7 days and a day before the cruise. i wear my tennis shoes a pair of jeans and sweater on the plane ( i go in may or sept ). in the bag is a hooded sweatshirt, 2 pr of jeans and 2 pair jogger pants. 2 nice tops and 2 pair lightweight nice pants for dinner that i can mix and match. a couple tshirts ( i pick up more in the ports too wear. 2 night gowns, i use the ships robe , flats for dinning room and undies in zip-lock bags. no shampoo and hair things and body wash, the ships items are fine and the hair dryer in the cabin works on my short hair. i make sure the ship has one in the cabin. my purse is big enough for a bottle of wine and medicine and documents. i have learned too really scale down and not take unneccessary things. after taking way too much stuff for a few times you will know what too take and not take.

I do this all the time - and pack the following:

2 pants (1 outdoor, 1 indoor/non-denim)

4 shirts (2 outdoor, 2 polos for dinner)

3 - 5 changes wash-n-wear underwear and socks

1 shorts/swimsuit and t-shirt

1 pair flipflops

1 pair shoes (black athletic/walking)

1 fleece vest or hoodie

1 lightweight rainsuit (jacket and pants)

1 small daypack (holding hat, camera, netbook and other personal items)

Travel size toiletries - no overkill

This is basically a "warm weather" ensemble. Note that I am wearing one outfit comprised of items listed above when traveling. The rest are packed, usually in a 22" rolling backpack. Usually doesn't weigh more than 20 - 25 lbs.

I send stuff to the laundry as necessary - it still works out cheaper than luggage fees. :-) I have traveled/cruised in this format for up to 3 weeks.

Oh - and NO FORMAL NIGHTS for me! :-)

Archived