HOHO bus tickets in Rome and Florence

louisiana-girl

The only reasons I can think of to puchase them ahead of time would be if you think there's a chance they might sell out or that there will be a long line and you'll save time/hassle by purchasing in advance.

On the down side, you may pay more for them (a service fee) by purchasing in advance, and you're locked in/out the money if you change your mind and decide you'd rather do something else.

I personally think that HOHO buses are not particularly useful in Rome or Florence, because they can't get close to several of the key sites, and because the historic centers of each city are so small that it's reasonable to walk everywhere, assuming you are reasonably fit.

For Rome definately wait till you get there. Your hotel can sell them to you or tell you the nearest place to purchase the. The HOHO in Rome does go real close to the Forum/Colliseum and the Vatican. You just have to walk about a block to the Trevi Fountain. It also goes up Via Veneta, so I think it is quite good there. The only downfall was at certain sites you may have to wait in line and often wait for the next bus. We like to take one spin all around just absorbing and taking photos from the top. Than we start getting off.:)

I purchased our Ho Ho tickets at viator dot com about 6 months before we went on our cruise. Also booked tours through them. It was paid for in US $$ and I knew they were paid well before we left. You get a voucher, that has to be turned in at the venue for tickets.

It is easy to just purchase once you get there, but most wanted EURO, not US $$ and the exchange rate was absolutely terrible when we were there. So saving every dollar I could was important to me.

It's whatever makes sense for you. I liked knowing it was paid for and I saved a couple of bucks. Have a great trip!

You sure you want to HO HO in Florence. The most desirable sights and such are all very walkeable. I can't imagine you get much more on a HO HO nor that they stop close enough that you gain much versus just doing the central city all on foot.

You should also think carefully about Rome. Yes, its a much more spread out city and travling in a bus to do drivebys is mighty convenient but you do want to stop and get out at many of the places and then you really want to get back in line to get on the next bus?

Good luck

Is it best to book the HOHO bus tickets online before traveling or wait until we arrive and get them that day?

With the vouchers, or purchasing the tickets, you can do so at any stop. We boarded in front of the Vatican. I think there were about 4 different Ho Ho companies all lined up. So never fear, if you want to wait and buy there in EURO, you can always do that too.

It's true the Ho Ho doesn't actually drive by the Trevi or Spanish

Steps, but it got us a lot closer than our hotel by the Vatican. We did the 48 hour pass, and did the Northern Section (Trevi, Spanish Steps, etc) the first day, and the Southern Section (Forum, Colloseum, Circus Maximus, etc.) the 2nd day. We saw lots from the bus too. I love HO HO buses and have used them in Sydney, Melbourne, New York City, and even a HO HO boat in Amsterdam and Paris. My friend and I can't walk great distances, so it was great for us.

I would not recommend HOHO for Florence. In fact, I do not even recall seeing then on any of our past visits. Florence is very small. I suspect using the HOHO would be an impediment to walking about and enjoying the city. Cannot comment on Rome other to say that I think the little electro buses that weave in and out the ancient city would be much moire effective than the HOHO unless of course you have mobility issues. In any event, I do not think that there is a compelling reason to purchase these tickets in advance.

I would not recommend HOHO for Florence. In fact, I do not even recall seeing then on any of our past visits. Florence is very small. I suspect using the HOHO would be an impediment to walking about and enjoying the city. Cannot comment on Rome other to say that I think the little electro buses that weave in and out the ancient city would be much moire effective than the HOHO unless of course you have mobility issues. In any event, I do not think that there is a compelling reason to purchase these tickets in advance.

The HOHO bus map for Florence (http://www.viator.com/mapShow.jspa?id=1010&productId=1016&productType=SIC&code=2916FLR&) shows how useless it is. The historic center of Florence has been a restricted traffic zone for many years, recently it became even more so as all buses, including public transportation, were banned from the streets around the Duomo.

As a result, the HOHO bus route barely touches the edges of the historic district. The only building it actually comes close to is the Pitti Palace, as it veers down a street near it. It does go to Piazzale Michelangelo, but that's hardly a good reason to use it.

I'll agree with the others on Florence. It is just not that large, we walked from Uffizi to Academia in about 15 minutes (which are on opposite sides of town) and that is about how far is was from the train station.

Kirk

I also agree the HOHO bus would be useless in Florence.It is really small and compact.

We did use it in Rome but were there for 7 days so we had lots of time to wander around.We were there in May and the lines were not bad at all and we felt it was worth the money for an overview of Rome but it can be very slow moving.We still did a lot of walking as the HOHO bus is not able to get real close to the historic sites except for the Collosseum. We will be returning to Rome in June and will not use it again as there are 4 of us. and taxis would actually be cheaper and more efficient for the couple of times we will need it. We will take the train into Rome to the Collosseum,Forum area.From there we will take a taxi to Trevi Fountain. We will walk to Piazza Navona,Pantheon,Campo Fiori.At the end of the day we will take a taxi to see St Peters.We will not be going to the Vatican due to time contraints.We plan on taking the train back to the port from St Peters station.

We have seen the HOHO buses in Rome enough to know that they did not go where we wanted to go. As others have said, using cabs (official ones not the 'rogue' cabs), the subway, the buses, and travelling by foot are the most effective ways to get around Rome.

We have been on a few third party sites where they sell train and bus tickets, and admission tickets to various sites. Our impression is that they are grossly overpriced. We have travelled through Italy frequently and have never had a problem buying tickets. We do make reservations at various musuems but we always make them directly with the museum or gallery. There is a slight ticket uplift but nothing like you would pay on the third party ticket sites.

Archived