Wonder if Princess would change from Acapulco?

rhsjr

I was on the Panama Canal cruise leaving from Acapulco in December 2009. We stayed 2 days precruise at the Fairmont. It has gotten worse since then but there are literally men with machine guns all over the place,even in the little tourist stores where u buy postcards. Not just one like 5 machine men in each store! Quite a strange experience. Going into the Fairmont there are armed guards about every 20 feet going up the driveway sitting in little huts and spread out on the grass. I can't imagine how much more there can be now b/c this was before it got so bad.

We felt safe on the grounds of the Fairmont and there are many armed guards with machine guns guarding the area between the public beach and hotel. Not exactly relaxing when you have to see that coming off the beach. We just stayed at the pools.

If you are just staying at the hotel and going to the cliffdivers or just going to the ship,Princess and the fancy hotels do hire tons of security to take care of you. It's just you can't really be wandering out by yourself anywhere. It is very different from Puerta Vallarta or Cabo where I was in 2008. They were not at all like Acapulco in terms of security,it was much more relaxed. Acapulco isn't nice either. The beaches are dirty, and besides the cliff divers there really isn't much to see where u can go safely.

We realize that the issue here is passenger safety but from the unfriendly reception received from the local business people and citizens in general on the last two ventures to Acapulco, who on earth would ever want to go back again. Not us !!!

Princess needs to eliminate Mexico altogether, its a disaster waiting to happen.
They'd have to eliminate/modify both Mexican Riviera and Eastern Caribbean cruises. :( I agree that it's a disaster waiting to happen but in the meantime, these are huge cruise markets not just for Princess but most other cruise lines as well. The general cruising public wouldn't take kindly to a change like this as most passengers are oblivious to anything beyond Main Street. Some don't have a clue where they are or where they're going. On my Crown cruise a year or so ago, someone asked (in a serious tone), "Why is there a Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland? Aren't they the same thing?" On my Crown cruise in September, as we missed Reykjavik, "Why can't we just go to another port for the day? They do that in the Caribbean." Remember the screaming when cruises avoided Mexico due to the swine flu scare? That would be nothing compared to cancelations or changes based on political "might happen" events.

Mexico is still a decent area for cruises as long as the cruises carefully choose their ports. Places like Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are very good ports and safer than most similar sized cities in the USA. What mystifies me is why the lines keep using Acapulco as a port given the violence (and other crime problems) in that city and the fact that the city has long passed its prime as a decent tourist destination. We do think President Calderon deserves credit for trying to improve the situation in Acapulco (he put troops in the streets) but it is not enough to make this a decent port.

Hank

I went to school in Guadalajara, Mexico and absolutely loved the country. This was back in the 70's when you could walk around anywhere at any hour and never be bothered. I was recently invited back as a visiting professor and was thrilled. After accepting the invitation, I decided to visit the State Department website after the travel advisories were issued which was an eye opening experience. There are over 75 kidnappings a month many involving foreigners which go unsolved. If that isn't enough, tourists are pulled from taxis and brutally beaten and robbed. Twenty-eight thousand people have lost their lives since the crackdown and many were innocent children. This forced me to change my mind and stay home and reflect on the fond memories I have of Mexico and the Mexican people. This is a tragedy.

We live in San Diego so we are very close to the border. We actually took 3 cruises to Mexico this year.

I have been a staunch supporter of the MR cruises, as DH likes to play golf down there. However~~~~~ last week we decided: no Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada or Acapulco.

But~~~we will still go ashore in Cabo, Matz., PV, Manzanillo, Xtapa, Loreto, La Paz etc etc. There are still alot of ports that are safe and fun to visit. Just our opinion. :)

Pat

Archived