My opinion on our cabin on the EPIC

k9sar

I have not written a full review of our sailing on the EPIC since sdmike did such a fine job of it and our families traveled together. I have chimed in on various threads concerning the our room (no... I'm not reviving a bathroom discussion) and stated that I felt that the room seemed a bit small but had plenty of storage and was certainly usable without being 'too cramped'. Sure, we did some dancing to get around each other as we were getting ready for activities etc. but it was not so much that it would ruin my cruise or prevent me from booking on the EPIC again.

The interesting thing I noticed as I was crawling around through some old photos was that my opinion of the EPIC may have been a bit skewed by subconsciously comparing it to my prior cruise, yet I still found the cabin on the EPIC to be accommodating for our family of 4.

On the EPIC:

289-vi.jpg

345-vi.jpg

On our previous cruise (actually, my parents’ cabin but ours was the same):

IMG_1957-vi.jpg

IMG_1959-vi.jpg

:D

Thanks for the pictures! What category was the second set of pictures?

That was a GS (Grand Suite) on my RCI cruise. As for the prices... I really don't know how to compare them... we got a really good deal on the RCI cruise and the NCL cruise was a gift so I don't know the price.

Thanks for the pictures but there is no comparison between the Grand Suite on RCCL and the Epic stateroom. Grand Suites come with some suite perks on RCCL - the Epic stateroom looks to be a regular balcony with no suite perks. The square footage in a Grand Suite is much larger than the Epic stateroom. Cost on the Grand Suite is much more than a regular balcony on Epic - haven't sailed in either cabin but recently priced them out for 1 week cruises. I know it is hard to compare apples to apples on two different ships, cruise lines, etc.

The Epic state room seems to be a normal size, with the curves they hyped up. One odd thing is the extra "bunk" bed coming out of the ceiling - that would freak me out if I was the one sleeping on it. I prefer my bed to be on the floor - thank you very much. :eek:

Allow me to chime in too. To the poster that says there's "no comparison", well...to the contrary there's a very important direct comparison here. The main one is price. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED both cruises, but our group of 11 paid the SAME amount for 3 balcony staterooms on a July Epic cruise that we did for an off-season sailing on the RCI Vision in two Grand Suites and one Owner's Suite! Here is the comparison:

RCI Vision Cruise

Early November sailing

Left Long Beach CA

Destination Mexican Riviera (Mazatlan, Cabo, PV)

Rooms: 2 GS, 1 OS

NCL Epic Cruise

Late July sailing

Left Miami

Destination Western Caribbean (Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel)

Rooms: 3 BA balcony cabins

When we cruise our budget is about $10k for all of us, including flights. That's where both of these ended up. For the RCI cruise 6 people flew to the west coast. For the NCL cruise all of us flew, so it skews the numbers just a little.

Here are a few pictures of our OS on the RCI cruise.

IMG_1633-vi.jpg

IMG_1634-vi.jpg

IMG_1636-vi.jpg

IMG_1778-vi.jpg

IMG_1635-vi.jpg

Allow me to chime in too. To the poster that says there's "no comparison", well...to the contrary there's a very important direct comparison here. The main one is price. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED both cruises, but our group of 11 paid the SAME amount for 3 balcony staterooms on a July Epic cruise that we did for an off-season sailing on the RCI Vision in two Grand Suites and one Owner's Suite! Here is the comparison:

RCI Vision Cruise

Early November sailing

Left Long Beach CA

Destination Mexican Riviera (Mazatlan, Cabo, PV)

Rooms: 2 GS, 1 OS

NCL Epic Cruise

Late July sailing

Left Miami

Destination Western Caribbean (Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel)

Rooms: 3 BA balcony cabins

When we cruise our budget is about $10k for all of us, including flights. That's where both of these ended up. For the RCI cruise 6 people flew to the west coast. For the NCL cruise all of us flew, so it skews the numbers just a little.

ummmm... Seems that your mind is going a bit. The Vision cruise was in late July of '08, not November. :D

Can you imagine getting the equiv of an OS or GS on the Epic for the same price as we did on the Vision? Now THAT would be a good time!

ummmm... Seems that your mind is going a bit. The Vision cruise was in late July of '08, not November. :D

Can you imagine getting the equiv of an OS or GS on the Epic for the same price as we did on the Vision? Now THAT would be a good time!

Now wait a second...one of the trips we did over president's week, didn't we? Was that the DCL cruise earlier?

345-vi.jpg

I have a question regarding placement.

Looking at the picture with the beds made up for the night, it "appears" that there is no room from the end of the curved couch/bed to the side of the regular bed. It also "appears" that the 90 degree edge of that drop down bed is directly over either the main bed or the curved bed.

I am assuming the angle from which the picture was shot caused this appearance. So, how much room between the couch and bed? And, more importantly, where is that 90 degree metal piece in relationship to the beds?

Thanks.

I have a question regarding placement.

Looking at the picture with the beds made up for the night, it "appears" that there is no room from the end of the curved couch/bed to the side of the regular bed. It also "appears" that the 90 degree edge of that drop down bed is directly over either the main bed or the curved bed.

I am assuming the angle from which the picture was shot caused this appearance. So, how much room between the couch and bed? And, more importantly, where is that 90 degree metal piece in relationship to the beds?

Thanks.

Hi John -

You're right, it's a bit off due to the angle of the picture. The pull-down is directly over the couch. The end of the pull-down is over the end of the couch, and not in a place where you would beat your forehead on it in the middle of the night if you got up from the main bed. There's about 18 inches between the end of the couch and the main bed, but since the couch moves you can increase or decrease that distance.

Not sure if this different picture helps or not. You can see I have space for my legs and my head is just under the edge of the upper bunk.

753-vi.jpg

Thanks Mike,

That does help a lot. I thought there had to be some spacing. I think the only thing that would worry me about this layout (i.e., bed near balcony) is that piece of angle-iron (for lack of a better word) on the bottom of the upper bunk.

I am never fully awake for the 0300 relief visit, but could see waking up really quick if I weren't careful. That just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Any problems from your point of view?

Well, we really didn't have an issue with the "3am calling" due to our layout (bed by bath), but I guess it is possible if the layout was opposite (bed by balcony). The distance between the pull-down bed and the cabinets is pretty narrow too. I think it was just about shoulder width.

I saw some pictures of an inside cabin with bunks over each bed, so I guess it's a choice of smacking your nose on the bunk or the top of your head. :)

Thanks Mike,

That does help a lot. I thought there had to be some spacing. I think the only thing that would worry me about this layout (i.e., bed near balcony) is that piece of angle-iron (for lack of a better word) on the bottom of the upper bunk.

I am never fully awake for the 0300 relief visit, but could see waking up really quick if I weren't careful. That just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Any problems from your point of view?

I just don't get this at all.

You've said unequivocally that you would never sail EPIC, yet all of your insinuations "accident waiting to happen" are related to YOUR situation: "I'm never fully awake".

I just don't understand the mindset, I guess. I'm unlikely to ever cruise with HAL, and I don't spend all (ANY) of my time on their board commenting on the pros / cons of their ships.

If any of your comments were in any way balanced, I probably wouldn't question them, but almost all are either critical, negative, or suggesting problems where none exist.

Why?

Oops...I'm too late to edit. I meant to say "hash" it out. Phone...Does Alexander Graham Bell ring a bell??? No pun intended.

That "ring a bell" comment reminds me of a hilarious joke. Now I have to go tell it to someone. :)

You've said unequivocally that you would never sail EPIC, yet all of your insinuations "accident waiting to happen" are related to YOUR situation: "I'm never fully awake".

I just don't understand the mindset, I guess. I'm unlikely to ever cruise with HAL, and I don't spend all (ANY) of my time on their board commenting on the pros / cons of their ships.

If any of your comments were in any way balanced, I probably wouldn't question them, but almost all are either critical, negative, or suggesting problems where none exist.

Why?

Awww...now you're just picking a fight right in the middle of my cordial conversation with DocJohn. :)

Why?

Oh, I don't know, Stephen . . . . perhaps just to irritate you. :D

Mike and I were having an intelligent conversation, so not sure what your problem is with that.

Just because I have said I won't sail Epic doesn't mean I don't have friends and family who might or are thinking about it. The picture of the drop down bed caught my attention. MY DD & SIL have expressed an interest in this ship. As he is 6'+, I am sure he will be interested in that little noggin' catcher shown in the pic.

I only spend a modicum of my time while on CC on the NCL boards and didn't know that having to sail on the line was/is a prerequisite for posting here. Once I have verified that to be a fact, I will quit posting here. My posts may indeed be critical (but this is, after all, Cruise Critic), but I think you often confuse criticism for negativity.

yet all of your insinuations are related to YOUR situation: "I'm never fully awake".

Cute . . . . . boorish, but cute.

Archived