Cancellation - Boo Hoo

OK - so we are to leave tomorrow on the Oosterdam with old friends but we need to cancel today because we need to testify Tuesday at a very important hearing. We are waiting until the last moment to cancel just in case the hearing gets moved (does this ever happen in divorce court???).

Anyway, will be calling our TA later today. We have HAL Platinum insurance. Can we transfer our refund (90%) to a future cruise? We have one in mind. Or, do we have to wait for a check from the insurance company (weeks???). Anyone have experience with this?

:mad: (This only serves to deepen my anger, resentment and sincere loathing of my soon-to-be EX son-in-law.)

As a domestic relations attorney, I wonder why the attorney calling you as a witness did not offer to take your testimony by deposition? Did you not tell them that you had a cruise planned? Yes, case frequently get continued at the last minute. They also get carried over to another date because they couldn't finish on the first date. It is a shame if you cancel your cruise because of someone else's court hearing. It should have been avoided.

As a domestic relations attorney, I wonder why the attorney calling you as a witness did not offer to take your testimony by deposition? Did you not tell them that you had a cruise planned? Yes, case frequently get continued at the last minute. They also get carried over to another date because they couldn't finish on the first date. It is a shame if you cancel your cruise because of someone else's court hearing. It should have been avoided.

I agree. Have the case adjourned to another date if necessary.

OK - so we are to leave tomorrow on the Oosterdam with old friends but we need to cancel today because we need to testify Tuesday at a very important hearing. We are waiting until the last moment to cancel just in case the hearing gets moved (does this ever happen in divorce court???).

Anyway, will be calling our TA later today. We have HAL Platinum insurance. Can we transfer our refund (90%) to a future cruise? We have one in mind. Or, do we have to wait for a check from the insurance company (weeks???). Anyone have experience with this?

:mad: (This only serves to deepen my anger, resentment and sincere loathing of my soon-to-be EX son-in-law.)

You get 90% back on your credit card, so you can use how ever you like. You do realize it is 24 hours prior to sailing and HAL will want at least an email confirmation.

get them to reschedule. it is not like this is a murder trial or anything really important.

Although it sounds like it now has the potential....

You do realize it is 24 hours prior to sailing and HAL will want at least an email confirmation.

Gonna go out on a limbe here and say.....no, they do not realize this.

OK - so we are to leave tomorrow on the Oosterdam with old friends but we need to cancel today because we need to testify Tuesday at a very important hearing.)

Thanks for your input and the situation is resolved. For those of you who mentioned that this wasn't important - like a murder or something - well, a divorce hearing for a daughter and grandchildren who have been abused and harrassed and dealing with this for over a year is mighty important in my book. Yes, the hearing could have gone on without us, but we want to be there to see the slimeball go down in flames...and to be there for the comfort of our daughter.

We cancelled last night through our TA. HAL was fantastic. Not only did they cancel without any problems, the applied our insurance refund to a future cruise we scheduled for November...so now we are going on a 2 week HAL cruise vs. a 1 week cruise for not a whole lot more. Yes, we will miss the time with our friends but we will be there for our daughter and have a great cruise right after Thanksgiving.

:D

Thanks for your input and the situation is resolved. For those of you who mentioned that this wasn't important - like a murder or something - well, a divorce hearing for a daughter and grandchildren who have been abused and harrassed and dealing with this for over a year is mighty important in my book. Yes, the hearing could have gone on without us, but we want to be there to see the slimeball go down in flames...and to be there for the comfort of our daughter.

We cancelled last night through our TA. HAL was fantastic. Not only did they cancel without any problems, the applied our insurance refund to a future cruise we scheduled for November...so now we are going on a 2 week HAL cruise vs. a 1 week cruise for not a whole lot more. Yes, we will miss the time with our friends but we will be there for our daughter and have a great cruise right after Thanksgiving.

:D

You did the right thing...we have a daughter with two children who has been through a divorce recently, and I can tell you that I would have done exactly the same thing. I would not be able to enjoy my cruise otherwise! And, now you'll have double the fun in November!

I have HAL Platinum insurance...I'm glad you did, too!

Good luck next week in court.

Bed and Sid,

I agree you did the right thing and can now be with your daughter and grandchildren at a difficult time for them. You will enjoy yourself so much more in November.

Happy HAL worked so well with you.

We would have cancelled the cruise, too. Your dd comes first and her situation was just too important for you to miss. Glad HAL worked with you and you are now booked on a longer cruise. I hope everything works out for your dd and her children.

Archived