Marriage License Carnival's Response

Warm Breezes

just like i told my friend thats going with us. because your birth certificate is not your current name to bring her marriage certificate.

At this point, I will be bringing mine because it seems Carnival's left hand doesn't know what it's right hand is doing. I just want a definative answer that doesn't conflict with their own supporting documents. Let's end the confusion Carnival. Either answer in a way that is supported by your own documented rules or change your documented rules to support your answers. Then enforce your rules consistently. You are sending mixed messages and confusing many people.

At this point, I will be bringing mine because it seems Carnival's left hand doesn't know what it's right hand is doing. I just want a definative answer that doesn't conflict with their own supporting documents. Let's end the confusion Carnival. Either answer in a way that is supported by your own documented rules or change your documented rules to support your answers. Then enforce your rules consistently. You are sending mixed messages and confusing many people.

While I understand that you do not want to turn this into a passport thread, the real truth is that IF you have a passport you do not have any of these issues.

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificate,

etc) and Government-Issued Photo I.D be identical to those on the cruise and airline

tickets. In the event of a different name (name change), documentation supporting

this change is required.

Current, valid driver's license with a photo

Government-Issued identification card with a photo (city/state/federal)

Legal Name Change court document

Marriage Certificate: original or copy

My 5th cruise is in five weeks. I've never needed my Marriage Certificate (although I think I may have carried it anyway on my first few). I think it hasn't been a problem since I've always cruised with my family. I guess it helps when both people listed on your BC are right there with you! But after reading all this I just spent the last hour looking. I found a copy (don't ever remember making a copy) not the original. The info above doesn't say certified copy so I guess this will be sufficient.

I so wish I got my passport BEFORE the fees just went up. Not going to bother for the moment but WILL get one since I hope my next cruise will be to somewhere other than the Caribbean!

Since this is now done I guess I can move on to finding that last pair of perfect shoes I need.

Warm Breezes, I'm glad to see that you've decided to bring the Marriage License. This issue seems to be causing you a lot of stress, and simply packing the Marriage License will pre-empt any problems, should you be asked to present the ML at embarkation.

We all know that Carnival is a huge corporation that seems to have problems with consistent enforcement & knowledge of their rules & regulations (remember the recent discussions about fans and power strips?). So therefore, plan for the worst-case scenario (being asked to present the ML) and be happy about the best-case scenario (all issues with documents aside -- it's the moment you actually board the ship).

Have a great time on your cruise! :)

Warm Breezes, I'm glad to see that you've decided to bring the Marriage License. This issue seems to be causing you a lot of stress, and simply packing the Marriage License will pre-empt any problems, should you be asked to present the ML at embarkation.

We all know that Carnival is a huge corporation that seems to have problems with consistent enforcement & knowledge of their rules & regulations (remember the recent discussions about fans and power strips?). So therefore, plan for the worst-case scenario (being asked to present the ML) and be happy about the best-case scenario (all issues with documents aside -- it's the moment you actually board the ship).

Have a great time on your cruise! :)

It is not causing me a lot of stress. Packing it or not doesn't really matter as it is just a piece of paper.

What does bother me is that Carnival's Website and cruise documents do not mention needing a marriage license. Any first time cruiser reading just these documents would be under the impression that they just need their driver's license and birth certificates. Even repeat cruisers would believe this since many of us have never been asked for our marriage licenses for previous cruises. But now a Carnival rep is telling me that I need my marriage license but is backing up his advise with a document that contradicts what he is saying. If this confuses an experienced cruiser, what does it do to the newbies. Just trying to get the facts straight on what is really needed.

IMHO... If the situation really is a marriage license is required, then Carnival needs to change the wording in their documentation to reflect this and enforce it consistently. If a marriage license isn't required and a current, valid driver's license will suffice, then Carnival needs to better train their representatives and embarkation staff so they know what is actually required, can answer questions correctly and can follow the real rules consistently. Either way, sending mixed messages, in the same e-mail, is not IMHO exceptable and better explanations should be expected.

While I understand that you do not want to turn this into a passport thread, the real truth is that IF you have a passport you do not have any of these issues.

I would also be out $540 that I didn't need to spend and could have avoided spending by asking a few questions.:rolleyes:

What part of THIS IS NOT A PASSPORT thread do you people NOT understand????? Good lord.

Warm, best of luck. Just pack your ML and enjoy your cruise!!

DH and I both have passport cards and I am seriously tempted to just show up with my BC and DL (pp card in wallet) to see if I can get on... lol. But then again, I was just reading another thread about the woman who was trying to check in with cash... no credit card and was having a few problems doing that... lol. So there is NO telling. Heck, they may decide I can't board if I am wearing blue today. Who knows.

Happy cruising and I look forward to your review!!!

Hmmm... maybe the folks who keep TELLING you to get a passport will pay for you to get one???? lol

LOL...I highly doubt it:rolleyes:. They are too busy trying to tell me how to spend my money...I can't see how they have time to worry about their own;).

That is because you keep asking the wrong people. If you want to know what documentation you need to re-enter the country then ask ICE ... ICE ... baby.

That is because you keep asking the wrong people. If you want to know what documentation you need to re-enter the country then ask ICE ... ICE ... baby.

The WHTI documents do not mention needing a marriage license and no one has mentioned customs asking for marriage licenses. The issue seems to come when embarking. Therefore Carnival is the right people to ask since it is their employees processing you at embarkation and it is their document rules that allow you on their ship. WHTI rules allow you into the country...Carnival's rules get you on the ship. Just trying to make sure everyone has the proper documentation to get them on the ship.

OMG. Carnival is telling you the same thing as their website. For once the right and left hand are telling you the same thing. I think your right and left hand are the ones confused. Allow me to explain. The paragraphs below are taken from your original post which was taken from Carnival's webpage describing documentation. See the item in BLUE. It clearly states, just as their email response to you, that if your photo ID and BC do not match you need to bring documentation supporting the change of name. IE marraige license. I do not see how this could be any clearer as both the Carnival rep and the website say the same thing.

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificate,

etc) and Government-Issued Photo I.D be identical to those on the cruise and airline

tickets. In the event of a different name (name change), documentation supporting

this change is required.

[quote name='cb at sea']I've NEVER brought a Marriage lic/cert......no married woman's BC and DL will have "matched" names....it's the birth date they;re looking at...
It's really not needed.[/quote]

Another wonderful miss informed post. Just because you have not needed the marraige license it is clearly required by Carnival. So your advice of not needing one could cost somebody their cruise. Please post factual information or refrain from posting at all.

[quote name='jmorgania'][COLOR=black]OMG. Carnival is telling you the same thing as their website. For once the right and left hand are telling you the same thing. I think your right and left hand are the ones confused. Allow me to explain. The paragraphs below are taken from your original post which was taken from Carnival's webpage describing documentation. See the item in[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]BLUE. [/COLOR][COLOR=black]It clearly states, just as their email response to you, that if your photo ID and BC do not match you need to bring documentation supporting the change of name. IE marraige license. I do not see how this could be any clearer as both the Carnival rep and the website say the same thing. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Names on Travel Documentation[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificate,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]etc) and Government-Issued Photo I.D be identical to those on the cruise and airline[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]tickets. [B][COLOR=blue]In the event of a different name (name change), documentation supporting[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#ff0000]this change is required.[/COLOR][/B]

[/COLOR][/quote]
Below your blue is the supporting documentation allowed....Note the first one....Current, valid driver's license with a photo. I am already bringing that. That is all I have needed on all my past cruises. Why do I need the fourth item on their list too? I don't need to bring the second and third items, so why the fourth? Do you see the contradiction yet????

[quote name='Warm Breezes']Below your blue is the supporting documentation allowed....Note the first one....Current, valid driver's license with a photo. I am already bringing that. That is all I have needed on all my past cruises. Why do I need the fourth item on their list too? I don't need to bring the second and third items, so why the fourth? Do you see the contradiction yet????[/quote]

If traveling without a passport you have always needed BOTH a photo ID and a BC, AND the names have to match or have supporting document why they don't match. Here I've gone to Carnival's site and this is exactly what it says.

[COLOR=red]The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with [B]one[/B] of the following WHTI compliant document:[/COLOR]
[LIST]
[*]Valid U.S. Passport
[*]Passport Card
[*][COLOR=red]Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)[/COLOR]
[*]Certificate of Naturalization
[*]Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
[*]Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
[*]A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
[/LIST][COLOR=red]A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.[/COLOR]

[quote name='jmorgania']If traveling without a passport you have always needed BOTH a photo ID and a BC, AND the names have to match or have supporting document why they don't match. Here I've gone to Carnival's site and this is exactly what it says.

[COLOR=red]The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:[/COLOR]
[LIST]
[*]Valid U.S. Passport
[*]Passport Card
[*][COLOR=red]Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)[/COLOR]
[*]Certificate of Naturalization
[*]Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
[*]Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
[*]A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
[/LIST][COLOR=red]A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.[/COLOR][/quote]

I have both of those items you high-lighted and they have both been sufficient for all my sailings including the one I was on after WHTI was passed. Please show me where it says above that I need my marriage license.

Oh my my my. Go back to your original post. It says that both items must have MATCHING names. How is this so hard to understand. They need the BC to prove citizenship etc. A photo ID to compare against to prove you are the person on the BC. If the BC and ID have different names they can not 100% prove you are the same person. Hence the need for supporting documentation of why the names are different. This isn't a big secret or controversy. This is explained on Carnival's website and confirmed by the Carnival rep who emailed you. Will you need it, maybe not. That is up to the discretion of the gate agent. But the simple fact is that they can ask for it and if you are unable to provide it you may find yourself waiving at the ship as it pulls out of port without you on it.

[quote name='jmorgania']Oh my my my. Go back to your original post. It says that both items must have MATCHING names. How is this so hard to understand. They need the BC to prove citizenship etc. A photo ID to compare against to prove you are the person on the BC. If the BC and ID have different names they can not 100% prove you are the same person. Hence the need for supporting documentation of why the names are different. This isn't a big secret or controversy. This is explained on Carnival's website and confirmed by the Carnival rep who emailed you. Will you need it, maybe not. That is up to the discretion of the gate agent. But the simple fact is that they can ask for it and if you are unable to provide it you may find yourself waiving at the ship as it pulls out of port without you on it.[/quote]

Have you not been reading? She IS taking her ML. The only ones waving will be the reps who checked her in!

[quote name='Warm Breezes']I
If this confuses an experienced cruiser, what does it do to the newbies. [/quote]

I can tell you what it does to a newbie---it causes me to be totally paranoid....like I needed anything else to worry about! :eek:

~j

[quote name='jmorgania']Oh my my my. Go back to your original post. It says that both items must have MATCHING names. How is this so hard to understand. They need the BC to prove citizenship etc. A photo ID to compare against to prove you are the person on the BC. If the BC and ID have different names they can not 100% prove you are the same person. Hence the need for supporting documentation of why the names are different. This isn't a big secret or controversy. This is explained on Carnival's website and confirmed by the Carnival rep who emailed you. Will you need it, maybe not. That is up to the discretion of the gate agent. But the simple fact is that they can ask for it and if you are unable to provide it you may find yourself waiving at the ship as it pulls out of port without you on it.[/quote]

They also say that a current, valid driver's license with a photo is supportive documentation. Why do you keep ignoring that? I have that and it has been sufficient for my previous cruises. If a marriage license is required then they need to get rid of the line that says a current, valid driver's license with a photo is ok and start enforcing the marriage license for everyone and not a select few so there is no confusion on what is actually required.

This is confusion was caused by Carnival's written documentation vs what Carnival's reps say vs what the embarkation staff actually does. Carnival needs to be more specific in their written documentation and their actions so there is no confusion for anyone involved.

[quote name='jburk']I can tell you what it does to a newbie---it causes me to be totally paranoid....like I needed anything else to worry about! :eek:

~j[/quote]

See this is what Carnival does not need. I'm confused and I'm an experienced cruiser. This is the whole point of this thread. To get an actual, non-conflicting answer out there so everyone knows what is really required.

Archived