Formal nights-the truth how I saw it

travelgenie

Just back from a 17 day Panama Canal cruise. There is so much posted about formal nights on these boards, and I just wanted to share my experience. I agonize about packing and really do not like or want to pack formal clothes and with the luggage restrictions with the airlines these days, it is really a pain. There are those here on CC who defend the guidelines on the HAL site, how many times have we had it copied and pasted, we get it, however no where does it say "mandatory" only a suggestion as to what is "usually seen". My observations on this cruise, was that most passengers, although dressed nicely on formal nights, saw very few gowns and tuxes, a great number of men in just shirts and ties and women in pants and a little bling around their neck. No big deal, no one refused entry in the MDR, no one that I heard, huffing and puffing about what others are wearing or not wearing. Times have changed, like it or not, we are a more casual society, look at what people are wearing to church. My advice, to those who are worried about formal nights, no need to stress, gentlemen, take a tie, ladies, add some bling and enjoy!

I have been using black slacks and a fancy blouse on formal nights since I began cruising a few years ago. It has always appeared appropriate. I did wear a black skirt rather than slacks once when I cruised over New Year's Eve.

Alice

DH and I went out this afternoon and bought him a new tuxedo. It is being tailored and will be ready for our upcoming Eurodam cruise. :)

We have never gone on a HAL cruise without him bringing a tuxedo and we aren't ready for him to stop bringing one........ not yet.

I know not everyone wants to be 'actually formal' and that is fine. He still chooses to. HAL defines formal as jacket and tie so, that is what is expected. Anything more is personal choice.

Just back from a 17 day Panama Canal cruise. There is so much posted about formal nights on these boards, and I just wanted to share my experience. I agonize about packing and really do not like or want to pack formal clothes and with the luggage restrictions with the airlines these days, it is really a pain. There are those here on CC who defend the guidelines on the HAL site, how many times have we had it copied and pasted, we get it, however no where does it say "mandatory" only a suggestion as to what is "usually seen". My observations on this cruise, was that most passengers, although dressed nicely on formal nights, saw very few gowns and tuxes, a great number of men in just shirts and ties and women in pants and a little bling around their neck. No big deal, no one refused entry in the MDR, no one that I heard, huffing and puffing about what others are wearing or not wearing. Times have changed, like it or not, we are a more casual society, look at what people are wearing to church. My advice, to those who are worried about formal nights, no need to stress, gentlemen, take a tie, ladies, add some bling and enjoy!

That was our exact observations on the Statendam.

Sail7seas, I totally agree with you...formal nights are special, you"re not going to Outback Steakhouse or wherever you go for a special dinner, you're on a cruise where you can really step it up and wear something you would not wear at home, and feel really good about it....try it, you won't be sorry.

That was our exact observations on the Statendam.

The same here. We went to a presentation by Regent recently and they've gone (for how long I don't know) to country club casual all evenings. It's just a matter of time before HAL does the same thing, IMO. Our TA suggested Regent because she knows that we prefer non-formal dinner attire. :) We still love HAL.

I will admit to anyone that I love formal nights when cruising!

Since I wear steel toes and a work uniform, the chance to dress up on formal nights is one of my fave things.

I notice that it varies with some totally formal with tuxs and fancy dresses to to others with a nice tie and shirt and a nice dress or pantsuit.

I know some people dress up everyday and want to be casual. I have no problem with this, just be neat and clean!

DH and I went out this afternoon and bought him a new tuxedo. It is being tailored and will be ready for our upcoming Eurodam cruise. :)

We have never gone on a HAL cruise without him bringing a tuxedo and we aren't ready for him to stop bringing one........ not yet.

I know not everyone wants to be 'actually formal' and that is fine. He still chooses to. HAL defines formal as jacket and tie so, that is what is expected. Anything more is personal choice.

Hi sail7seas,

Couldn't agree with you more! We don't get the opportunity to dress up very often and just adore doing so when we cruise!

Besides, the men look so handsome in their tuxes. Good eye candy!

DH also has bought a brand new tux, I wear my basic black "cruising formal dress" and both these outfits are looking forward to their holiday - travelling from Australia and America and to other fabulous destinations. They never complain and enjoy the holiday and change of venue. It gets a bit dark and dull just sitting in the cupboard with their less "formal" friends!!

However, chacun a son gout - each to his own taste.

Nicki

I'm with you Sails: My late husband loved to dress formal, along with me. He had a tux and white dinner jacket. Even though I sail solo now, I still dress formal for formal nights and enjoy it. We never had anywhere to go in Greater Vancouver in such attire so really looked forward to dressing up on our cruises together. Must admit though, I feel a little disgruntled if I'm seated at a table and the men are not in a dark suit or tux, never mind some dude without a tie and jacket.

I would agree with all of the above, I recently arrived back from a Noordam cruise...I am happy to dress up and I love a man who does the same and it is so enjoyable watching everyone...but for those who only have a tie or for the women that just use some sparkle around their neck...you all look fanatastic and as long as you are enjoying yourselves....Who Cares:D

I know ladies can wear dressy black pants and a sparkly top on a formal evening, but personally I wouldn't. Each to their own, but I love seeing everyone dressed up, and admiring all the beautiful evening dresses.

The luggage allowance issue is used as a bit of an excuse to be honest. I manage with one 50 lb bag for a 2-3 week vacation, it's not that hard just takes smart planning ;)

I could not put it any better - everyone relax!

I know ladies can wear dressy black pants and a sparkly top on a formal evening, but personally I wouldn't. Each to their own, but I love seeing everyone dressed up, and admiring all the beautiful evening dresses.

The luggage allowance issue is used as a bit of an excuse to be honest. I manage with one 50 lb bag for a 2-3 week vacation, it's not that hard just takes smart planning ;)

For us, the baggage allowance issue is not just "a bit of an excuse". Try managing with one 44 lb bag for a 10-week vacation, which is what we have to do, because of baggage restrictions on our flights from the South Pacific.

To get to our cruises, we have about 24 hours of flying time, so we usually travel for as long as we can while we are overseas.

There is simply no room in our baggage for a tux or formal evening gowns. On formal nights, DH wears a dark suit and I wear black pants and a pretty top.

Well, the way I see it, you have a lot cruise lines to choose from. If you want formal sail with a cruise line that offers formal, if you don't like it, sail on Carnival! You have a choice!

What a silly comment - not all cruise lines sail to where everyone wants to visit e.g. How many cruise lines visit College Fjord?

Relax!

For us, the baggage allowance issue is not just "a bit of an excuse". Try managing with one 44 lb bag for a 10-week vacation, which is what we have to do, because of baggage restrictions on our flights from the South Pacific.

To get to our cruises, we have about 24 hours of flying time, so we usually travel for as long as we can while we are overseas.

There is simply no room in our baggage for a tux or formal evening gowns. On formal nights, DH wears a dark suit and I wear black pants and a pretty top.

Totally agree!

A little black cocktail dress takes up no more room than black pants and a top. There are lots around that look glam, but don't crease and can be washed through easily. :)

A little black cocktail dress takes up no more room than black pants and a top. There are lots around that look glam, but don't crease and can be washed through easily. :)

Well put. For men, how much room does a tie take up in luggage?

Well, the way I see it, you have a lot cruise lines to choose from. If you want formal sail with a cruise line that offers formal, if you don't like it, sail on Carnival! You have a choice!

I have to ask, Is formal night the ONLY reason you sail HAL? By making that statement you make it seem like the ONLY reason one would choose HAL would be because of Formal night.

Another question, what do you do on the non formal nights? Do you hide in your cabin and order room service because the MDR is 'casual' that night?

Not every woman can wear a LBD well - I can't!

A lady should wear what is comfortable for her.

Not every woman can wear a LBD well - I can't!

A lady should wear what is comfortable for her.

Sure, I wouldn't want anyone to be uncomfortable.

This is a bit off topic, but there is a black dress out there for all shapes and sizes, and heights and ages - I must admit it sometimes takes some searching to find the right one though!

There is a style of LBD for everyone.... except maybe not the men ;)

Sure, I wouldn't want anyone to be uncomfortable.

This is a bit off topic, but there is a black dress out there for all shapes and sizes, and heights and ages - I must admit it sometimes takes some searching to find the right one though!

There is a style of LBD for everyone.... except maybe not the men ;)

Oh no there isn't - I know - I have tried, believe me.....:)

DH and I went out this afternoon and bought him a new tuxedo. It is being tailored and will be ready for our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

Sail7seas, we're doing the same thing - buying DH a tux - even tho he has always been a sports coat and tie kind of guy. Cruising HAL motivated us to get serious about our desire to become good dancers. We were enthralled watching those that make it look so easy. So along with dance lessons, he's ready to dress the part.

Not new for me to dress up - I love the chance to put on a posh frock. Part of vacation for us is stepping out of our comfort zone and doing things we don't have the chance to do in our regular lives. Dressing up and dancing are two of those fun things.

Laissez les bons temps rouler . . . Chacun son goût.;)

We are among the few people these days that have a chance to dress up on several occasions throughout the year. But we do it because we are attending "functions". Now we do enjoy our friends at these events but it still seems like we "HAVE TO" dress up. On cruises, we like to dress up just for each other.

Archived