deciding between 2 cruises

momofteens

I'd like some opinions. I'm deciding between the Caribbean Princess out of NY to the caribbean or The Voyager of the Seas out of N.J (Royal Caribbean ship). Both cruises have Pretty much the same itinerary. We are 3 generations of couples. 1 in their 70s, 1 in their 50s and 1 in their 20s. Which cruise to choose??

I have been on the Explorer of the Seas and the Caribbean Princess.

Both are very nice ships and I think you will enjoy your cruise with either ship. You may want to decide on price and what ports each will be going to.

We found the the Caribbean Princess had more daytime activities that we enjoyed than the Explorer. The Explorer had the ice show which was fun, but very very crowded. If you go on the Explorer even with ice show tickets, make sure you get there when the doors open. It was a crazy madhouse for the show we went to. The Explorer had more activites such as rock climbing wall, mini golf, ice skating. The Caribbean Princess had more activities such as lectures, more dance lessons, trivia, etc. During the day, we found out selves rather bored at times on the Explorer. Many of the daytime activities for the Explorer we found were activities that were actually hidden sales pitches for products or services. Princess ships in general seem to have more of a variation in activities and we have done things from dance lessons, magic lessons, caricature drawing, trivia, etc. Also the Caribbean Princess has MUTS, which is a large outdoor movie screen which is like being at a dive in movie under the stars.

The Caribbean Princess has a quiet elegant feel. The Explorer has more of a wow feel. The Explorer has a large sort of main street down the middle of the ship in which a variety of shops and little pub sort of spots open up into, making it feel like a main street in a village. Its a fun place to hang out during the day, but in the evenings, they put up tables down the middle and it becomes more like a flea market with people jamming in to look at all the sale items and becomes very difficult to navigate through.

It is quite an interesting area tho.

On the Caribbean Princess there are more places to look out onto the sea and you were always aware that you were on a ship with alot of windows to look out. With the Explorer there were fewer window areas to look out and often the only way to get to feel the experience of being on a ship was to go up to the upper decks or the promanade.

Service was great on both ships. The food was a better on the Caribbean Princess, particularily in the buffet.

The Explorer has a small loveseat in each cabin but a very small closet. The Caribbean Princess only has a love seat or couch in mini suites or higher, but as huge closet areas with an area to dress.

Frankly you will love your cruise on either ship. Go this year on one ship and next year on the next.

We have been on the Mariner of the Seas 3x and really enjoyed it, but also enjoyed the Emerald Princess. For us lately it has come down to price -- the highest quality ship and services at the lowest price. I really enjoy the RCI product and we used all of the activities (ice rink, rock climbing) but you really do pay for them when you look at the price. Those extra activities often add up to quite a premium that is baked into the cruise price (especially when you look at the Oasis or the Allure).

For us, Princess offers just the "right amount" to do (really, how many times can you mini-golf in one week? and if you do, it's for 20 minutes, right?)

But if it's within your budget, Royal has a lovely product, too.

I've been on both the Crown Princess and the Explorer. My wife and I are in our mid twenties and loved the Crown more than the Explorer. RCI is a blast with good service, good food and endless activities. Princess was by far better in every area. Lots of things to do, great service, and great food and so much less crowded. Movies Under the Stars was a big hit especially for Monday night football. I think you'll enjoy either cruise, but we prefer Princess. I do prefer RCI's smoking policy over Princess'.

Ive never done RCI, but it sounds like you cant go wrong with either! We have a similar dilemma between a 14 day Hawaii with HAL and PRINCESS - we love both lines, basically similar - came down to who can give us the best price for the right cabin/suite.

HAL is about $3K more for similar cabin - HAL has a bigger/better balcony set up but to save that amt of money, hellooooo Princess!

Enjoy!

Decisions, decisions......honestly, we've been on both lines many times. We always go back to Princess because there's just something about how Princess makes you feel that "true cruise" experience.

Like someone else mentioned there's really a feeling like you're on a cruise ship and not just a huge hotel on the water. The Promenade Deck, the subdued decor of "yesteryear", the wonderful crews, the total experience.

No matter which one you choose you won't be sorry. They both offer a wonderful time. Have a great voyage!

If you enjoy a glass of wine in your cabin before dinner, Princess allows you to bring on bottles of wine...and they will supply glasses...and there is a fridge in every cabin. RCI will confiscate, which could be expensive...they do have wine packages, but not as cheap as bringing your own onobard. We bring wine onboard, also purchase drinks and wine onboard, but on Princess we are not treated like criminals if we want to enjoy a glass of wine in our cabin before dinner!

I've decided on Princess! A few of your comments helped me make up my mind. Specifically having more lectures, dance classes ect.. on sea days. The 20 year olds are interested in hanging out by the pool and having a few drinks the older couples enjoy the classes. I also like that the Princess ship has more pools and a movie screen. It's a little bit more expensive but I think I'm making a good decisions. thanks so much.

I've decided on Princess! A few of your comments helped me make up my mind. Specifically having more lectures, dance classes ect.. on sea days. The 20 year olds are interested in hanging out by the pool and having a few drinks the older couples enjoy the classes. I also like that the Princess ship has more pools and a movie screen. It's a little bit more expensive but I think I'm making a good decisions. thanks so much.

Have a wonderful cruise. I don't think you'll regret it at all!

I've been on both classes of ships.. I just feel after a half dozen RCI cruise's through last ten years is that we've out grown them. The Royal promanade is great for the first couple of days, but I grew tired of the forced-fake main street scene and the forced fun feeling. I think you'll find that the Caribbean Princess is really a beautiful ship, and more importantly it feel's like ship, not an enclosed mall.

Lastly the one thing we've come to really appreciate lately on Princess and it might appeal to your 20 somethings, is that all Princess ship are WiFi wired though out the entire ship including cabins.

Srpilo

Archived