Single supplement on Oceania?

HappyInVan

Rickycruz, I don't understand what you are saying. Oceania' single supplements are 200%, except sometimes for inside cabins. And if a single person takes Oceania's air you don't get a credit. If you don't take their air and opt for the credit, you get credited half of what it would be for 2 people.

Rickycruz, I don't understand what you are saying. Oceania' single supplements are 200%, except sometimes for inside cabins. And if a single person takes Oceania's air you don't get a credit. If you don't take their air and opt for the credit, you get credited half of what it would be for 2 people.

frqttrvlr09,

Let's say, for example, the fare Oceania Cruises is advertising for a category G, double occupancy with free air is $1,799 per person. Let's also say that for this particular sailing Oceania Cruises is offering an "air credit" of $500 per person for guests who prefer to book their air independently. Let's also say that Oceania Cruises has no special promotion for singles on this particular sailing.

A single person is not going to use 2 seats on the plane, only one. The fare for a single person using Oceania Cruises air will be $3,098 (1,799 x 2 = $3,598 - $500 (one air credit) = $3,098).

If the single person is not using Oceania Cruises' air at all but booking his/her air independently the "cruise only" fare is $2,598 ($1,799 x 2 = $3,598 - $1,000 (two air credits) = $2,598).

I hope this helps to explain it to you.

RickeyCruz5

frqttrvlr09,

Let's say, for example, the fare Oceania Cruises is advertising for a category G, double occupancy with free air is $1,799 per person. Let's also say that for this particular sailing Oceania Cruises is offering an "air credit" of $500 per person for guests who prefer to book their air independently. Let's also say that Oceania Cruises has no special promotion for singles on this particular sailing.

A single person is not going to use 2 seats on the plane, only one. The fare for a single person using Oceania Cruises air will be $3,098 (1,799 x 2 = $3,598 - $500 (one air credit) = $3,098).

If the single person is not using Oceania Cruises' air at all but booking his/her air independently the "cruise only" fare is $2,598 ($1,799 x 2 = $3,598 - $1,000 (two air credits) = $2,598).

I hope this helps to explain it to you.

RickeyCruz5

mother-goose.jpgThe moral to our story is that singles can save money by booking "cruise only".

Knowing how the system works is more than half the battle, thank you, RickeyCruz5!

mother-goose.jpgThe moral to our story is that singles can save money by booking "cruise only".

Knowing how the system works is more than half the battle, thank you, RickeyCruz5!

Hi Guys, not sure why a single would save more more money by not booking air..If you are flying to Europe from LA and your air credit is $500, I am not sure you can get a coach ticket for $500..so why wouldnt it be less expensive to use O's air?? Just curious..

Jancruz1

Yes, the amount of the air credits vary, depending on when and where you are flying.

And a single person gets credited for one person no matter what that credit is..a single person never gets charged two airfares. A Knitter see you next week!

Jancruz1

And a single person gets credited for one person no matter what that credit is..a single person never gets charged two airfares. A Knitter see you next week!

Jancruz1

Jan, Looking forward to your visit to the Desert. Weather should start to cool off. :)

JimandStan - you are confusing me - why would it be better to book cruise only as a single? - sure you pay less to Oceania, but then you have to pay for your airfare, which might make it more expensive than letting Oceania book your air and getting the credit back for the second airfare.

JimandStan - you are confusing me - why would it be better to book cruise only as a single? - sure you pay less to Oceania, but then you have to pay for your airfare, which might make it more expensive than letting Oceania book your air and getting the credit back for the second airfare.

I'm a little confused myself, Benita. After reading post #6 in this thread, I was sure that RickeyCruz was saying that it was better for singles to book without air as they could only qualify fore one air credit.

This seemed counterintuitive, but I trust RickeyCruz's opinion, so I quoted him.

Then Jan, who I believe works with RickeyCruz (unless there is more than one RickeyCruz), posted that a single person gets the same airfare deal as everybody else.

Truthfully, it does make more sense that the 200% supplement must be based on the cruise only fare, so I guess we are back to square one.

It might be less expensive to book Air through Oceania, or it might be less expensive to book it on your own, but in any case, singles never get charged two airfares.

cedar-2x4.jpg

Now, will somebody please explain to me why a 2x4 isnt really TWO inches by FOUR inches? :confused:

I'm a little confused myself, Benita. After reading post #6 in this thread, I was sure that RickeyCruz was saying that it was better for singles to book without air as they could only qualify fore one air credit.

WHACK!!! :) :)

numbers taken from From Rickeycruz5 explanation

If a single cruiser takes the included air they pay the same fare rate for 2 passengers but get one $500 air credit & still get the air for themselves

If they take the the air credit they pay cruise only fare then they get 2 X the $500 credit = $1000. & still have to find airfare.

They are still only paying $500 (same as pp double rate) for the included air.

As Jan stated it is hard to find air to Europe R/T for $500. pp

If you can find air cheaper than the credit you get .... take the air credit ;)

Hope you are not totally confused by my explanation ...I am sure Don will help out as well :D

Lyn

My post did not include any opionions, simply facts on how Oceania Cruises calculates single fares.

Whether or not a single guest is better off to use Oceania Cruises' air or book his/her own air independently really depends on so many variables, such as the amount of the air credit for the particular sailing, air gateways involved, time of year, etc.

I suppose the same applies to guests who are booked double occupancy. It really all depends on the variables.

Some people have frequent flyer miles also.

Stan and Jim, I would love to have the opportunity to meet you sometime. Perhaps you will be around in February when I will be on Marina.

RickeyCruz5

Stan and Jim, I would love to have the opportunity to meet you sometime. Perhaps you will be around in February when I will be on Marina.

That would be amazing Rickey- :D

We're flying down to Florida on 2/3 (5 days early) to see the Marina come into Miami for the first time, but have no idea what the plans are after that.

It's an awkward situation, but we're keeping our fingers crossed ;)

My post did not include any opionions, simply facts on how Oceania Cruises calculates single fares.

Whether or not a single guest is better off to use Oceania Cruises' air or book his/her own air independently really depends on so many variables, such as the amount of the air credit for the particular sailing, air gateways involved, time of year, etc.

I suppose the same applies to guests who are booked double occupancy. It really all depends on the variables.

Some people have frequent flyer miles also.

RickeyCruz5

I have never used Oceania's air as a couple and/or single. I prefer to be in somewhat control of my air plans and seat arrangements and like most passengers like to arrive days ahead. Sometimes, I use my miles and/or search for a reasonable business class fare. For example, I am flying to Nairobi from LA before my cruise next November. Nairobi to Rome so using their airfare would be out of the question period. I am paying 200% (ouch) and received $900.00 credit for my air plus $200.00 for a Oceania voucher received from my last trip. Experience and comments from other members of this forum are mixed. Some had a smooth flight so to speak and others did not. Personally, I do my own air no matter how little I might save from using Oceania's. :)

I have never used Oceania's air as a couple and/or single. I prefer to be in somewhat control of my air plans and seat arrangements and like most passengers like to arrive days ahead. Sometimes, I use my miles and/or search for a reasonable business class fare. For example, I am flying to Nairobi from LA before my cruise next November. Nairobi to Rome so using their airfare would be out of the question period. I am paying 200% (ouch) and received $900.00 credit for my air plus $200.00 for a Oceania voucher received from my last trip. Experience and comments from other members of this forum are mixed. Some had a smooth flight so to speak and others did not. Personally, I do my own air no matter how little I might save from using Oceania's. :)

If I don't have enough points for a frequent flier ticket and the Oceania price (including the deviation fee and price differential for my chosen flights) is less than buying the air on my own, I use Oceania to book the tickets. We always fly in early and usually stay late, so a deviation is the way to go. I still retain control of my air plans and seat assignments, I just pay for it with my final payment, instead of immediately which occurs when I book the tickets on my own. The problems that most people have with cruise lines booking the flights is that they are at the mercy of the cruise line for the flight choices - doing a deviation alleviates that concern.

If, however, the flights are cheaper to book on my own, I do that and take the air credit. On our upcoming Alaska cruise, the air credit is $750 a person and we can fly nonstop from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco for about $400, so I gladly took the credit.

If I don't have enough points for a frequent flier ticket and the Oceania price (including the deviation fee and price differential for my chosen flights) is less than buying the air on my own, I use Oceania to book the tickets. We always fly in early and usually stay late, so a deviation is the way to go. I still retain control of my air plans and seat assignments, I just pay for it with my final payment, instead of immediately which occurs when I book the tickets on my own. The problems that most people have with cruise lines booking the flights is that they are at the mercy of the cruise line for the flight choices - doing a deviation alleviates that concern.

If, however, the flights are cheaper to book on my own, I do that and take the air credit. On our upcoming Alaska cruise, the air credit is $750 a person and we can fly nonstop from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco for about $400, so I gladly took the credit.

Exactly, the best deal on the flight is what works best for everybody. Enjoy Alaska. We had beautiful weather even in May of this year. :)

Archived