Please something positive

catskier

I am So tired of all the negativity.

As stated on a previous tread......why all the complaints?

I have had the worse year in my life- seriously, I will not go into the drama.

But it would be nice to hear happy things, besides the boring guy who wants his child to sail for free, or the one who thinks the ship owes him something since he thought his cabin should be bigger then the rest.

Come on people, if your traveling seabourn we have a ton to be thankful for, or even if you can take 7-14 days off work, or even have a job.

I leave next week, and I am lucky to be alive this year. Why can't I Hear how much fun someone had at the buffet in the morning prior to seeing the most incredible historic sites in the world?.??? instead of " we can't have sit down service"

Nothing is perfect. Why are there not any happy great reviews? it can't be that bad.

But it would be nice to hear happy things, besides the boring guy who wants his child to sail for free, or the one who thinks the ship owes him something since he thought his cabin should be bigger then the rest.

Come on people, if your traveling seabourn we have a ton to be thankful for, or even if you can take 7-14 days off work, or even have a job.

I leave next week, and I am lucky to be alive this year. Why can't I Hear how much fun someone had at the buffet in the morning prior to seeing the most incredible historic sites in the world?.??? instead of " we can't have sit down service"

Nothing is perfect. Why are there not any happy great reviews? it can't be that bad.

Life many times is as good as we want to make it. We wake up each morning and have the ability to be as happy as possible and enjoy the positive things around us or we can make the decision to over analyze every minute detail and miss the joys of life. In today's world it's not always easy to be positive. But I do believe those of us that are fortunate to be able to cruise on a Seabourn Ship or any other cruiseline are very blessed and hopefully will make every moment special by what we do, not what others do for us.

Celebrate your time aboard Seabourn and return with memories for a life time.

Shirley

You are so right, Catskier. In December we will be embarking on our 3rd Seabourn cruise. I fully expect to come back and report on the fabulous times we had while on the Legend. Happy sailing to you!

Well 12 of us got of Legend in July, I had a big birthday and we all had a ball ages 20 - 64, there were a few little things that needed sorting and have to say, it did not take long, funny night on the deck party, my girls were concerned about my hair..... they said it had turned blue, when asking Karl (Hot Man) had my hair turned blue, he could not stop laughing, only the bottom part where I had been relaxing in the hot tub, somehow the levels had got a bit high !!!! Good job I saw the funny side, the hairdressers did manage to sort it out with tomato and cranberry juice, lovely. Have some great photos of me with the blue hair.

Seabourn is wonderful with the best crew you could ever have, sometimes things are not quite as we would hope for, but we are all not perfect, but I tell you what, I think they are as near perfect as you can get and I for one can not wait until the next time. Fingers and Toes crossed it will be soon. Angie

Everyone sees things from different perspectives.

For us, we approach life they way you have described it which is that we see the half glass as being full.

We know that we have so much to be thankful for.

Most people on this planet will not ever cruise and if they do the number of people cruising on a luxury cruise line will be quite small.

And many people around the world are facing major challenges from health to worrying about where are they going to sleep this evening and where will the next meal come from.

We know that life goes by very quickly and we have much to be thankful about.

In the scheme of things, most negative items I read about on all the cruise boards are relatively minor.

Again, we all see things differently, but many times in life we do get wake up calls that do indeed remind us of what is important and what is relatively trivial in the scheme of things.

Have a wonderul cruise and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Keith

Thanks, catskier, for your contribution to put things back in perspective!

I recently sailed with Seabourn for the first time (Odyssey, Mediterranean, 7-day) and had the most wonderful time. I didn't care that the MDR was not open for breakfast and lunch; I had excellent food and service consistently. While not everything was perfect - even though I am new to cruising, generally I have high standards when it comes to the hospitality industry, having stayed with many 5-star Asian hotels and flown with top airlines in all classes - the positives overwhelmingly outweighed the negatives.

Perhaps ignorance can be bliss. Being new to Seabourn, I did not need to dwell on how things used to be or reminisce on the glorious good old days gone by... I was on the boat to start a new tradition, celebrate the now, and look forward to the future. Granted, the future may not look as bright for those with heavy luggage, but perhaps it's the new reality given today's economic realities and revised value proposition. In any case, it's our money, and our choice. Personally, I'd rather travel light and let the heart soar.

I took my first Seabourn cruise October 2-9 on the Odyssey from Athens to Venice. The second day of the cruise, a lady said to me, "If you aren't happy on the Seabourn, you can't be happy anywhere." She was right! The service in all venues of the ship was outstanding. I liked the breakfast buffet in the Colonnade, and ordered from the wait staff, too. I have found getting soft boiled eggs the way I like them a world wide problem (I have been to all 7 continents), but the Odyssey made them perfectly! As a first timer traveling solo, every evening I received an invitation to dinner in the Restaurant, each time with a different staff member, including Captain Ian McNaught. Now that's attentiveness! I will do another Seabourn cruise for sure.

I would be willing to bet that most people who consistently post negative attitudes about Seabourn (or any cruise line) are negative in all aspects of their life. Their vacations are merely examples of how they view the planet and their entitlement. What a pity for them!

Here is a positive spin on what could be a service "glitch" (It wasn't really a glitch - just perceived that way by the Seabourn staff):

While aboard the Spirit in June, we were eating breakfast on the aft deck. My husband had ordered some eggs. They took a few minutes to arrive so we were looking around, enjoying the scenery. It was the Med. In June. With perfect weather every day. Of course we were enjoying the scenery!

Anyway, one of the head waiters noticed my husband looking around, came rushing over and asked what he had ordered for breakfast. not 2 minutes later, he was back with the requested poached eggs, apologizing for the delay. (Delay? We hadn't noticed...) He had clearly gone to the kitchen to request new eggs be poached.

A couple minutes later he comes back "How are your eggs, Mr. Keys Guy?" "They are great, thank you." "Would you like some more?" he asked, snickering as he had the plate of the mysteriously misplaced-then-reordered eggs in his hand.

It was quite funny, and proved to us when there are glitches - even as minor as eggs taking slightly too long to arrive - it is generally handled perfectly.

Of course, the one day we went to the MDR for lunch, we were the only ones there and were welcomed heartily. But, alas, we left and went to the aft deck - no need to keep the dining staff there for just us!

Glitches. We sailed Seaborn Sojourn in August. We had breakfast in our suite one morning and called for the tray to be picked up. We wanted to leave to go....wherever...and when we were nearly ready to leave, called a second time for the tray pick up. Really...this wasn't a big problem BY ANY MEANS. We just didn't want the stewardess to have to handle it. Well, Seaborn perceived this as a HUUUUGE problem for us, apparently. That evening, a knock on the door and a waiter brought in a beautiful tray of caviar and accompaniments, champagne and seared tuna. What an incredible "apology" for something we didn't really see as a problem in the first place! Seaborn is incredible!

We were on the Spirit September 18 cruise. Our first Seabourn curise and it was wonderful. Could not ask for more.

As far as the main dining room for breakfast and lunch, we could see why they might close it for breakfast and lunch. We went to breakfast once, two other couples there. Lunch once, one other couple there and it was one of those at the breakfast we went to (never saw them except in the dining room, not sure they ever got off the ship). Although service and food were great in the MDR, we felt lonely! We felt much more comfortable in the buffet which was great.

By the way, we are Regent "loyalists" but when asked which we would cruise in the future, our replies were "it would depend on the itinerary". Both are great!

What could be better than Istanbul to Athens on Seabourn seeing some great, charming historic areas? You will have Dikili, Kusadasi/Ephesus and Bodrum in Turkey; Santorini, Mylos and Navplion in Greece before docking on October 30 in Piraeus (Athens). In late June 2006, we did many of these stops on the Seabourn Spirit going from Athens to Istanbul. Focus on the great positives for what you will see, do and enjoy. Below are a few visual previews from our Seabourn. It's a great area to visit. We have not been on the Odyssey, but I'm sure the food, staff, service, people, etc., will be very good to excellent.

THANKS! Enjoy the experience! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here was our view from the Seabourn Spirit of Istanbul as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

To the south of Istanbul, here is one scene of an old fort along this part of the Dardanelles that separate Europe and Asia. The amount of shipping along this route is large and very interesting.

BopshOldFort.jpg

At Ephesus, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

At Bodrum along the Turkish Coast, here's a religious tower and view of the town in background:

MintTower.jpg

In a small village on Mylos, here is a colorful group of flowers at a doorway:

GreekIsleDoor.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic Palamidi military fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor. This fortress is on the crest of a 216-metre high hill. It was built by the Venetians during their second occupation of the area (1686-1715).:

Nap.jpg

But it would be nice to hear happy things, besides the boring guy who wants his child to sail for free.......

I'm sorry you find my posts boring. I do try to give a little back by way of advice on Cruise Critic and, where appropriate even attempt a little humour from time to time.

I try to post on a wide range of topics, usually at length - and there possibly is my downfall :) . I try to post beyond the state of my health, family life, number of previous cruises and the price of taxis. I love the diverse cultural and geographical mix on here - by here I mean Cruise Critic in general rather than the Seabourn enclave.

Above all I try not to insult other posters, one never knows their circumstances or background.

I wish you a full an onward recovery from your accident and trust you have a pleasant cruise in a week's time.

Oh, and I wasn't trying to get a free child place on board. I just felt slightly under $4,000 for a third person child was too expensive. I posted my thoughts as much to give Seabourn feedback from a regular cruiser smack bang in the middle of their future customer radar.

All my questions were genuine ones, I sought not to cast aspersions on the company and may yet venture aboard at some stage in the future - with screaming brat kicking, fighting and generally upsetting everyone ;)

Calm down dear - I'm only joking (about screaming, kicking, fighting and upsetting).

Keep smiling.

Henry :)

I am at the airport heading to Istanbul... I am so excited.

I know I will love this trip. Thanks to all on this board.

I am sorry as person with out children I feel they should pay the same price. I will all know how great it is.

simply beacuse seabourn is not the same anymore ,

it is the "carnivalised" version of what it used to be

Amen to that!

Along with yet another large ship coming into play it is only going to slide even more. Hard core long time Seabourners are standing firm with a line they have come to adore. However, if things continue downhill, perhaps it's time even for them to don the life vests.

Oh dear, a this thread about good news has deteriored. I'd like to go back in the original theme and give an example of how Seabourn is still a wonderful experience.

On our recent cruise we went shopping with the chef( twice!). On our excursion in Livorno the Maitre D'( a young man we first met years ago as a waiter) came along to help carry our purchases so the kitchen staff could have some well deserved time off. In the market my husband was excited to see a beautiful display of squash blossoms and mentioned to the Maitre D' that he loves it when I stuff them and deep fry them. That night at dinner our waiter brought out the most beautiful and scrumptous servings of squash blossoms to our table for dinner. It seems that once we returned to the ship after shopping the Maitre D' returned to the market to buy the blossoms and asked the chef to come up with an interesting dish for us.

Oh dear, a this thread about good news has deteriored. I'd like to go back in the original theme and give an example of how Seabourn is still a wonderful experience.

On our recent cruise we went shopping with the chef( twice!). On our excursion in Livorno the Maitre D'( a young man we first met years ago as a waiter) came along to help carry our purchases so the kitchen staff could have some well deserved time off. In the market my husband was excited to see a beautiful display of squash blossoms and mentioned to the Maitre D' that he loves it when I stuff them and deep fry them. That night at dinner our waiter brought out the most beautiful and scrumptous servings of squash blossoms to our table for dinner. It seems that once we returned to the ship after shopping the Maitre D' returned to the market to buy the blossoms and asked the chef to come up with an interesting dish for us.

That sounds nice but 10 years ago I gather the Maitre D' would have chewed and swallowed them for you as well.

And go where?

I understand food/service in Cunard 'Grills' were sliding also a few months ago. Now things appear to have bounced back (after passenger complaints were addressed) to perhaps even better than before. Perhaps Seabourn could take a lesson and learn some form of lesson from Cunard although, with 3 large ships to fill and a new market for a younger crowd, it probably aint gonna happen.

Archived