Airport Security with water bottles

Berk987

Has anyone ever had problems with the following in their carry on luggage that goes through security?

1. empty plastic water bottle. I want to refill at the water fountain. I drink lots of water and can't see myself buying 3 bottles to carry around (too heavy) the airport.

2. empty stainless steel water bottle. same reason as above.

Which is easier to bring and get through security? Granted with the plastic, I used it once or twice and toss it. With the stainless I can wash and reuse. Usually we put the stainless in our check in luggage.

Thanks.

I just flew with my empty thermos and travel coffee mug. I carried both in my carryon. I left the tops off so when they looked they could see what it was.I even put it in the tub with my shoes. I was concerned in the checked luggage, when the looked, the bag would have to be opened to verify what that cylinder was.

FYI, when I arrived at PHL we were on a two week bus trip. I wanted my coffee with me.

You should be fine at North American airports. I've always carried it through with the cap on and never had a problem. If there is a question, you can always take the cap off for a check. However, I've never found a fountain I've trusted in overseas airports.

I carry an empty Nalgene bottle through security. It's much lighter than the stainless steel, reusable, and because it is not opaque there is no question about it being empty. It is also pretty much indestructible. The one I have is smaller than some so it fits into the holders in tote bags and cars that are meant for water bottles or soda cans. I believe I bought it at REI.

TSA has looked at it, but never had a problem with it.

Has anyone ever had problems with the following in their carry on luggage that goes through security?

1. empty plastic water bottle. I want to refill at the water fountain. I drink lots of water and can't see myself buying 3 bottles to carry around (too heavy) the airport.

2. empty stainless steel water bottle. same reason as above.

Which is easier to bring and get through security? Granted with the plastic, I used it once or twice and toss it. With the stainless I can wash and reuse. Usually we put the stainless in our check in luggage.

Thanks.

I have taken empty sports bottles (insulated) through in my carry-on luggage.

And, since it takes up a bit of space, I pack other things inside it.

The wide mouth sports bottles are much more useful than a plastic water bottle for this reason alone.

Also, many places will give you a free fill up with ice if you like your water cold, as I do.

Since the sports bottles are plastic, they won't set off the x-rays as stainless steel would. And they are washable and re-useable. Plus mine is insulated.

Good luck,

r.

. . . is different. Realized that the first time I was leaving Guatemala and had to throw out (or drink at the gate) the bottled water I'd purchased in the gate area.

If you're traveling in the USA, no problem. But if you're out of our country, do check restrictions in any of the countries you'll be in.

Archived