For Fee Steak and Lobster

mrsd2fan

It's probably a good time to cancel your subscription to Yesterday's News. :p :D

Too funny.

Yes..I love coming here to ask an innocent question only to be greeted with sarcasm....makes one afraid to ask anything

Actually, what I think the OP is referring to is this: on our Jewel cruise last week, on "Surf and Turf" night, you could still get the usual fare on the dining room menu, but they had the small card on the table saying for an additional fee you could get lobster and steak instead of what they were offering on the dinner menu (which IIRC might have been shrimp or steak, or maybe the usual "Caribbean" lobster which IMO tastes like nothing). I believe the additional-fee lobster is more of a Maine/Canadian lobster. I think I overheard the waiter say that they have it available every night; I think they just put the card on the table for "Surf and Turf" night to hook a few additional dollars from those who aren't aware.

Charging extra for something in the MDR? This has been happening for soda and alcholic drinks and specialty coffees ordered at dinner ever since I've been cruising. I don't have a problem with also charging for premium meat or seafood or other dishes, as long as there is something reasonably good to eat for "free" also. Now, if the intent is to reduce the quality of the free food, then yes, I have a problem. Also, I think the price of the premium steak is a little high -- $14.95, espcially since all you are paying for is the quality of the meat. I assume it still costs the same to cook the meat, serve it, clean the dishes, etc., as it does for the flat-iron steak. RCCL would to well to reduce the cost of the premium steak -- more would probably order it then and overally RCCL would probably make more profit.

Actually, what I think the OP is referring to is this: on our Jewel cruise last week, on "Surf and Turf" night, you could still get the usual fare on the dining room menu, but they had the small card on the table saying for an additional fee you could get lobster and steak instead of what they were offering on the dinner menu (which IIRC might have been shrimp or steak, or maybe the usual "Caribbean" lobster which IMO tastes like nothing). I believe the additional-fee lobster is more of a Maine/Canadian lobster. I think I overheard the waiter say that they have it available every night; I think they just put the card on the table for "Surf and Turf" night to hook a few additional dollars from those who aren't aware.

Just off the Jewel this morning and we also saw lobster being offered for an additional fee. They were Maine lobsters and were offered starting on day 2, they got them in Portland. They had a surf and turf or a whole lobster. The surf and turf included a petite filet. The additional fee was $14.95. I saw one person with the whole lobster, it was a decent size, probably a little over a pound.

Just off the Jewel this morning and we also saw lobster being offered for an additional fee. They were Maine lobsters and were offered starting on day 2, they got them in Portland. They had a surf and turf or a whole lobster. The surf and turf included a petite filet. The additional fee was $14.95. I saw one person with the whole lobster, it was a decent size, probably a little over a pound.

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention and confirming what the OP had heard. I apologize to the OP and thank them for starting this thread, it appears that this is something very new being done aboard RCI.

I wonder if this was a trial to see what the response would be or if this is something that will be offered on a regular basis?

The cynic in me thinks that once RCI saw CCL running a trial of for-fee steak and lobster they figured they could start doing the same thing. :)

Does anyone have any reports of the lobster being offered on any other ships/itineraries?

Just back from 1 week cruise in the Med. on Voyager of the Seas. The food was just OK but there was NO LOBSTER at all offered in the MDR. Big disappointment. The quality of the food has gone down hill over all. The beef served in the MDR was tough and not edible at all. It was a very low quality beef.

It's probably a good time to cancel your subscription to Yesterday's News. :p :D

Pretty sure the steak thing has been going on for about 2 years now - you have the option of upgrading the steak in the MDR, but they still have a steak available, pretty sure, most nights, for free.

Haven't heard anything about Lobster.... I know I enjoyed quite a few helpings of it a few weeks back. :cool:

They had surf & Turf at Portufino's twice during the cruise for $25.00 on the Mariner.

We just got off the Enchantment last Saturday, and the 1/2 of the table behind us were eating whole lobsters! We managed to miss this on the menu because I would guess they were offered with the chops steaks, but they looked excellent. They were only offered the one night.

I wish I could tell you how much, but like I said, we didn't see them until they were served. Since we had eaten lobster in almost every port (Canada/NE itinerary), we probably would not have ordered them anyway.

Archived