For Fee Steak and Lobster

mrsd2fan

What's this I hear that RC is now charging for steak and Lobster in the MDR??

It's probably a good time to cancel your subscription to Yesterday's News. :p :D

Pretty sure the steak thing has been going on for about 2 years now - you have the option of upgrading the steak in the MDR, but they still have a steak available, pretty sure, most nights, for free.

Haven't heard anything about Lobster.... I know I enjoyed quite a few helpings of it a few weeks back. :cool:

My dh and I always travel with our kids (teens) but taking a 4 night cruise in January on the Radiance without them for our 20th anniversary (which really was in September).

Anyway, since we travel with them and usually for longer cruises, we usually do the speciality restaurants once. This time, since we are cruising only 4 nights, I'll do Chops twice and Portofino twice.

We always talked about doing this and if I am paying in the MDR, I may as well just do the speciality.

That will keep me out o fthe MDR all together LOL

I haven't been on a cruise in over 2 years...so I didn't know anything about it...as long as they still have steak on the menu that's not for fee..I will be happy

they have a black angus sirloin available every night under the alternative selections that is included in your fare.

some people will tell you its tougher than shoe leather. the one I tried was good and cooked to order so thats all I can go on.

they will also offer a NY strip one night as well. again, opinions vary on this cut of beef.......its not USDA prime but I found it edible.

the Chops filet is offered every night at 14.95 in the MDR. its wonderful!

What's this I hear that RC is now charging for steak and Lobster in the MDR??

While RCI has been offering a "Chops Grille" quality steak as a for-fee alternative to the steaks, that still remain, on the MDR menu for quite a while now, it is Carnival who is testing a for-fee lobster and steak in their MDR.

Here is an article about Carnival's test program that was posted here at CC a little more than a week ago...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4122

Are you confusing this with Carnival?

They are testing USDA Aged Prime, lobster, and two other meals on three ships that don't have a specialty restaurant.

RCCL has been offering a thicker cut of fillet on all their ships for 2 years now, but it is not USDA Prime.

I noticed on the RCCL menus that they had an additional fee filet from their Chops Grille restaurant every night in the main dining room. I have no problem with that. I may try it out if nothing on the menu appeals to me one night. I haven't cruised a bunch, and I have not utilized any of the additional charge restaurants thus far. This might be the only way I would get something from Chops, as I don't see me making reservations for one of the restaurants on the ship.

Are you confusing this with Carnival?

They are testing USDA Aged Prime, lobster, and two other meals on three ships that don't have a specialty restaurant.

RCCL has been offering a thicker cut of fillet on all their ships for 2 years now, but it is not USDA Prime.

I am confusing the lobster part w/Carnival..sorry

Two weeks ago on the LOTS there was a "for fee" steak on the MDR menu. It came from Chops and was in addition to the MDR "free" steak. Don't recall seeing lobster, but it could have been.

The steak doesn't is not actually cooked in Chops. It is a Chops "quality" cut of beef cooked in the MDR galley and is offered on all RCI ships. Very good by the way. Glad that they offer it.

I am confusing the lobster part w/Carnival..sorry

Not to worry. RCI does have the for-fee chops steak alternative but there is still other beef selections available that are not an extra fee.

I have had the regular steak off the MDR menu plenty of times. It has almost always been cooked exactly the way I want and always delicious.

You don't have to spend any extra money on a steak if you don't want to.

I like the idea of being able to have a chops cut anytime in the mdr for half. Sometimes going to chops feels like a production. Because I'm paying extra, I over eat.

I agree. Sometimes you don't want to spend two hours at dinner. Also, on our last cruise, we ordered for room service. It was also very good. Love having all the options. ;)

First they will have to start actually serving "lobster" in the MDR before they can start charging for it.

I'm not sure that is true.

I'm guessing you meant they would actually have to start serving "lobster" in the MDR before you even think about paying for it. It doesn't seem like anything would stop them from attempting to charge.

I'm not sure that is true.

I'm guessing you meant they would actually have to start serving "lobster" in the MDR before you even think about paying for it. It doesn't seem like anything would stop them from attempting to charge.

Good point!

Archived