century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

Oh dear, another black mark against Celebrity! Hope that doesn't slow your recovery down, it must have been a very long journey home for you travelling with a fracture.

Although rough seas caused a terrible experience for the passengers aboard RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, it was wise that the parent company of Celebrity stepped up to the plate immediately by refunding the cruise money although the cruise continued. Perhaps they have learned a lesson in how to treat passengers, unlike how they treated the Celebrity Century cruisers in October.

Although rough seas caused a terrible experience for the passengers aboard RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, it was wise that the parent company of Celebrity stepped up to the plate immediately by refunding the cruise money although the cruise continued. Perhaps they have learned a lesson in how to treat passengers, unlike how they treated the Celebrity Century cruisers in October.

I don't buy that.

If they really "learned a lesson", they would step up to the plate and be more generous with us. The way they nickel and dimed the passengers on our cruise will not endear any of us to the Celebrity product.

I'm looking at the Carnival Magic Med Cruise in May, same (almost) itinary, I might just book that one with Carnival. I had cruise with Carnival Freedom in Oct. of 2008 and had a marvelous time. I had seen more of the cruise director on Freedom the first day than the 3 days combined when we were stuck on the Century at Villefranche.:eek:

An update so everyone should be aware, my son had called Celebrity, and the $100 incidentals SHOULD BE a stand-alone reimbursement. Here is the email my son sent me:

"Just got off the phone with Diana again.

Some more BS about their computer system not working properly, and how she tried to put through a request for 5x$100 when it should have been 4x$100 and 1x$100 due to the separate booking numbers.

She apparently had a chat with their accounting department a day or two after we last spoke about this, and she “forgot” to rectify it. She says it will all be put through to the same credit card as the airfare refunds within 3-5 business days.

Prior to being transferred to Diana, the girl on the phone (Bailey I think) told me that the $100 was included in the 3-days accommodations they covered. I had to direct her to the Cruise Critic article explicitly stating that the accommodation coverage was above and beyond the $100/pp incidentals. She apologized profusely and said she was told otherwise….

And you still want to book a cruise with these chumps?!"

I post this just so everyone should be aware they SHOULD be reimburse their $100/person incidentals.

Thankyou Mel369 . That is what I had thought but Guest Relations UK seem to think otherwise.

There is either a complete communication failure at Celebrity Guest Relations or they have been told to act dumb and only pay out what is owed to us when we question them .

I received a letter with a cheque for our original airfare ,dated 8th Dec,stating that we would not be receiving any further reimbursment and yet Cynthia Martinez of Celebrity released a statement on Cruise Critic News on the 23rd November saying we would. It was only when I pointed this out on the phone , that I was told we would receive the additional flight money and hotel ,albeit less the $100 each which I will now phone about again tomorrow.

WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF GUEST RELATIONS AT CELEBRITY SHOULD BE SACKED FOR THIS FIASCO !

Not what I would call 'service' by any means.

I guess we are among the lucky few who have received all compensation from Celebrity and what they didn't cover our travel insurance did.

There is no doubt Celebrity's handling of this whole fiasco leaves much to be desired but I would encourage everyone to persevere and hopefully they will eventually reinburse you fully.

The miserable 25% cruise credit still doesn't sit well with me given the large increase in fares next year and feel that a certificate allowing us to book a similar cruise for what we paid this year would have been much fairer.

I guess we are among the lucky few who have received all compensation from Celebrity and what they didn't cover our travel insurance did.

There is no doubt Celebrity's handling of this whole fiasco leaves much to be desired but I would encourage everyone to persevere and hopefully they will eventually reinburse you fully.

The miserable 25% cruise credit still doesn't sit well with me given the large increase in fares next year and feel that a certificate allowing us to book a similar cruise for what we paid this year would have been much fairer.

I'm pleased to hear you have been fully reimbursed, and thanks for your good wishes for the rest of us. We are still waiting a response from Celebrity having submitted what receipts we had ~ we didn't keep all the meal and taxi receipts but will be happy if we get compensated for the hotel and meal costs that we did submit receipts for. I just wish this was all settled, it seems to have been a long uphill struggle.

Would you mind sharing with us exactly what your insurance covered? Thanks

Would you mind sharing with us exactly what your insurance covered? Thanks

Our travel insurance covered the cost of a hotel that we had to stay in for a night on the way home, the costs associated with cancelling a hotel reservation that we had in Barcelona for the end of the scheduled cruise as well as meals and other sundy costs.

Celebrity indicated they would reimburse for meals in Barcelona when receipts are submitted, but only incidentals in excess of the $100 per person already received.

Also, we pre-purchased museum tickets for Florence from a private company. Those will be considered too.

However, although we received the 25% future cruise certificates, and also re-issued certificates for the ones that helped pay for the Century cruise (from a cancelled cruise last Spring), I was told that I can't combine the certificates for one cruise. So I have to book 2 cruises to use them all.

I'm sailing on the Summit Saturday. I asked them for some special dispensation for this December trip, considering what I've been through (March cruise cancelled for health reasons, October one for mechanical problems.) I'll receive chocolate covered strawberries.

Wish me less drama this time!

Celebrity indicated they would reimburse for meals in Barcelona when receipts are submitted, but only incidentals in excess of the $100 per person already received.

Also, we pre-purchased museum tickets for Florence from a private company. Those will be considered too.

However, although we received the 25% future cruise certificates, and also re-issued certificates for the ones that helped pay for the Century cruise (from a cancelled cruise last Spring), I was told that I can't combine the certificates for one cruise. So I have to book 2 cruises to use them all.

I'm sailing on the Summit Saturday. I asked them for some special dispensation for this December trip, considering what I've been through (March cruise cancelled for health reasons, October one for mechanical problems.) I'll receive chocolate covered strawberries.

I wish you less drama! Enjoy the strawberries.

What a coincidence, we had to cancel a cruise in March for health reasons so were doubly disappointed when the rudders played up. (We also had a holiday in Portugal cancelled because of the volcanic Ash!)

Tempting though the chocolate covered strawberries may be ~ we are going to await our reimbursement letter before booking any more cruises with Celebrity!

Hope you enjoy the Summit, we did.

No-RCCL didn't learn. The only reason they gave them a refund is because the passengers revolted...as we should have done!!! They only offered $200 to $400 on board credit to start with and the passengers were yelling and saying that's not enough. They have video clips of this.

I am fully convinced that if we had it to do over again I would have definitely gathered everyone who would on the ship and refused to get off until they promised fair compensation! That's what we needed to do. Can you imagine the press they would have gotten for physically removing passengers from the ship as the cell phone cameras rolled?? We should never have left the ship until we had fair compensation worked out IN WRITING for each passenger on the sailing. That's the only way to get their attention. We were all JUST TOO NICE AND ACCOMMODATING!

No-RCCL didn't learn. The only reason they gave them a refund is because the passengers revolted...as we should have done!!! They only offered $200 to $400 on board credit to start with and the passengers were yelling and saying that's not enough. They have video clips of this.

I am fully convinced that if we had it to do over again I would have definitely gathered everyone who would on the ship and refused to get off until they promised fair compensation! That's what we needed to do. Can you imagine the press they would have gotten for physically removing passengers from the ship as the cell phone cameras rolled?? We should never have left the ship until we had fair compensation worked out IN WRITING for each passenger on the sailing. That's the only way to get their attention. We were all JUST TOO NICE AND ACCOMMODATING!

Someone approached us to do just as you describe. BUT, remember our situation was different. We were told we had to GET OFF THE SHIP. We had to plan how and where we were going. That's where all our energy was directed. We were left to our own devices and we were stressed. On the Royal Carib, the cruise continued and there was time to plan and execute a sit-in. I still cannot get over how we were maltreated and how little respect Celebrity has for it paying passengers.

Hoping you have a relaxing and amazing cruise. You deserve it after the way we've all been treated. I too have applied my credits that were supposed to be used on the Century to another cruise, but it's not until 2012. Can't seem to get up the nerve to book a second to use my Century credits...... and chocolate covered strawberries, while tasty, would not be enough to change my mind at present.

I think it'd have to be several bottles of wine and/or champagne : )

How cute, chocolate covered strawberries!!! What did we as passengers, ever do to Celebrity to deserve such obnoxious treatment? Couldn't they just go an itty, bitty, bit out of their way to show you some real consideration for what you endured on the October 13th Med. cruise.

It is now very clear as to why they ordered the Century's Captain and his crew to deep six themselves when he told us to be off the ship asap. They were worried that he & his staff might spill the beans and let the passengers know the real reason for the rudder failure and when they were really aware of this dangerous situation. The Captain of the Brilliance of the Seas reportedly goofed by making a few statements and they covered quickly by given those poor, seasick passengers a totally free cruise, even though it was weather related and not mechanical like the Century's.

They can thank us for their generous compensation. It's obvious that RCCL, parent company of Celebrity, didn't want another PR debacle on Cruise Critic!

How cute, chocolate covered strawberries!!! What did we as passengers, ever do to Celebrity to deserve such obnoxious treatment? Couldn't they just go an itty, bitty, bit out of their way to show you some real consideration for what you endured on the October 13th Med. cruise.

It is now very clear as to why they ordered the Century's Captain and his crew to deep six themselves when he told us to be off the ship asap. They were worried that he & his staff might spill the beans and let the passengers know the real reason for the rudder failure and when they were really aware of this dangerous situation. The Captain of the Brilliance of the Seas reportedly goofed by making a few statements and they covered quickly by given those poor, seasick passengers a totally free cruise, even though it was weather related and not mechanical like the Century's.

They can thank us for their generous compensation. It's obvious that RCCL, parent company of Celebrity, didn't want another PR debacle on Cruise Critic!

Carolina, yesterday, you posted somewhere else. I so wanted to read it, but had trouble opening it up. Now I see it is gone. What did you say?

I thought I saw your name on either the tip or dress code thread. Maybe I am mistaken?

Nope, not I>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My sister and her husband are taking a Celebrity cruise next month and I'm scared for their safety. So little consideration and compassion was shown to us on this cruise. My brother-in-law is not in the best of health and I shudder to think what would have happened to them had they been at the receiving end of our mistreatment. He would never have survived that 10 hour bus ride back to Barcelona.

I've been following all the posts on this thread diligently, but have never read any posts as to the "real reason for the rudder failure". Did I miss something, or did you see this on some other webpage? Please let me know where I can read about the real reasons for the rudder failure on the Century. Also, has anyone ever confirmed that Celebrity filed the necessary legal notices of the cruise cancellation with the local maritime authorities, and what reasons did they give for the cancellation?

After to many phonecalls to list, too many excuses, poor information, and on and on, we finally received a check yesterday for the remainder of the monies owed by Celebrity.

I hope that everyone else has been reimbursed as well.

Happy holidays to all.

My parents received their final check yesterday- the $250 each for their flight change fees. Celebrity ended up sending a check to the travel agency, even though they did not pay the fees. It took longer, since then the agency had to process the check and cut one to mail my parents. Typical, but at least it is FINALLY done.

Leaving on my very first Carnival cruise in just a month. They are the only line left sailing from Charleston, which is nice for us in the winter. No worries about canceled flights due to bad weather. I really don't know whether we'll like it or not. Celebrity was a much better fit. Trying to be positive : )

Wishing those of you who celebrate a very blessed Christmas and all of you smooth sailing for 2011!

Archived