century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

After to many phonecalls to list, too many excuses, poor information, and on and on, we finally received a check yesterday for the remainder of the monies owed by Celebrity.

I hope that everyone else has been reimbursed as well.

Happy holidays to all.

I sent my claim in to my travel ins. provider on 11/12 and sent in the same claim to Celebrity on 11/13. On 11/19 the ins. co. paid approx. $960 under both Trip Delay and Trip Interruption, basically for my expenses associated with the three extra days I had to stay in Barcelona waiting for my flight back to the US. On 12/10 Celebrity sent me an e-mail basically ignoring my claim, and just reiterating that they had already paid the $250p/p air ticket change fee and the $100p/p incidental expenses, but since I had trip insurance I had to look to them for payment of my other expenses. They said if my claim was rejected (about $1330 was denied) then I could re-submit my claim for further review. What's interesting is does this mean that the people who were paid for up to three days in Barcelona while waiting for their flights, did not have trip insurance? If that is the case, shouldn't Celebrity pay for my trip ins. premiums of approx. $350, because that saved them from paying out the $960 they would have paid if I didn't have the insurance?

Also, I've always believed that if Celebrity ruined my vacation and inconvenienced me to this extent due to a mechanical problem that is 100% their fault, not to mention the poor customer service given after the cancellation, that they should be responsible for ALL my costs as if no reservations had ever been made for cruise, hotel, travel ins., etc.. Am I alone in this belief, or am I asking for too much? When you advised that you received a check from Celebrity for the remainder of the monies owed, did this just cover the cruise, and air, or did it cover ALL your costs for this aborted, one day cruise? Were there any costs that you decided you would pay for because maybe they occurred pre-cancellation and that Celebrity shouldn't have to pay them, even though you wouldn't have gone to Barcelona except for this cruise? I'm trying to decide if I should continue my pursuit of the $1330 I am out of pocket and still feel I am owed by Celebrity.

I did not submit charges for anything (excluding airfare) prior to getting onboard the ship either to the insurance company or Celebrity. I felt that the three days prior to the cruise that we spent in London was at our choosing and did not feel that we needed to be paid. I did submit claims for the adjusted airfare and the one night, plus meals, until we left Nice, France on Sunday. We were also reimbursed for our meal on the way home from our local airport.

I was not paid for parking, or some of the cell phone charges (roaming), nor the cost of converting the Euros back to dollars.

I was very disappointed in Travel Guard Insurance. We had purchased an expensive "Gold Plan" and was not reimbursed for much of anything because of "rudder malfunction". No trip interrruption etc. Would not go that route again!

Will try to go back at Celebrity once again for the remaining charges that were denied by insurance company and see what happens next.

We have signed up to do the same cruise in October, 11. Hopefully we will have a better cruise!

My PC has 'died' so I'm just catching up on the last few days.

Still not heard back from Celebrity since the acknowledgement of our letter claiming hotel and meals (with related receipts) after the aborted cruise, they promised to get back to us in 28 days. Can't see us getting anything settled before Christmas now! If it is not sorted by the New Year we will start chasing it up, their '28 days' will be long overdue.

We didn't claim for the 3 days in Barcelona prior to boarding ~ that was after all, our choice. We had also booked a couple of nights hotel in Barcelona for the end of the cruise but we were able to cancel that without penalty.

I am pleased to see so many people have been reimbursed, it will be nice to draw a line under this awful experience.

This couple won't be booking the same cruise again next year!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

I still think every one of you should write a review of your cruise for ship review section. This thread may eventually die but your review there may have a longer life alerting more potential passengers to the possible problems they may face. Try to write it in a objective way so as not to be rejected. If they do reject it ask why, resubmit, report back, etc.

SueBee - you are so right about the reimbursement for travel insurance. We bought insurance and have had nothing but problems getting reimbursed for our claims. I'd thought about pressing Celebrity for travel insurance costs but I can't even get them to acknowledge receipt of my claims for Barcelona, post-cruise, that my travel insurance denied. I was able to get some medical costs for my fractured ankle from travel insurance but that took lots of complaining and phone calls. Frankly, this appears to be the one time that it may not have been beneficial to have travel insurance.

Dotty

Same here, I purchased travel guard and it did pay the $750/pp for trip delay, not trip interruption since mechanical problem is not covered in the plan I purchased :( Well, at least it gave me a few hundred $ back.

Celebrity said they are sending me a check for the 3 days post cruise expenses, but I haven't got the check yet and it's been almost a month. The rep. did say it may take a while and she had no idea when the check will get cut. Hopefully it's really coming on my way at some point, or I will be giving them a call again after the New Year.

Wish you all a very happy holiday season and hope all your new year's travel won't be as crazy as the one we had!

Which type of policy did you purchase? We didn't get any $$ for a trip delay! We purchased the Gold pkg. and were not very pleased with the insurance policy at all!

If it's any consolation, we purchased our travel insurance through a different company and we are having a really difficult time getting reimbursed. I don't want to use the name since "negotiations" are still in progress. We purchased the insurance with our cruise package through an online travel agency. The travel agency is helping us with our reimbursement. With our bad experience with travel insurance, we were researching a different insurer for our Med. cruise next year. Travel Guard was first on our list based on recommendations from friends. Not sure what to do now. I have to say that my friends had an excellent experience with Travel Guard but they had to cancel their cruise before they left due to health issues. It sounds like travel insurance may not work too well for a canceled cruise, no matter the insurer.

I still think every one of you should write a review of your cruise for ship review section. This thread may eventually die but your review there may have a longer life alerting more potential passengers to the possible problems they may face. Try to write it in a objective way so as not to be rejected. If they do reject it ask why, resubmit, report back, etc.

You are probably correct about writing a review but the disdain I feel for Century's captain and staff is so strong right now, I'm sure any review I would write would be rejected. I'm going on a Royal Caribbean ship for Christmas and I'm hoping that the experience will be a refreshing change from the awful October cruise. I love to cruise but the Century fiasco has dampened the pleasure.

You are probably correct about writing a review but the disdain I feel for Century's captain and staff is so strong right now, I'm sure any review I would write would be rejected. I'm going on a Royal Caribbean ship for Christmas and I'm hoping that the experience will be a refreshing change from the awful October cruise. I love to cruise but the Century fiasco has dampened the pleasure.

I do not understand why it would not be published. So cruise critic would not not post if it was negative review. If thats the case why even have a review section. I hope thats not the case because its your opinion and you should be entitled to it. I hope there not in bed with the cruise lines.

Which type of policy did you purchase? We didn't get any $$ for a trip delay! We purchased the Gold pkg. and were not very pleased with the insurance policy at all!

I bought Travelex's travel select plan. It cost $266 for 2 people and they reimbursed $750/each for trip delay. I had no trouble with them at all. They actually were the first one to give me $ back. The reps are all very nice and helpful!

I bought Travelex's travel select plan. It cost $266 for 2 people and they reimbursed $750/each for trip delay. I had no trouble with them at all. They actually were the first one to give me $ back. The reps are all very nice and helpful!

Problem was you weren't delayed..you were interrupted and they found a way out of that - they all did.

I received everything owed me by Celebrity.They still screwed me over by taking back the $100 for incidentals:mad: How petty they have been. Every time I think of that cruise I talk myself out of looking at this years X cruise schedule.The 25% was an insult!!

I agree they have behaved very badly ~ and 25% is an insult.

We are still waiting to be reimbursed for our claim. Nothing in today's mail so called the UK guest relations office but they are closed ~ will try again tomorrow as their (2nd lot of) 28 days are now up!

I received everything owed me by Celebrity.They still screwed me over by taking back the $100 for incidentals:mad: How petty they have been. Every time I think of that cruise I talk myself out of looking at this years X cruise schedule.The 25% was an insult!!

That is totally tacky, although I guess they feel they have given you a complete refund.

If you are in the US will the 25% cover a Carribean sailing at 100%? Just a thought to do something with little investment (even if you still need to pay for airfare).

That is totally tacky, although I guess they feel they have given you a complete refund.

If you are in the US will the 25% cover a Carribean sailing at 100%? Just a thought to do something with little investment (even if you still need to pay for airfare).

You just made me curious. Is the 25% toward another cruise based on the cost of the cruise you book, or the cruise that was taken? I have been of the opinion it is the former, not the latter. If so, your idea cannot be utilized.

You just made me curious. Is the 25% toward another cruise based on the cost of the cruise you book, or the cruise that was taken? I have been of the opinion it is the former, not the latter. If so, your idea cannot be utilized.

Today I received a holiday card from the Captain's Club Team thanking me for sailing with Celebrity this year. "We know how precious vacation time is, and we're honored that you choose to share yours with us".

Just when I'm finally calming down a little from the horrible Oct. 13 non-cruise experience, Celebrity manages to do something else to really tick me off.

What a bunch of phonies!!!!!

It is 25% of the price paid for the aborted Century cruise. If someone paid $2,000.00 per person than their credit would be $500.00 per person.

It is 25% of the price paid for the aborted Century cruise. If someone paid $2,000.00 per person than their credit would be $500.00 per person.

Thank you. That is good to know and makes a bad situation just a little more bearable. The entire matter, though, has left a very bad taste in my mouth toward Celebrity, and I let them know that when filling out my comment card at the end of our Eclipse cruise 10 days ago.

I agree they have behaved very badly ~ and 25% is an insult.

We are still waiting to be reimbursed for our claim. Nothing in today's mail so called the UK guest relations office but they are closed ~ will try again tomorrow as their (2nd lot of) 28 days are now up!

We have just heard from Celebrity that they will be issuing a a cheque to cover the expenses we claimed. What a relief to have this sorted. I hope everybody else has been reimbursed.

I think the idea of using the 25% to pay best part of another cruise is excellent. We had booked a suite on this cruise as it was a special anniversary. I'd settle for an inside cabin on a future cruise just to use the voucher up!

My husband and I had booked a cruise for January, 2011 several months ago. Unbeknownst to us, the future cruise credit of 25% from the cancelled Century cruise in October, was applied to this upcoming cruise back in November! We never submitted the official voucher and when I tried to apply it to a new cruise booking for October, 2011, I was told that it had been "used" on another cruise!

Just a heads up for you to be vigilent!

Well, Corporate gave us a tray of 6 chocolate covered strawberries due to our October troubles.

The ship's rudder functioned very well. But there was still some drama - we had to stay 2 extra days in San Juan in order to get a flight back to New York.

I'll expand more in my review, but suffice to say we were dismayed by the decline in the cuisine and many other shortcomings.

If we didn't have to spend the future cruise credit, we otherwise would not sail on Celebrity again.

We've had everything we requested reimbursed in October, November and December. December was due to us sending in our receipts a little late. We are quite satisfied with the reimbursements and have booked a Solstice cruise in February to apply our 25% discount. This was not our 1st cruise, our 30th actually and we, like everyone else were very disappointed but redirected our efforts to providing ourselves with an alternate vacation. We spent time in Spain then did a Transatlantic, followed by a short Caribbean cruise. When you travel a lot you can expect things to happen, good and bad. I believe it's how you react to it that is important. Be it Celebrity or any other travel company, you must always be ready for the unexpected!

Archived