Cute or not....

Talli

I like the grey one. It is very tasteful. I agree that the pink one is poorly constructed, you should never see seems like that. I don't know about the taste level, it kind of depends how it looks on you. The one with the bow/flower, is a little early 90's looking to me...that's me.

But, it really matters what you feel great in. If you feel great, you will look great.

i like all of them! i plan on wearing short dresses too, even though im an average 5'6'' height....

i dont want to push any buttons here, and forgive me if this comes out wrong!!! but... i wonder if older posters are the ones who dont like the first two? i could be totes wrong here, but im 26 and i love em all...:o

Have you tried second hand stores, I bought 2 formal dresses there and paid only 6$ each. Give them a try you might find something and it'll be easier than buying something on Ebay. Just a tought. Oh and I do like the pink dress and gray dress.

i dont want to push any buttons here, and forgive me if this comes out wrong!!! but... i wonder if older posters are the ones who dont like the first two? i could be totes wrong here, but im 26 and i love em all...:o

There's no way to tell a poster's age unless they want to mention it, but a lot of the comments are really focusing on the fact the first one looks dated, and the second one is poorly made.

and don't have the body for #1 (MAYBE #2 in my size...)

#1 doesnt' look dated at all.

And since when does how well a dress is made have anything to do with whether it is appropriate for dinner.

They are both lovely--and you will be too!

Wow. Love the wine color of the first dress, but don't like the dress. It DOES look dated in a way. The second one is just a big NO. And whoever upthread said it didn't MATTER that the dress is very poorly made? So wrong! It DOES matter and it DOES show. No reason in the world to by CHEAP. The last one looks like a night gown to me unless you're maybe a very young girl.

And if you're shopping eBay for "evening wear" make sure the dresses aren't coming from China! Those ARE very poorly made, cheap and could take forever to get to you. (Then REALLY hard to return when you find what a piece of junk it is!)

A good second hand store IS a good idea. I've perused one near me and there are always lots of cocktail dresses and evening gowns - pretty things for next to nothing! People like us, probably, who buy something new to cruise or wear on a trip then don't want to wear it again! Give 'em a try!

So I decided to take some of the advice from here, and I ended up borrowing two dresses from a friend, even though I only needed one. I just couldn't decide so am going to bring them both and wear one

A decision has been made! So I decided to take some of the advice from here, and I ended up borrowing two dresses from a friend, even though I only needed one. I just couldn't decide between two of them, so I am going to wear one to the steakhouse one night and the other on one of the elegant nights. In case your curious one dress is a black knit material, one shoulder and is floor length. Attached is the link for the other one, which will be worn to the steakhouse. This one is longer on me than on the model.

http://www.express.com/2-in-1-chiffon-vertical-ruffle-dress-27676-22.prouser_att_name=Interest&Mrsavf=*&Mpper=3&Mcat=22&Mpos=36&Mcatn=Dresses&Mcatp=cat_2&user_att_value=Email&Mpg=SEARCH%2BNAV&Mppg=0&Mrsaa=*&Mcatpn=category

Also a few comments on the three dresses that I originally posted. I really like the styles on all three dresses but I do think the burgandy one would have overwhelmed my body type, which I didn't even think about until it was mentioned here. The second one (pink) I didn't realize that the dress does look shoddily made until I looked at the HUGE pic I posted, the small one I saw on ebay did not show those flaws. Also the seller said that the brand is BCBG MAXAZRIA and it is 100% silk and retails for about $250. So I don't know if this particular one was just a lemon, or what since that brand is normally really nice, IMO. Also the third one I do not own, just another dress I saw on ebay that I liked. But again decided to just borrow from a friend and save myself some money :D. Also If anyone was wondering (I think someone was....) I am 32 but most people think I am mid-20's (someone called me 18 last night which I found hilarious!) and wear a size 2-4 depending on brand, even after having 2 children :rolleyes:.

Well, I just wanted to again thank everyone for their help! I hope you all have wonderful cruises!

Happy Cruising!

Talli

I'm shorter than you are, and I think the bow on the first one would be overwhelming for a petite person.

I also vote for the gray, which has the added bonus of being "free" since you already own it.

DITTO!

I am 5 foot and one half of an inch..but my friends say I have a TALL personality/!:D

The gray is by far the best. I also agree with the person to check Ross. TJMaxx and Marshall's are good alternatives too.

And someone else said it also but to iterate: people will be wearing everything. As long as you feel you look nice, that's what's important!

Have a wonderful time!!

I actually like the second dress, but I wouldn't wear it on formal... errr... "Elegant" night. I'd wear it on a casual night. Then again, I always overdress.

I'm honestly not a fan of the silver. It might just be how it's laying on the bed in the picture.

The first dress is a bit seasonal. Perhaps if it's a winter cruise.

I find the best dresses on the clearance racks at Dillard's.

It's all academic now since the OP has made her choices but the pink one is not necessarily poorly made. Many eBay sellers post pictures of dresses in unpressed condition. Also, if it is silk, what seems like poor wormanship is accentuated. All the pink needs is a pressing or steaming. I bought this 100% silk BCBG Max Azria dress and it looked "rough" but after pressing, it looked GREAT.

23135a.jpg23135c.jpg

I actually agree. But the dangers of cheaply made clothes extend to more conservative styles as well. If the cheap look is someone's style, that's fine. But I'd still prefer to see them in nicely made "cheap" clothes. One of my friends just adores dressing like she is for rent. I love her, though I would never borrow clothes from her. It makes her happy and I'm not one to judge. (Until I have a son, and he wants to date her younger twin. :D I'll have to make sure the packaging is not representative of the contents.)

The pink one reminded me of a bath towel wrapped around somebody coming out of the shower.

A decision has been made! So I decided to take some of the advice from here, and I ended up borrowing two dresses from a friend, even though I only needed one. I just couldn't decide between two of them, so I am going to wear one to the steakhouse one night and the other on one of the elegant nights. In case your curious one dress is a black knit material, one shoulder and is floor length. Attached is the link for the other one, which will be worn to the steakhouse. This one is longer on me than on the model.

http://www.express.com/2-in-1-chiffon-vertical-ruffle-dress-27676-22.prouser_att_name=Interest&Mrsavf=*&Mpper=3&Mcat=22&Mpos=36&Mcatn=Dresses&Mcatp=cat_2&user_att_value=Email&Mpg=SEARCH%2BNAV&Mppg=0&Mrsaa=*&Mcatpn=category

Also a few comments on the three dresses that I originally posted. I really like the styles on all three dresses but I do think the burgandy one would have overwhelmed my body type, which I didn't even think about until it was mentioned here. The second one (pink) I didn't realize that the dress does look shoddily made until I looked at the HUGE pic I posted, the small one I saw on ebay did not show those flaws. Also the seller said that the brand is BCBG MAXAZRIA and it is 100% silk and retails for about $250. So I don't know if this particular one was just a lemon, or what since that brand is normally really nice, IMO. Also the third one I do not own, just another dress I saw on ebay that I liked. But again decided to just borrow from a friend and save myself some money :D. Also If anyone was wondering (I think someone was....) I am 32 but most people think I am mid-20's (someone called me 18 last night which I found hilarious!) and wear a size 2-4 depending on brand, even after having 2 children :rolleyes:.

Well, I just wanted to again thank everyone for their help! I hope you all have wonderful cruises!

Happy Cruising!

Talli

Hooray for good friends, I say. Have a great time.

Thanks again for all the replies! I really do appreciate all of the opinions! I was looking at all of these on ebay, since they were the only ones that were really within my price range.... All the stores in my area that I have visited recently really don't have anything that I like or if they do, it is more than I am willing to pay. I don't dress up very often so can't really justify spending much on a dress that I might not wear again.

I was leaning toward the grey dress but am a little worried that it might be too flowy, I definetely don't want to look pregnant! Also I did ask the seller to provide me with the measurements of the dress but that was 2-3 days ago and they haven't responded so now I am a little leery about puchasing from that seller.

I cruise in 4 weeks! Woohooo! So I have to make a decision soon! I will let you all know what I decide to go with.

Thanks!

Talli

Go buy a basic "little black dress" of good quality in a timeless style, and you will use it over and over and over for the next decade or longer. Choose carefully and you can change the look by adding a jacket or wrap or different jewelry. Nobody really looks that closely that they would notice that it's the same dress several nights on a cruise.

Perhaps you are right there, but borrowing from friends is cheap, fun and allows for swapping, so nothing lurks in a closet for years gathering dust, and the clothes get worn and give pleasure to a few rather than the one! I'm all for it, especially for evening wear.

I am 34...Not sure if that makes me "older"...it's older than you ;)

I just saw TWO celebrities in a dress nearly identical to the pink one in In Touch! One was Reece Witherspoon (she did put a black belt with it...quite cute!) and can't remember who else...so CLEARLY the style is quite fashionable!

Archived