Food quality on Emerald Princess

sw1002

Hi Folks,

we recently received a message from our friends who were on a 20 day caribbean cruise on the Emerald Princess in september, that comparing to Sea Princess the food quality is very bad. E.g. for breakfast there was no ham serving only pancakes and french fries or generally the food was of lower quality.

Can anyone of You comparing Emerald Princess to other Princess ships confirm that or is this nonsense what they are saying? For us it was a really huge step up from Carnival when we were sailing on Sea Princess last Year the Panama Canal 15 days route.

Hi Folks,

we recently received a message from our friends who were on a 20 day caribbean cruise on the Emerald Princess in september, that comparing to Sea Princess the food quality is very bad. E.g. for breakfast there was no ham serving only pancakes and french fries or generally the food was of lower quality.

Can anyone of You comparing Emerald Princess to other Princess ships confirm that or is this nonsense what they are saying? For us it was a really huge step up from Carnival when we were sailing on Sea Princess last Year the Panama Canal 15 days route.

We sailed on the Emerald in april , july and sept. and the food was wonderful........

Hi Folks,

E.g. for breakfast there was no ham serving only pancakes and french fries or generally the food was of lower quality.

We've been on 18 Princess sailings and have never seen such a thing...

serving only pancakes and french fries??? Are they sure they were on Princess and not the SS Mickey D's???

We have never had a complaint about the food on any Princess ship.... we were on the Emerald in August and the food was great...

I read the same post with the comments they made & all I can say is either it's the one and only Princess ship shat had gone downhill in the past few months or the person is very, very critical. Perhaps they didn't have ham on that particular morning at the buffet - it does happen, but there will be other items substituted for sure. I wouldn't base my opinion on just one person's comments, whether good or bad unless you actually know the person making the comments.

If the food actually did degrade to the quality the poster alluded to, don't you think there would be dozens of posters saying the same thing? We'll be on the Emerald this Tuesday and I have no concerns that the quality and selections will be a good as on our previous 3 trips.

Just returned from the wonderful Emerald sailing on Sept 29, 2010 with 8 days of rain on our 10 cruise. The food inside of Horizon was good. I saw bacon, eggs of every type, smoked salmon, pancakes, French toast, tons of fruit, danish, potatoes rounds (like hashbrowns), different type of cheeses, oatmeal, grits, breakfast quiche, egg benedict (with ham), sausage links, vegetables, rolls, and more.

Even with a 8 days of rain, missing a port, toliet working on and off for 3 days, and moving to another cabin I enjoyed my cruise. What a better way to start your first cruise:D. When life gives me lemons I try my hardest to make lemonade...

Hopes this helps.

i was on emerald sept 5th and actually thought my food was better quality than the food on other princess ships recently-i ate at the breakfast buffet twice and there was plenty to choose from. i only saw one type of hash brown which is a good thing? how many potatoes does one need to choose from at breakfast? you can always order a fresh omelette with ham if you need to have meat in the morning.

We've been on 18 Princess sailings and have never seen such a thing...

serving only pancakes and french fries??? Are they sure they were on Princess and not the SS Mickey D's???

We have never had a complaint about the food on any Princess ship.... we were on the Emerald in August and the food was great...

Hey now, why beat up on the golden arches? They don't serve fries at breakfast, either. It might be entertaining to have a McD's cruise line, though. "This is Captain McDonald speaking. We'll be cruising through the McNugget fjords shortly, but expect rough weather and a bit of a "shake", though your stomaches might get a bit flurry." Grimace as cuise director, and hamburglar as steward. Fry guy cabaret at 8 PM each night...

Sorry, got carried away. The breakfast food was top notch on the Crown last year (sister ship). Even the buffet was great for that kind of fare.

We were on the Emerald in September and the food in the buffet was good. It's your usual offerings of fruit, cereal, eggs etc. A buffet is what it is but we never went hungry. We found the food in the MDR hit and miss, some nights the ingredient combinations were kind of strange to us. This is always subjective though as someone else might not of thought anything of it. We loved the pizza bar and if we had a night where we were still hungry we went there. The Emerald is a lovely ship with lots of options, we had an amazing time.

There is one menu & it even has a name, but I can't remember what it is :rolleyes:; anyway it had chili, fajitas etc. That screams to me to go to the buffet or a alternative restaurant. Seems like the diningroom was less crowded that night & we soon found out why!! I'm sure some love that menu, but it's not for me.

As far as breakfast goes, the buffet has almost too many choices. The diningroom breakfast is fantastic as is the International Cafe. No worries, the food is good & plentiful.

Jan

We were on the Emerald Princess in Sept and made the following comment: One thing Princess knows how to do is the food!! The Emerald did not disappoint!! We found the food to be quite good, as it has been on every Princess cruise on which we have sailed. Not sure what they were speaking about....the food quality was great, although this is such a personal thing. I am not a meat eater and found the fish, even in the Cafe Caribe was excellent. The fish in the main dining room was amazing, as was the shellfish. We couldn't have been happier about our options....sometimes hard to chose just one (but we tried our best not to overindulge).

I think if you are not a total foodie, you will really enjoy the food on the Emerald. Just as a plus, all the servers were top notch as well.

After watching some that eat the same thing every morning for breakfast, I would guess that what you read was someone that did not like the variety that changes from day to day and when the items they 'always eat' were not there, they were disappointed. That is the one great thing I love about Princess, they always have a great variety and it does change from day to day. All they would have had to do was to visit the dining room for breakfast, and I would bet they could find those foods they craved there. ;)

My hubby and I enjoy trying new foods...sometimes it is wonderful and sometimes we don't care for it. But, for me, that is what makes dining so much fun.

We have been on 6 Princess cruises, and we have never been disappointed.

Archived