Triumph's Five Day cruise to NOWHERE? 10-11-2010

Carol1560

What else would you like to have seen from Carnival? Not trying to be rude, but they refunded the charge for the port, they kept you safe and gave what the contract promised you. What else would you want?

I was on the cruise also. My biggest issue has always been when a port is missed there is nothing going on to make up for it. I missed a port on the cruise before this one due to the swine flu, and there was nothing going on.

I really enjoy having things go on poolside and fun around the ship when there are sea days. But the only thing going on this time were movies. No up beat music, no pool games nothing it was treated just like we were at port. I totally understand the staff has days off and all of that. I am just saying I really wish there was more going on when a port is missed.

I understand that I picked to take the risk this time of year so I totally understand the port change...I really dislike the port we got stuck with but I delt with that.

We on the other hand had ZERO issues getting on or off the ship. :-) We also had great weather even if we were doing nothing. Now don't get me started on my dinner service I got or the dirty dishes every night we went....but it happens and I will be on Carnival Glory in March and will take my 20% off a 3-5 day cruise as well at some poit.

As for the question what you should do...well you can complain to them or write a letter but they wont do anything. Sorry you got yelled at when getting off.

Greetings, fellow cruisers! I and 9 GF's were on this cruise. This was our 5th annual cruise and our first 5 night cruise. While we all would have loved another port day, we all agreed that is was a great cruise!

We all weren't about to waste any time figuring out where we could have gone or what the Captain should have done. We had a lovely day in Key West and the Captain, IMHO, did a GREAT job sailing us through some of the very best sunny sea days we have had so far.

We all had our likes and dislikes, some had really good stewards, some didn't. Four of us had AFT balconies and while our stewards wasn't as personable as some in the past, we had no complaints. Our wait staff was terrific and it's the first time we have tipped our maitre de..Paul kept us laughing every night. We tipped everyone extra, as we usually do. Now that I know about people removing tips because of the weather, I'm glad we did.

We also agree that embarking and disembarking was the easiest we had experienced and we kinda liked sailing through without going through customs:p.

As I told my friends, there is more to taking a ship to another port than "oh, let's go to......we've got time." I'm sure ports occasionally can't accomodate another ship with a few days notice.

I'm gonna try to write a mini review but just wanted to say that we had one of our very best cruises and the smiles never left our faces!

Greetings, fellow cruisers! I and 9 GF's were on this cruise. This was our 5th annual cruise and our first 5 night cruise. While we all would have loved another port day, we all agreed that is was a great cruise!

We all weren't about to waste any time figuring out where we could have gone or what the Captain should have done. We had a lovely day in Key West and the Captain, IMHO, did a GREAT job sailing us through some of the very best sunny sea days we have had so far.

We all had our likes and dislikes, some had really good stewards, some didn't. Four of us had AFT balconies and while our stewards wasn't as personable as some in the past, we had no complaints. Our wait staff was terrific and it's the first time we have tipped our maitre de..Paul kept us laughing every night. We tipped everyone extra, as we usually do. Now that I know about people removing tips because of the weather, I'm glad we did.

We also agree that embarking and disembarking was the easiest we had experienced and we kinda liked sailing through without going through customs:p.

As I told my friends, there is more to taking a ship to another port than "oh, let's go to......we've got time." I'm sure ports occasionally can't accomodate another ship with a few days notice.

I'm gonna try to write a mini review but just wanted to say that we had one of our very best cruises and the smiles never left our faces!

And THAT's the way to do it! :D

I want to echo the opinions that there wasn't too much Carnival could do under the circumstances. I do think they should have contingency plans for EVERY cruise in case a port is canceled to treat the day like any other sea day. They should be able to put together some activities that wouldn't typically be offered during port days. We don't necessarily need to be entertained (we can enjoy the company of our family and the ship's facilities), but everyone is different and it's good to have multiple options.

Personally, I would LOVE a five day cruise with a stop only in Key West, but that's just me. We've never been to Key West as a port of call, but have been there for land vacations many times (three times this year since June). We were in Key West in August when a pub crawl from Carnival Triumph came by the Schooner Wharf Bar. They were having a great time and it was fun talking to some of the passengers.

Apparently, since some of you are looking at this as an opportunity to bash, shame on you!!

NO this is not my first cruise, nor my second, nor my third, and no not my fourth, henceforth I am an experienced cruiser.

Secondly, I was not complaining about the weather, I know that Carnival has NO control over the weather. I am thankful that everyone was kept safe.

I love to go out of the New Orleans terminal, I am a proud resident of Louisiana. I will continue to cruise out of New Orleans. I know about hurricanes and the problems that they cause. I know what season the hurricanes come in.

I was very concerned about how the employees misinformed us about alot of things on the cruise, why even put custom forms in your room? When they know we are not even going through customs?

Another question I had was, why give us instructions on how to do "self Disembarkment" and then not follow them? I was early and I was sitting in the Rome lounge as instructed planning on getting off the ship as instructed and they changed the plan. The employees that were working the disembarkment were very rude to us and they really messed up the disembarkment.

There are people on this board who are self proclaimed experts at everything including being on the cruise and sitting in the Rome lounge with me. I think that is absolutely amazing!! I think it is a shame that a bunch of you (and you know which ones I am referring to) have nothing to do but jump up and point the finger at someone and tell them what they should feel.

Hi, Carol

In your original post you said

Let me know your thoughts I would appreciate it.

so now you are angry and flaming/bashing someone, we can't tell who, for sharing their thoughts.

Regardless the concensus is that you could write a letter but don't expect anything.

Still hoping you have good memories of the cruise.

20% off the next cruise? That is a complete slap in the face. I'm curious as to what world some people live in where they would be happy with 20% off your next multi-thousand dollar vacation AFTER having one multi-thousand dollar vacation ruined? They should at least offer 50% off the next cruise + OBC, BOGO + OBC, bring a guest for free + OBC, something much better than 20%. Being sticklers to the fine print, buy beware bs is TERRIBLE for business. Especially when the customer didn't do anything wrong. Obviously, 50% may not be enough, and to many it probably isn't. However, considering prices deviate by percentages close to 20% on a weekly basis, 20% isn't much.

Don't you guys wish we had good relations with Cuba? Could've easily visited Key West and Cuba.

20% off the next cruise? That is a complete slap in the face. I'm curious as to what world some people live in where they would be happy with 20% off your next multi-thousand dollar vacation AFTER having one multi-thousand dollar vacation ruined? They should at least offer 50% off the next cruise + OBC, BOGO + OBC, bring a guest for free + OBC, something much better than 20%. Being sticklers to the fine print, buy beware bs is TERRIBLE for business. Especially when the customer didn't do anything wrong. Obviously, 50% may not be enough, and to many it probably isn't. However, considering prices deviate by percentages close to 20% on a weekly basis, 20% isn't much.

Don't you guys wish we had good relations with Cuba? Could've easily visited Key West and Cuba.

Iv been told that if you write you can get max 15% off a future cruise if you are unhappy .. since people got 20% .. its doubtfull to me if they are going to give even more .. but go for it.

I also believe that Carnival might not be for you if you are this unhappy about getting 20% off a future cruise. For Carnival (and Iv watched the past few years) this is very generous. (just stating a fact how I see it based on other people's experiences). I had what I consider a terrible Carnival cruise, and was not offered 20% off a future cruise (and we missed Caymans btw, so besides the problems, we missed a port, two ports if you count the port we left from)

20% off the next cruise? That is a complete slap in the face. I'm curious as to what world some people live in where they would be happy with 20% off your next multi-thousand dollar vacation AFTER having one multi-thousand dollar vacation ruined? They should at least offer 50% off the next cruise + OBC, BOGO + OBC, bring a guest for free + OBC, something much better than 20%. Being sticklers to the fine print, buy beware bs is TERRIBLE for business. Especially when the customer didn't do anything wrong.

What did the cruiseline do wrong?

Did weather ruin the cruise or did Carnival ruin it?

Inquiring minds want to know. And if Carnival did, how did they do it?

Yeah, I don't understand that rationale. Carnival didn't cause the weather and you can't always come up with viable contingency plans on the fly with how many other boats in the same situation? We missed a port and went to another than either we planned for. Carnival still fed us, entertained us and BTW, sailed us through some of the BEST sea day weather I've ever seen!

What, they should have taken us to Coz/Progreso and gave us the option to walk around port in the pouring rain and high winds? I'm just not sure what they should have done! And, MORE OBC or $ off a future cruise because of WEATHER? Please. Carnival is a business, my friends, but they don't control the weather and don't promise ANY ports. If you had reservations at COZ for a week in an all inclusive, would you be expecting them to give you a refund?

Also by Tues evening (Oct 12th), the majority of the shops in Cozumel was boarded up. The Elation and Inspiration was the only ships in port on the 12th and even then we had to leave an hour early.

So even if a ship could have gotten in on Wed, there would not have been too much open.

Dave

multi thousand dollar vacation?? i thought we were talking about carnival triumph... not the queen mary 30 day cruise england to hawaii.. via NYC??? i set sail on the triumph in a balcony... in 11 days and 21 hours.. and we musta got a very good deal if someone is paying "multi thousand dollars" for this cruise!! sure missing ports sux.. but did you get out on the bow of the ship and yell... DAMN YOU MOTHER NATURE!!! I DEMAND A REFUND!!!!???? just saying???

My two best friends and I were on this cruise. Yes, we were slightly disappointed that we couldn't go to Mexico but it is what it is. We are all originally from New Orleans and relaxing on the Triumph during a hurricane was a hell of a lot better than evacuating during Katrina. No complaints from us...just more daily drink specials, spa treatments and girly chatter :D. We only take one girls' trip a year and we refused to let a little port change ruin our vacation.

Anyway, have any of you tried the link to receive the 20% discount for booking the next cruise? I have tried the one on the letter but keep getting an " Access Denied" error.

multi thousand dollar vacation?? i thought we were talking about carnival triumph... not the queen mary 30 day cruise england to hawaii.. via NYC??? i set sail on the triumph in a balcony... in 11 days and 21 hours.. and we musta got a very good deal if someone is paying "multi thousand dollars" for this cruise!! sure missing ports sux.. but did you get out on the bow of the ship and yell... DAMN YOU MOTHER NATURE!!! I DEMAND A REFUND!!!!???? just saying???

See you in 11 days... and if the weather is bad... you can find me with a drink in hand, trying my luck at the 3 Card Poker table....;)

Question - how was the requirement for making a "distant foreign port" met for the Jones Act in this case? How is it met in the case of the regularly scheduled CTN's? Heck, Miami could qualify for the "distant foreign port" from what I've heard. I wonder if the port tax refunds were withheld to pay for the per-passenger fine in this case, or if there are loopholes for unexpected events and/or acts of God.

Comment - I agree that the cruise line and CD should have contingency plans for missed port days. Even if it is just a "beach party" or some other themed event.

I would have liked to have done Tampa/Key West/and a close sail by of Cuba in this case!

See you in 11 days... and if the weather is bad... you can find me with a drink in hand, trying my luck at the 3 Card Poker table....;)

i am sure my handsome hubby will be right there with you!! no cooking, no cleaning, no laundry, no work... no port?? NO PROBLEM!! just gimme ocean air and booze!

Did weather ruin the cruise or did Carnival ruin it?

Inquiring minds want to know. And if Carnival did, how did they do it?

Yeah, I don't understand that rationale. Carnival didn't cause the weather and you can't always come up with viable contingency plans on the fly with how many other boats in the same situation? We missed a port and went to another than either we planned for. Carnival still fed us, entertained us and BTW, sailed us through some of the BEST sea day weather I've ever seen!

What, they should have taken us to Coz/Progreso and gave us the option to walk around port in the pouring rain and high winds? I'm just not sure what they should have done! And, MORE OBC or $ off a future cruise because of WEATHER? Please. Carnival is a business, my friends, but they don't control the weather and don't promise ANY ports. If you had reservations at COZ for a week in an all inclusive, would you be expecting them to give you a refund?

If I had reservations at COZ and I couldn't get there, I'd absolutely expect a refund.

Not that analogies are relevent, but weather caused a flight of mine to be late and forced me to miss the connecting flight. I received a 150% credit for the cost of my flight to use towards a future flight. Not that Carnival should've been handing out free cruises, but 20%? I can't imagine being the CEO of Carnival and saying "well, they still had a great time enjoying the ship". Rather, I'd be thinking that the weather caused these people's vacation to be ruined/changed/different from the what they paid for, what can I do for them to keep them coming back? 20%? HA!

Maybe this will shed light on my stance as a consumer, why even offer 20%?

You do realize YOU choose to cruise during hurricane season and took on the risk and that YOUR contract with Carnival says that they can change or substitute or miss any ports and only give you back taxes on the port charges, nothing else.

If you dont want the 20% off, dont use it ... but you seem naive about what the cruise contract says you agreed to.

Again, let me say that this has happened in the past and NOTHING was offered. No money off a future cruise.. why look a gift horse in the mouth. If the only thing that made your cruise dissapointing was missing ports .. .you might need to reread your cruise contract.

Remember Carnival lived up to the cruise contract ... so if you got what you paid for, then you have no reasonable expectation of more to most of us.. .

curious, how many cruises have you been on before that missed ports, how many cruises total??

You do realize YOU choose to cruise during hurricane season and took on the risk and that YOUR contract with Carnival says that they can change or substitute or miss any ports and only give you back taxes on the port charges, nothing else.

If you dont want the 20% off, dont use it ... but you seem naive about what the cruise contract says you agreed to.

Again, let me say that this has happened in the past and NOTHING was offered. No money off a future cruise.. why look a gift horse in the mouth. If the only thing that made your cruise dissapointing was missing ports .. .you might need to reread your cruise contract.

Remember Carnival lived up to the cruise contract ... so if you got what you paid for, then you have no reasonable expectation of more to most of us.. .

curious, how many cruises have you been on before that missed ports, how many cruises total??

I live in the real world. A world in which people make choices on how to spend their money, as you pointed out. And in the real world, if people aren't happy with the product they receive, they will CHOOSE to take their money elsewhere. On that note, to me, the OP was asking if they got a raw deal by having their cruise changed to just Key West and a 20% discount on a future cruise. I don't think that it was sufficient. I don't care what cruiselines used to do last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, in the 80s, 70s etc., in regards to these situations. All that matters is that I've spent thousands of dollars and did not receive the product I expected to receive.

I may be inexperienced when it comes to cruising, but I have much experience as a consumer. I completely understand what you're saying about the cruise contract and the fine print talk, and with all things considered, they should "feel lucky" that they even got the 20% credit. I just think that attitude is bad for business, and instead, the cruise line should "feel lucky" that people are choosing to spend money with them and not with a competitor or what have you.

Question - how was the requirement for making a "distant foreign port" met for the Jones Act in this case? How is it met in the case of the regularly scheduled CTN's?

It's actually the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, and it requires a stop in a foreign port if the start and stop are different ports in the U.S.

"The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port or foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port."

So since a CTN does not transport passengers between two U.S. ports, it is not covered by this act. If a passenger leaves the ship in Key West and doesn't return to the origination port on the ship, that is transfer between two U.S. ports and a $300 fine would apply. It also allows for a passenger to be flown off the ship to a different port as long as the ship either visits a foreign port or continues back to the origination port without stopping such as in a cruise to nowhere.

Since they returned to the origination port, no violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 took place.

Archived