Radiance vs Island Princess

SugarnSpice

Hi

We are planning our first Alaskan cruise for June 2011. I went over reviews and would like help to choose between Radiance of the Seas and Island Princess.

My parents are travelling with us and this is their first cruise. As we want them to get the best view we decided to book a stateroom with balcony.

I also have my 3 yr old tagging along. I looked at both ships and they both seem to have playarea for kids.

Am totally confused and unable to decide between the above two ships. I want our cruise to be fun for my 3 yr old but also offer the best scenic route and views.

Oops..I forgot to mention..We are vegetarians and I hope we would have some options when it comes to food :)

Thank you so much.Am sorry if I asked too many questions.

V

Oops..I forgot to mention..We are vegetarians and I hope we would have some options when it comes to food :)

V

You may want to ask on both boards (Princess and RCCL) about vegetarian options. Some vegetarians eat different food and I think they may be very important to your family.

Both ships will have a good kids program so I wouldn't worry about that.

I've cruised on both the Radiance (just last month on the Alaska repo) and on the Island Princess (a couple years ago on the Hawaii r/t run). Hands down, I prefer the Radiance. Much more comfortable ship (but the IP wins for the best library I've ever seen on a ship...REALLY comfortable chairs for sitting in and looking out at the scenery).

The Radiance has glass everywhere - including in the elevators. You can watch the scenery go by as you go from deck to deck. Great enclosed sitting area behind the Windjammer, etc.

The Radiance Windjammer also wins over the IP buffet area.

However - the food on the IP was better than the Radiance. This was a surprise to me as RCCL used to have the best food at sea, imo. I'm not a vegetarian - and things may have changed on the IP since I sailed them so I won't comment on their menus, etc - but there seemed to be some very nice vegetarian offerings at dinner of the Radiance each evening. I know there were veggie wraps in the Solarium cafe. The salad bar in the dining room on sea days was excellent. The salad bar in the Windjammer was always very good, as well. There were quite a few vegetarian Indian dishes offered in the Windjammer at both lunch and dinner. At dinner in the Windjammer, they also offered a "make your own pizza" station where you topped the pizza any way you wanted (if you do this, you can pick up some extra veggies from the salad bar, too besides the many choices they have at the pizza station) and they bake it for you. Takes 3 minutes. I don't know if you eat cheese or not, but this is an option - and a fun thing for a little one to do.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either ship. They are both very nice. I just prefer the Radiance. Look at the itineraries and determine which one has the better port times in the ports you want to visit. I will say that on our voyage, the Radiance had prime docking locations. I was really impressed by that. Of course, that can vary year to year - and even week to week.

If you have any specific questions about either ship, let me know. As I said, my Radiance experience is very recent. IP, not as recent but not that long ago, either.

I've cruised on both the Radiance (just last month on the Alaska repo) and on the Island Princess (a couple years ago on the Hawaii r/t run). Hands down, I prefer the Radiance. Much more comfortable ship (but the IP wins for the best library I've ever seen on a ship...REALLY comfortable chairs for sitting in and looking out at the scenery).

The Radiance has glass everywhere - including in the elevators. You can watch the scenery go by as you go from deck to deck. Great enclosed sitting area behind the Windjammer, etc.

The Radiance Windjammer also wins over the IP buffet area.

However - the food on the IP was better than the Radiance. This was a surprise to me as RCCL used to have the best food at sea, imo.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either ship. They are both very nice. I just prefer the Radiance. Look at the itineraries and determine which one has the better port times in the ports you want to visit. I will say that on our voyage, the Radiance had prime docking locations. I was really impressed by that. Of course, that can vary year to year - and even week to week.

If you have any specific questions about either ship, let me know. As I said, my Radiance experience is very recent. IP, not as recent but not that long ago, either.

RCCL has never been known for their food. If anything -- they are often joked upon. Do you remember their "ranch steak?" Carnival ships have ranked higher on food for many years compared to RCCL.

They also do not always get prime docking locations. We had probably the worst docking locations on my sailing on the Radiance.

RCCL has never been known for their food. If anything -- they are often joked upon. Do you remember their "ranch steak?" Carnival ships have ranked higher on food for many years compared to RCCL.

They also do not always get prime docking locations. We had probably the worst docking locations on my sailing on the Radiance.

Really? Which Radiance Alaska sailing were you on? We definitely had the prime locations on the Ultimate voyage mid-Sept. And, per a couple discussions I had with some of the staff onboard, they had been using the same piers/dock locations most of the season. Like I mentioned in my original post - docking locations can vary season to season and week to week. Sorry you didn't have the luck that we did!

I've had excellent food on Carnival. No question about that. But, I've also had top-notch food on RCCL over the years. In fact, this was the first time that I've had food that wasn't consistently top-notch aboard an RCCL ship. I'll say that over the last 35 years of cruising, I've definitely had a lot worse food than the worst of the worst on this trip. Although I'll never dine at Chops again. (Once was too much in my book! I knew I'd been avoiding it since its inception for a reason. :( )

Sorry you didn't have the excellent Radiance experience I did. She definitely spoiled me for Alaska! :)

Coral,

TY for your response..I'll chk the other boards too.

Beach4me,

TY so much for the review! After reading your review am leaning towards Radiance. And with the babysitting service, I cant complain too much! :)

Thankfully, my parents are game for any kinda cuisine so hopefully we wouldnt have to worry too much about food. But after reading reviews abt the food on Radiance, has for sure given me the jitters.

My DH and I cruised Carnival Destiny few years back and they spoilt us rotten. The food and service were great. The shows were a damper though :(

Does Radiance have a 24hr pizzeria like Carnival to grab late lunch or dinner?

I also have question about the ports of call...

Which one is more scenic...The Hubbard Glacier or the Glacier Bay?

If hubbard Glacier is more scenic, I think we'd go with Radiance (keeing my fingers crossed abt the food though!)

If Glacier Bay is mor scenic, we'd cruise with Princess....

Thank you so much for your time....

V

Does Radiance have a 24hr pizzeria like Carnival to grab late lunch or dinner?

I also have question about the ports of call...

Which one is more scenic...The Hubbard Glacier or the Glacier Bay?

If hubbard Glacier is more scenic, I think we'd go with Radiance (keeing my fingers crossed abt the food though!)

If Glacier Bay is mor scenic, we'd cruise with Princess....

Thank you so much for your time....

V

I haven't sailed the Radiance but other RCI ships and the pizza was not open 24/7 like Carnival.

Glacier Bay gets my vote, as it is a longer scenic sailing day, seeing at least 4 glaciers. Hubbard is also excellent, a massive active glacier. Ships, do have a wide range of "closeness" however. And if the Princess itinerary, goes to College Fjords, you have several other, extremely scenic glacier sailing views. There were, some itineraries, last season, with Princess that had some southbound sailings doing both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. Have no clue about next season, even though, I'll probably be going on both lines. :)

Princess Southbound itineraries go to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. Northbound go to College Fiords and Glacier Bay.

I would suggest going Soutbound and hitting both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (see both). I have done Princess and RCCL and prefer Princess by far (I have done Radiance and Coral - which is sister to Island).

I spent 14 days on the Radiance this season and 21 days on the Coral Princess. The service and food on the Coral were erratic but often very poor and there were lots of complaints. The Radiance was very good, particularly the service.

We eat vegetarian plus fin fish. Royal Caribbean always has had a very good choice of vegetarian items on the dinner menu and at the buffet. Contact "special needs" a couple of months in advance.

As others have said, Glacier Bay is magnificent with a few glaciers. Hubbard is one magnificent glacier, much bigger than any in GB. Also check the port times, so that you will have maximum amount of time to explore.

World's worst cruise line for food and service named - RCCL, according to Berlitz

http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-worst-cruise-line-for-food-and-service-named-20101018-16prm.html?from=smh_ft

I tend to agree. The worst food and service I have ever encountered has repeatedly been on RCCL. I must not be alone in my thinking.

World's worst cruise line for food and service named - RCCL, according to Berlitz...

RCI says that "While we respect Mr Ward as an expert in his field, his ratings reflect his own personal opinions and differ strongly from the feedback from our many millions of paying guests." Having read lots of Ward's comments and having experienced both Princess and RCI food and service this year, I think that he has his head in that infamous warm, dark place.

As posted earlier, we have done both lines this year and I agree with the article. RCCL food is the worst of any line I have been on. I am friends with an agent who sells millions with many lines and the only line she hears complaints from is RCCL for both food and service. People sail RCCL for the rock climbing walls, skating rinks and the new features and acitivites on the new ships. Food and service is not what RCCL is known for.

As posted earlier, we have done both lines this year and I agree with the article. RCCL food is the worst of any line I have been on. I am friends with an agent who sells millions with many lines and the only line she hears complaints from is RCCL for both food and service. People sail RCCL for the rock climbing walls, skating rinks and the new features and acitivites on the new ships. Food and service is not what RCCL is known for.

That's certainly not the case in Alaska as there are not skating rinks, etc on the ships doing the AK run.

Every line has it's good and nat-as-good. Every voyage has it good and not-as-good day/meal/show.

All I can tell you is that I've never found anyone going hungry on ANY ship I've ever been on.

On our 2010 voyage on the Radiance, we had the best service we've ever had - absolutely no question. And, I'm talking across the board - cabin attendant to dining staff to buffet staff to bar staff...right across the board. Definitely the most personable Captain we've ever had.

There are folks who favor Princess - or RCCL - or NCL - or Carnival. None of them are wrong. The line of their choice is what they prefer for any number of reasons.

OP - choose the voyage/ports you want, find the ship with the best port times in those ports, book the trip - and enjoy. There is always going to be someone on this board who tells you you made the absolute wrong choice. And, someone who congratulates you on making the best choice.

I will congratulate you in advance - not for your specific choice of ships - but for planning a fabulous trip to Alaska that is just what you're looking for!

Enjoy!

On our 2010 voyage on the Radiance, we had the best service we've ever had - absolutely no question. And, I'm talking across the board - cabin attendant to dining staff to buffet staff to bar staff...right across the board. Definitely the most personable Captain we've ever had.

I was on the same voyage, and that was the first time I've ever tipped any staff member beyond the "suggested" daily - the assistant waiter and head waiter both went far beyond the norm. And "Captain Claus" was amazing - his passion was contagious.

Itinerary is the most important, including the times in port. The Southbound Island Princess looks like a great itinerary. For us, Glacier Bay was a must do and it did not disappoint.

Hi

We are planning our first Alaskan cruise for June 2011. I went over reviews and would like help to choose between Radiance of the Seas and Island Princess.

My parents are travelling with us and this is their first cruise. As we want them to get the best view we decided to book a stateroom with balcony.

I also have my 3 yr old tagging along. I looked at both ships and they both seem to have playarea for kids.

Am totally confused and unable to decide between the above two ships. I want our cruise to be fun for my 3 yr old but also offer the best scenic route and views.

Thank you so much.Am sorry if I asked too many questions.

V

I was on the same voyage, and that was the first time I've ever tipped any staff member beyond the "suggested" daily - the assistant waiter and head waiter both went far beyond the norm. And "Captain Claus" was amazing - his passion was contagious.

I think you proved the point being made in this post. On most of my sailings I have always tipped the wait staff additional because their service is exceptional. On RCCL -I have not because it has been mediocre at best. It is possible that every once in awhile you get great service but on the norm -- they do lack compared to other ships in food quality and service.

I think you proved the point being made in this post.

My point was that RCI is the ONLY cruise line I've extra-tipped on - and I've sailed RCI, HAL, Celebrity, Princess and Costa. The only line that I've had BAD service on has been Princess.

World's worst cruise line for food and service named - RCCL, according to Berlitz

http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-worst-cruise-line-for-food-and-service-named-20101018-16prm.html?from=smh_ft

I tend to agree. The worst food and service I have ever encountered has repeatedly been on RCCL. I must not be alone in my thinking.

I gotta agree. I loved the Island Princess. (Hands down over the Radiance)

My point was that RCI is the ONLY cruise line I've extra-tipped on - and I've sailed RCI, HAL, Celebrity, Princess and Costa. The only line that I've had BAD service on has been Princess.

I've been on over 30 cruises, and I have to say, at some point, they have all let me down on occasion. Never enough to ruin my cruise, however RCI and NCL have given me 2 of my most disappointing cruises ever. So much so, that I doubt I'll cruise with either of them again. Customer service was the worst I've ever seen on the Norwegian Star and the RCI Vision of the Seas. Food was horrible too. :eek:

Archived