Transferring Reservations from Celebrity to a Travel Agent - New Rules

AJD

Please excuse me if I missed an earlier discussion, but I have just noticed that Celebrity is only allowing transfer of reservations to a TA within 60 days of the making the reservation. There is a discussion on the RCCL board where the same change has occurred.

This is the note on the new transfer form:

"Please Note:

Bookings may be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full. If a booking has a ChoiceAir ticket and the transfer request involves a change in currency we cannot accommodate a transfer. If you would like to transfer your reservation to a Travel Agent, please complete this form and return to us via fax."

John.

I booked an Eclipse TA 6 months ago and was planning on transferring it to a travel agent about 3-4 months out since it is easier to manage the reservation when it is with Celebrity direct. I hope I am grandfathered.

What's to keep a person from cancelling, getting all your money back, and rebooking, if the price is the same?

My TA has gone up $50pp and the OBC from a TA would be around $300. So, if their new policy affected me, it would be at least a net $200?

I booked an Eclipse TA 6 months ago and was planning on transferring it to a travel agent about 3-4 months out since it is easier to manage the reservation when it is with Celebrity direct. I hope I am grandfathered.

What's to keep a person from cancelling, getting all your money back, and rebooking, if the price is the same?

My TA has gone up $50pp and the OBC from a TA would be around $300. So, if their new policy affected me, it would be at least a net $200?

Good question and great example as to why they are implementing this new policy. I do hope that you are grandfathered.

Go ahead and try to transfer the booking, so we all will know if they will be grandfathering customers. I would certainly try to do it sooner than later. If you wait another 60 days, they can always say that they gave you 60 days notice. As you know it will be to Celebrity's benefit not to allow you to transfer the booking, so they can make the profit that they have earned by supporting the booking to date.

It would be nice to have a real live test case. I would think that you should be able to cancel and rebook as long as you did not care about the exact cabin as a worst case.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you and others because Celebrity did change the rules. I think it would be fair if the new policy allowed you 60 days from the change in policy. I can understand why Celebrity would not make a big deal out of it, they do not want to encourage everyone to transfer their direct bookings.

Most cruise lines have a policy against cancelling and rebooking. I am a TA and personally I do not think cruise lines should allow any transfer of bookings except for booking made onboard.

Good question and great example as to why they are implementing this new policy. I do hope that you are grandfathered.

Go ahead and try to transfer the booking, so we all will know if they will be grandfathering customers. I would certainly try to do it sooner than later. If you wait another 60 days, they can always say that they gave you 60 days notice. As you know it will be to Celebrity's benefit not to allow you to transfer the booking, so they can make the profit that they have earned by supporting the booking to date.

It would be nice to have a real live test case. I would think that you should be able to cancel and rebook as long as you did not care about the exact cabin as a worst case.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you and others because Celebrity did change the rules. I think it would be fair if the new policy allowed you 60 days from the change in policy. I can understand why Celebrity would not make a big deal out of it, they do not want to encourage everyone to transfer their direct bookings.

Thanks for volunteering me to be the Guinea Pig. :D

Well, I called Celebrity, and they told me that all of the above is their new policy, but I am grandfathered. That's good news, but for all you new bookings, please beware.

I glad we 'just made it' for our next cruise!! :D or perhaps...(no flames please) we were the last to "get'r done" and Celebrity said 'no more'!! :(

In any event, it seems the luxury of controlling you own reservation until just before final payment is now gone. One more secret perk removed!! :mad:

I don't know why Celebrity would want to alienate it's own TA's, especially in light of what just happened with the Century cruise cancelation after one day. If anything I would think Celebrity wishes that most people do transfer/use an outside TA prior to final so the responsibility of dealing with the booking falls to someone else in case there is an issue later on. It sounds like they are using a new model including the air bookings through Choice Air.

I don't know why Celebrity would want to alienate it's own TA's, especially in light of what just happened with the Century cruise cancelation after one day. If anything I would think Celebrity wishes that most people do transfer/use an outside TA prior to final so the responsibility of dealing with the booking falls to someone else in case there is an issue later on. It sounds like they are using a new model including the air bookings through Choice Air.

When you transfer to a TA, Celebrity pays out a commission to the TA - approximately 16% (rough estimate; it varies some from TA to TA). They keep this 16% or so when you do not transfer the reservation. I am sure they much, much, much prefer that people do not transfer reservations as it is a lot more money in their pockets when you keep the reservation with them.

When you transfer to a TA, Celebrity pays out a commission to the TA - approximately 16% (rough estimate; it varies some from TA to TA). They keep this 16% or so when you do not transfer the reservation. I am sure they much, much, much prefer that people do not transfer reservations as it is a lot more money in their pockets when you keep the reservation with them.

This is totally differant than what I undestand has been HAL's model. They rely on their outside TA's so they do not have to keep many in-house.

This is totally differant than what I undestand has been HAL's model. They rely on their outside TA's so they do not have to keep many in-house.

I agree; they want to keep the commission, rather than pay the agencies.

Thanks for volunteering me to be the Guinea Pig. :D

Well, I called Celebrity, and they told me that all of the above is their new policy, but I am grandfathered. That's good news, but for all you new bookings, please beware.

You are welcome.

I am glad to hear that they grandfathered all the previous bookings.

I'm glad I will be grandfathered in for my next 2 cruises, but I'm unhappy with the change. In the future I will just be booking after final payment. Celebrity will no longer have my money to use for over a year. I'm fortunate that we are retired and can travel whenever. I enjoy planning and will miss being on a roll call for months before my cruise. So be it.:(

Cynthia

I'm glad I will be grandfathered in for my next 2 cruises, but I'm unhappy with the change. In the future I will just be booking after final payment. Celebrity will no longer have my money to use for over a year. I'm fortunate that we are retired and can travel whenever. I enjoy planning and will miss being on a roll call for months before my cruise. So be it.:(

Cynthia

My sentiments exactly. Celebrity is removing everything that made planning and booking a cruise special from booking any other vacation. I too will miss all the fun of monitoring my booking for months in advance. But as you say, if Celebrity does not value early bookings with large deposites being handed to them well ahead of time, I will simply book last minute too, and take the best on offer from all the Cruise lines out there.

My sentiments exactly. Celebrity is removing everything that made planning and booking a cruise special from booking any other vacation. I too will miss all the fun of monitoring my booking for months in advance. But as you say, if Celebrity does not value early bookings with large deposites being handed to them well ahead of time, I will simply book last minute too, and take the best on offer from all the Cruise lines out there.

I think it ends up being their loss for people that do this but suppose a lot of their business is just people that walk into a TA to book a vacation and that will not change.

And just what is the problem of booking a cruise directly with X and then in the next 60 days finding a TA who will give you a nice OBC? Or even using a TA that you have dealt with in the past? I recently transferred 2 bookings to a TA. I had been sitting on these for a year but had done absolutely nothing with them other than look at them and check prices. I still do that and now know that I have a nice OBC. I could have done it a year ago and it would have made no difference. And if the price goes down before final payment, I can still get the adjustments (except one cruise is sold out and the other has seen significant price increases since it opened).

And just what is the problem of booking a cruise directly with X and then in the next 60 days finding a TA who will give you a nice OBC? Or even using a TA that you have dealt with in the past? I recently transferred 2 bookings to a TA. I had been sitting on these for a year but had done absolutely nothing with them other than look at them and check prices. I still do that and now know that I have a nice OBC. I could have done it a year ago and it would have made no difference. And if the price goes down before final payment, I can still get the adjustments (except one cruise is sold out and the other has seen significant price increases since it opened).

Totally agree!!

The "problem" is that some people, myself included, rather retain control over the booking as long as possible, instead of relying on a TA. If I get a bug up my but and decide I want to change my cabin, I can call X and make the change directly from available inventory without having to relay my request through a TA. If I see the fare has decreased, I can call X directly and have it adjusted without relying on a TA to get it done. If I decide to cancel I can do so directly (even online) without having to go through a TA (some of which now charge cancellation fees).

Typically I'll only turn the reservation over to a TA right before final payment.

Now this isn't an option. I have to choose between controlling my own affairs or getting an OBC and other TA benefits. Not happy.:(

If many changes, price drops etc are handled by the cruiseline for the past year with their staff , why would they want to pay a travel agent the comission at the last minute for doing practically nothing? It makes financial sense for X to put this policy in place.

If many changes, price drops etc are handled by the cruiseline for the past year with their staff , why would they want to pay a travel agent the comission at the last minute for doing practically nothing? It makes financial sense for X to put this policy in place.

Do you mean to say that Celebrity only just realized now that they were not making money with the policies that they have had in place for god only knows how many years?? Now "that" does not make sense to me..........

Archived