Geez Louise those cabins are small

KathyPet

We have done 8 cruises in a "standard" cabin on Oceania and are set for two more. We have always found the size adequate and well arranged. Maybe the shower is a bit small. We spend some time in the cabin reading, etc but have never felt cramped.

Then again we live in the wine country in a 1300 square foot house that is large enough for us, our dog and way too many possessions. We still manage to entertain 25-30 people without a problem. None of our friends have more than 1500 square feet. Our working life in San Francisco we lived in a 800 square foot condo.

I think the Oceania cabin is actually bigger than our master bedroom/bath!

It is all in the perception.

I think the standard cabins on Oceania's small ships are fine - bathrooms a bit snug, but adequate.

Some of the larger suites on the new Marina are larger than our house, which is some 1550 square feet. Don't think I would care to bang about in one of those suites!

Ouch - what ship was this? I am never in my cabin but this one is real small.

Marion

Marion ..it is the Canadian Empress a small ship operating in the St Lawrence

We had a great time even though it was a bit pricey & the cabins were tiny

Lyn

I agree with Druke & Retired

The OV cabins are bigger than our master bedroom .... our whole home is only 1300 sq ft including the basement

It is all what you are use to;)

I would rather have a small home & spend my $$ travelling or on things that make me happy :D

Lyn

The OV cabins are bigger than our master bedroom .... our whole home is only 1300 sq ft including the basement

I would rather have a small home & spend my $$ travelling or on things that make me happy :D

Lyn

Bingo, Lyn! And the added advantage of a small home is less to clean!:D

Kay

Lyn

Bingo, Lyn. We live in about 1,250 square feet and also love to travel. And the added advantage of a small home is it's less to clean.:D Kay

Some of you have heard me say it before. The standard cabins on the Regatta class ships are HUGE. The bathroom is luxurious, and the shower is fantastic.

Why? This is where we spend our time when traveling, up to a month at a time so far, and for at least 4 months straight next year when we are traveling from Florida to Vancouver and back:

DSC02631.JPG

It has about 84 square feet of living area including the galley with stove, sink, refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, bathroom with shower (combined, about 2' x 4'), sofa and dinette that convert to a nearly king size bed, wardrobe, pantry, flat panel TV, generator, air conditioner, furnace, water heater, awning, small "basement" storage and more.

It has everything our previous large Class A RV had, except space. On the other hand, it averages about 24 mpg of diesel fuel, and parks in an ordinary parking space.

We've had it 5 years this month, and absolutely love it.

DSC02631.JPG

We also live in about 1200 square feet, and although it's definitely smaller than the house we downsized from, it feels huge to me. Kind of like a Masters Suite on Seven Seas Voyager. But I agree, our bedroom, with walk-in closet, is a bit smaller than a standard Regent balcony suite, but the bathroom sure is bigger! So I'm guessing that the Oceania cabins would feel snug to us, but snug is okay, I'm an old camper.

Don, I love that van! When I think about rv'ing, that's what I imagine. Not that we'll ever do it, but I can imagine driving that van, can't imagine driving a winnebago! I'm guessing it's a custom job?

Nope, it's a standard Leisure Travel Van Free spirit, 2005 model, built in Manitoba. It's built on a Sprinter chassis. Sprinters are built in Germany by Mercedes but were sold in the US and Canada for years under the Dodge or Freightliner badge (owned by Daimler Benz). Since DB sold Chrysler, they are now sold at Mercedes and Freightliner dealers.

The RV conversions on this van are built by several manufacturers, including RoadTrek, Winnebago, Pleasure-Way, Great West, Airstream and several others. Since 2007, there is a new body style that is slightly larger.

Now returning you to the Small Cabin thread -- sorry.

Just curious. What would all of you define as a small cabin on O? Don, as you pointed out, Concierge are the same size as the others with the PH being just a little bigger. Walking to the other side of the cabin as opposed to walking around the bed to get to the other side.

Just curious. What would all of you define as a small cabin on O? Don, as you pointed out, Concierge are the same size as the others with the PH being just a little bigger. Walking to the other side of the cabin as opposed to walking around the bed to get to the other side.

E CAT deck 6 is small but not too bad

The layout is quite different than the other cabins make it seem roomy

We just get the C or B cabins which work fine for us

Lyn

Just curious. What would all of you define as a small cabin on O?

I think what you can get from this thread is that it's all relative...

I would think for MOST of us, any cruise cabin on any line would be "small"...Most of us live in much larger homes...

But, that is not what one compares a cruise cabin to...Compare it to how one lives when travelling and, I would suppose, for most of us, it would still be a bit small...unless one gets a Suite...

Most hotel rooms I stay in are more ample than any cruise ship cabin, whether on Oceania or any other line...

Of course, like Don, if your chosen mode of travel when not cruising is a motor home or camper van, the cruise ship cabin will seem large...

Cruise ship cabins, almost by necessity and economics, need to be fairly compact...and, my experience is that almost all from "inside" to "Concierge Class" on Oceania or most other lines are "just big enough"...they are not meant to be ample...The lines need to keep the cabins small to make the numbers work on the spread sheet...and they'd rather use extra space for public areas...

Ships are really designed for you to sleep and change clothes in the cabin...and to use the vast public areas as your extended living space...If one wants a little extra space, one books a balcony...if one desires a great amount of extra private space, book a suite...

Now, some luxury lines will give you a slightly larger cabin--and you pay dearly for it...On the new Marina, the cabins ARE a bit larger as well...

If one is accustomed to the cabin sizes on Celebrity or HAL or Royal Caribbean or Princess, etc., the cabin sizes on Oceania's smaller ships are right in line...If one is accustomed to some of the more expensive luxury lines, Oceania's standard cabins on the smaller ships will seem a bit small...

Personally, all cabin sizes seem the same most of the time I am in the cabin--because the lights are out and I am asleep!

I think what you can get from this thread is that it's all relative...

I would think for MOST of us, any cruise cabin on any line would be "small"...Most of us live in much larger homes...

But, that is not what one compares a cruise cabin to...Compare it to how one lives when travelling and, I would suppose, for most of us, it would still be a bit small...unless one gets a Suite...

Most hotel rooms I stay in are more ample than any cruise ship cabin, whether on Oceania or any other line...

Of course, like Don, if your chosen mode of travel when not cruising is a motor home or camper van, the cruise ship cabin will seem large...

Cruise ship cabins, almost by necessity and economics, need to be fairly compact...and, my experience is that almost all from "inside" to "Concierge Class" on Oceania or most other lines are "just big enough"...they are not meant to be ample...The lines need to keep the cabins small to make the numbers work on the spread sheet...and they'd rather use extra space for public areas...

Ships are really designed for you to sleep and change clothes in the cabin...and to use the vast public areas as your extended living space...If one wants a little extra space, one books a balcony...if one desires a great amount of extra private space, book a suite...

Now, some luxury lines will give you a slightly larger cabin--and you pay dearly for it...On the new Marina, the cabins ARE a bit larger as well...

If one is accustomed to the cabin sizes on Celebrity or HAL or Royal Caribbean or Princess, etc., the cabin sizes on Oceania's smaller ships are right in line...If one is accustomed to some of the more expensive luxury lines, Oceania's standard cabins on the smaller ships will seem a bit small...

Personally, all cabin sizes seem the same most of the time I am in the cabin--because the lights are out and I am asleep!

Thanks BruinSteve, yes all relative. My husband who was 6'9" had trouble getting in and out of the shower and could not stand up straight in the shower, no less. We always had a standard cabin with balcony and I would get ready while he was still in bed and then leave so he had enough space to move about. LOL

Just curious. What would all of you define as a small cabin on O?

Two of our three O cruises have been in the E Deck 6 obstructed view category cabins that Lyn refers to, definitely the smallest on the line, being 143 square feet, so no room for any couch. (Note that there is practically no obstruction of the large picture window if you get the front cabin of that category on either side of the ship.) With no sea days on these very port-intensive Med cruises, we did just fine in the cabin, with the library or the pool deck the places to look for us on board when we were not sightseeing, eating or sleeping!

Two of our three O cruises have been in the E Deck 6 obstructed view category cabins that Lyn refers to, definitely the smallest on the line, being 143 square feet, so no room for any couch. (Note that there is practically no obstruction of the large picture window if you get the front cabin of that category on either side of the ship.) With no sea days on these very port-intensive Med cruises, we did just fine in the cabin, with the library or the pool deck the places to look for us on board when we were not sightseeing, eating or sleeping!

Thanks. I have absolutely no problem trying one of those categories on a future cruise as long as there is room for my knitting projects I always bring along, LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the exact (or approx at least) size of the standard inside & outside cabins on Oceania vessels? I would like numbers in square footage & not "seems small to me/depends on what you mean by small/seems big enought for me etc". Numbers can be actually used to compare to for example the standard HAL inside cabin of 184 sq ft.

Does anyone know the exact (or approx at least) size of the standard inside & outside cabins on Oceania vessels? I would like numbers in square footage & not "seems small to me/depends on what you mean by small/seems big enought for me etc". Numbers can be actually used to compare to for example the standard HAL inside cabin of 184 sq ft.

Not hard to find:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/insignia/staterooms/oceanview.aspx

Does anyone know the exact (or approx at least) size of the standard inside & outside cabins on Oceania vessels? I would like numbers in square footage

On the R-ships A-D are 165 Sq Ft (not including balcony)

E Cat are 143 sq ft with obstructed views

Inside CAT F & G 160 sq ft

Marina will be larger size cabins

I had Cabin 6039 this year for 18 days on Insigna and it was big enough for me BUT I sailed "single" on this part of my 30 days B2B. It is compact but this cabin is between 2 life boats so you get plenty of natural light with the big window, which is what I wanted. My DH and I would have no problems with this size cabin - still plenty of room to misplace things. Morning entertainment is provided by the crew washing the life boats and windows. Just make sure you close the curtains before changing as the wire type walkway they use is just outside your window. :)

88093221_OBSTRUCTED6039.jpg.f09994997e6333ed1b6afbcc8685d50f.jpg

1400200381_INSIGNIA6039.jpg.190c3a51af5d7723825b011820c811a1.jpg

1955798979_6039TVAREA.jpg.e33187d1ccf347845e44c44312629d40.jpg

6039.jpg.2f2e61d53800c003ea9ad6f8091a3a14.jpg

The Marina inside cabins are 174 sq. ft, oceanview 242 sq. ft, veranda 282 sq ft. Penthouse Suites 420, Oceania Suites 1,000, Vista Suites 1,200 sq. ft. and the best for the last the Owners Suite 2,000 sq. ft.

We sail on Oceania's Marina on her maiden voyage on January 22 from Baercelona to Miami - I can't wait.

Marion

Archived