two way radios

G&TQ

Does anyone know if they work on board? Is there one brand better then another. We are planing a cruise with our 6 year old and if he is in OA and ready to leave I want him to be able to contact us.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if they work on board? Is there one brand better then another. We are planing a cruise with our 6 year old and if he is in OA and ready to leave I want him to be able to contact us.

Thanks!

I have used them with my family and they work great. Just get the ones that vibrate so nobody around you is disturbed.

We've used them a few times and they work great. The only thing you may need to do is change the channel for your group. Seems that most people just use the default channel the radios are factory set to It can get a little confusing if someone else is using the same channel as your group.

I have used them with my family and they work great. Just get the ones that vibrate so nobody around you is disturbed.

Great idea, I have used the COBRA brand with good experience, I wasn't aware of ones with a vibrate feature, but I was going to suggest, "Use your indoor voice" when you answer your kid and your indoors. :)

I used a set of Cobra ones that I got from Wal-Mart a few years ago when we last visited Florida. They worked great on the OASIS a couple of weeks ago.... I use to turn mine off when I went to the Globe & Altlas for a quick tipple much to my wifes annoyance! LOL ;)

Carl

i find the 2 ways very annoying. As the previous poster said about "Can you hear me" plus do the people around you really want to hear your complete conversations? Splurge for the iphone rentals $17.50 if you are going on Oasis/Allure. The have a GPS transmitter to put on the kid and there are phones all over the ship (including Adventure Ocean) you can use to call the iphone. Thats just my $.02

sct12345,

I am not sailing on the Oasis or allure:(

I would love the phone. 2 way radio is all I can think of with a son in OA. I am now on the look out for one that vibrates as not to annoy those around me. I also don't plan on long conversations.

More in the way of - mom come get me. on my way.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We just did the LOTS in September with our four year old grandson who spent time in OA. We had some radios but the range was very limited. We used them mostly while on port stops. Basically, they won't work inside cabins from one side of the ship to the other.

When we signed our grandson in the first time they gave us a shipboard phone. We kept it the entire time and they could have used it to calls us if needed, which they never did. It was just like the phone the staff carry, except it would not make outgoing calls only incoming.

I need to edit my own reply. Get the ones that vibrate, get the ones that have many different combinations of channels and MAKE SURE to get the ones with the furthest range. When the state the range on any of these packages, it is always assuming you are standing on a desert bed with no interference. Thsi is not reality in a city of on a ship as many obstacles between you and other radio. I have a set of 23 mile range as I figure that way I should be OK on the ship with all the steel in between the 2 radio's.

Thanks!

Consider that FRS/GMRS radios that are legal in the United States, may not be legal in other countries; or their territorial waters. All of Europe uses a different system for example; and in the UK the frequencies that FRS/GMRS use are used by firefighters.

Use of an unlicensed radio on an unlicensed band in another country (or their territorial waters) could be anything from a small fine, to jail time.

Archived