Are there any 20 somethings on O?

kgmoran

I have convinced my two children (28 and 25) to accompany my husband and I on the 10-day Baltic Treasures cruise on Marina next June. This will be my first cruise on Oceania and I am a little concerned that there will be a huge age gap between them and everyone else on the cruise. I have been told that on summer cruises you will see more young adults but I wanted to verify that with the experts on this board. The cruise is very port intensive so I am not worried about keeping them busy - I am just anticipating some griping (from my son mostly) about being on a senior citizen cruise. Has anyone either brought their adult children on an Oceania cruise or seen them at least?

Thanks!

I have convinced my two children (28 and 25) to accompany my husband and I on the 10-day Baltic Treasures cruise on Marina next June. This will be my first cruise on Oceania and I am a little concerned that there will be a huge age gap between them and everyone else on the cruise. I have been told that on summer cruises you will see more young adults but I wanted to verify that with the experts on this board. The cruise is very port intensive so I am not worried about keeping them busy - I am just anticipating some griping (from my son mostly) about being on a senior citizen cruise. Has anyone either brought their adult children on an Oceania cruise or seen them at least?

Thanks!

My girlfriend and I took a Western Med 12-day cruise this past August. We are both in our early 50's and wondered if we would be youngest on this ship:p But, no, there was a wide age group and we did see a couple of younger people that were definitely in their 20's. There were lots of people in the 30 - 50 range, and of course many folks in the 50 - 70's range.

Lisa

This year on our northern Europe & Norway cruises there were some teens & young adults onboard so I do not think they will be the only ones.

Join the roll call for your cruise & maybe others will be bringing younger adults with them

It is very port intensive & depending on what they like to do in the evenings that may be a negative for them

Most of the ship is quiet by 11 pm;)

There may be more for them on the Marina than on the smaller ships

enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Our experience was O is pretty good about allowing crew to interact with pax. We did a trans Atlantic in March 2007 and while there were not a lot of "young" people (we only had 160 pax total) there were a few and those did hang with some of the younger crew members.

Our 22-year old daughter accompanied my husband and me on the Barcelona-Amsterdam cruise last June. She had a terrific time interacting with passengers of all ages.

There were, perhaps, two dozen children and young adults on the cruise; the young adults appeared to be travelling with family groups.

The entertainment staff, in particular, went to great lengths to include young adults (and solo passengers) in activities. Many nights, the younger passengers and young-at-heart passengers gathered with the entertainment staff and a few crew members in the Horizons lounge to talk, drink, dance, and sing karaoke. When we ran into members of the staff in the ports, they invariably asked if our daughter would like to join them for sightseeing.

Like your kids, our daughter was reluctant about taking the cruise because she thought she might be the only young adult. She lugged lots of books with her so she wouldn't be bored. But, between spending most of the days in ports and the nights in Horizons, she had very little time to read.

They will in all likelihood find some people in their 20s but probably not many. Although my 20s are now a distant memory, we have met several people in that age bracket on O cruises and never got the sense that they were not enjoying themselves or fitting in. I think they may find that many people who are older will be interested in meeting and talking with them.

We still keep in touch with a few we have met on O cruises. One is an aspiring actor in NYC that we met on an O hike/bike/kayak excursion in the Dominican Republic -- he was recently in a show off-Broadway and we went down to see him in it. Age doesn't seem to be a potentially segregating issue on O as it may be on other lines...at least in my experience.

I'm getting the feeling that the consensus here is that it really depends on the 20-something in question. Personally, we have seen few in this age range (more likely to see teens on our cruises than 20 or 30 somethings) -- more than 1 or 2, less than 10-15.

If your 20-somethings generally have a definite preference for their peers, then maybe this isn't the cruise for you. If they get along with people of all ages, then they'll enjoy themselves. The teens I've seen on our cruises all have seemed to be enjoying themselves very much, and if teens can be happy amidst a lot of older people, then it seems to me that 20-somethings should be able to do as well. And I find the idea of mingling with the crew quite intriguing as well.

I've mentioned before asking a young couple on our first Renaissance cruise (admittedly they were late 30s, not early 20s) how they felt about this issue because our perception then was that the average age was 70 or more. They were having a great time and enjoyed talking to the older passengers. They were a bit daunted at seeing 4 wheelchairs being lifted on board as they joined the ship, however.

My experience with O's passengers is they are interesting, generally well travelled people, whether young or not. So if your children are "people" people I'm sure they will have fun, whether other young people are aboard or not.

The cultural experience of having fun with and getting to know some of the O staff from so many different countries sounds like a real winner too. Great "mini-exchange student" experience.

Kay

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I am not at all concerned about my daughter - she enjoys nothing more than sitting and chatting with people and it sounds like Oceania will be perfect for her. I am pretty sure my son will be fine as well if as you all say people are open and interested in conversation. AND they get to spend our days visiting such interesting cities - and my husband and I are picking up the tab! You wouldn't think it would take much convincing would you!

Thanks again!

We saw a lot of two- and three-generation families on our June 2009 Athens to Rome cruise, and few if any on our September 2008 and May 2010 cruises. Of course, no one can really gripe about a free trip!

Dare I hope you are taking the June 11 Baltic Treasures cruise on Marina? Is so, please join our lovely roll call for that eagerly-anticipated adventure.:)

Pam

I think it depends on the ports of call. On a Barcelona to Venice 14-day cruise on Regatta we saw only one young couple. (They were on their honeymoon). We saw no young couples on our Copenhagen to Southampton 14-dayer, but we did see several multi-generation families. There are many interesting people to chat with no matter what the age. Taking advantage of that, of course, depends upon the young people.

CintiPam

We are on the Baltic Treasures that leaves Stockholm on the 21st - when you disembark. Your Roll Call is significantly more active than the one for my cruise. I have learned a lot reading the posts on your cruise.

Katie

CintiPam

We are on the Baltic Treasures that leaves Stockholm on the 21st - when you disembark. Your Roll Call is significantly more active than the one for my cruise. I have learned a lot reading the posts on your cruise.

Katie

Sorry to read that you will not be on our cruise. However, I prefer the order you are visiting the ports much more than ours, seeing St. Petersburg earlier in the cruise, and also I would prefer to have more time in Copenhagen, which has several great day trip destinations, than Stockholm. For some reason, we always add more time in the city we disembark in rather than embark from. However, husband wanted to be on board for my birthday, which is earlier in June. And I certainly did not object to that!:)

Imo, Stockholm is an infinitely more interesting city than Copenhagen. Don't worry, you'll have a great time.

Ditto!

If you are a walker with interest in art, architecture, history, food and music

and just plain beauty you can easily spend a week, as we have, in Stockholm.

You would find interesting and worthwhile things to do each day.:)

Thanks, wripro and orchestrapal. That indeed is nice to know; on my one prior visit to each (land trip with a group), I ran into soccer riots and associated police arrests while on my own walking to and from my less-centrally-placed Stockholm hotel, so that probably colored my impressions a bit. Also by then, Stockholm being our last destination on our three-week adventure, I probably was a bit tired of group travel. I am a fan of DIY, and this was my first and only stranger group tour but my somewhat walking-disabled travel companion sister needed a tour.

Sorry to read that you will not be on our cruise. However, I prefer the order you are visiting the ports much more than ours, seeing St. Petersburg earlier in the cruise, and also I would prefer to have more time in Copenhagen, which has several great day trip destinations, than Stockholm. For some reason, we always add more time in the city we disembark in rather than embark from. However, husband wanted to be on board for my birthday, which is earlier in June. And I certainly did not object to that!:)

CintiPam

Sounds like you have a great husband!

Archived