Review of Eclipse October 4, 2010

clydecruiser

HAve submitted this as a review but thought due to the help received from this site I would add it here too.

Well a fantastic cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse, there were a few niggles like all cruises but the majority was fantastic.

The Ship

Definitely one of our favourites, from the public areas to the stateroom we love the styling and the atmosphere onboard. Large yes but plenty of intimate areas to sit chill out or have a drink.

The Cabin

1605 Aqua Class on the portside forward facing on the hump. The advantage of this cabin was the balcony 15 feet deep on onside 13 feet deep on the other it was massive, even in the rain and wind it was possible to sit outside with no ill effects, there were 2 seats, 2 foot stools and a table. Inside the bed was next to the balcony, which did make moving around a bit difficult but after a day or so we got the hang of it. Plenty of hanging space but not a great deal of drawer space for 16 nights, gym stuff etc stayed in the roll on bags and was pulled out as required. The bathroom had plenty of storage with a shower that blasted water from all angles. Being Aqua Class there were 3 or 4 bottles of water, fresh fruit and flowers each day.

Dining

Blu

The jewel in the crown of Aqua Class, the food and service was great every night and for the majority of the time we were able to get the waiter area we wanted with the staff we wanted, however all staff were great and we sat in a variety of places due to the anytime dining in this restaurant. The food was quite un-Americanised in comparison to the main restaurant. It was served in a very contemporary style with what we felt good sized portions. Breakfasts were also good here for the 3 times we made it. The difference in the ambient noise when dining when compared to the main dining rooms on ships was unbelievable

Main Dining Room

We had lunch here twice plus one of the brunches and enjoyed it each time.

Oceanview Café

Good selection throughout the day and the quality was good, on occasion it could possibly have been slightly warmer but that is a common buffet problem.

Bistro on 5 and Café Al Baccio

Great for lunch and the Crow’s Nest captured the record for the most diners at on table – 12 in total, thanks to Brenda for organising. I would like to see a slightly different menu in the Evening but for lunch and that returning to the ship snack it is ideal.

We enjoyed numerous different teas and coffee’s in Café Al Baccio and the pastries/cakes/sandwiches were to die for.

Qsine and Murano’s

We tried Qsine again and although we enjoyed it we felt that Murano’s trumped it for food quality and service if we go onboard again we will certainly go again. Flambéed Lobster and the Flambéed Strawberry Crepe’s being the highlight.

In all the dining areas tea was available in individual teapots and there was a wide choice of teas.

Bars & Drinks package

We took the Classic Drinks package so basically beers too $5 and all other drinks to $8, this was approx $39+15% a day. We pre-booked before joining the ship and were apprehensive about had we done the correct thing, but for us it worked really well.

We had freshly squeezed orange juice or freshly made smoothie’s ($2.5 to $4) each morning in the Oceanview Café, fresh Espresso based coffee ($3 to $5) in any of the restaurants or bars rather than the “machine” coffee, all the teas or coffees in Café al Baccio ($3 to $6). Cans of soft drink were $2.50 and bottled water was $2 to $4 depending on size. It is fair to say that we used at least half the cost in non-alcoholic drinks daily.

It was good to experiment with the different cocktails and spirits these were generally cost $6 to $8. The wine was very easy basically the selection at $8 a glass in blu met our needs and the glasses were kept topped up. When we mentioned to the Sommelier that we had tried wine in cellar masters that we enjoyed it appeared the next time we dined even though it was not on the Blu wine list.

The more expensive package included the martini and molecular bars where the drinks were $10 to $12, but you could basically get all other drinks at those venues. In addition although it included more beer selection too $8 but there were not many spirits between $8 and $12 – only a handful. The other spirits were over $12 therefore not in either package so it is worth planning ahead as too what you like. There is a slightly wider wine choice too.

Remember all the above do not include the 15% gratuity.

Entertainment

The live music around the ship was varied but all had something in common the artists were good something we have not seen on a ship for a while. What we saw of the main theatre acts were good but the 7pm show was not really for us.

Ports

For us the main ports were Split, Venice and Dubrovnik and we walked the feet of ourselves. We thoroughly enjoyed each of these ports and I will highly recommend the tour that Diane booked in advance in Venice – The Secrets Itineraries of Doges Palace (http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp?pid=595&z=2&tit=_EN_itinerarispeciali) and really enjoyed it. We pre-booked Vaporetto tickets and collected them at Place de Roma with no problems. We also visited the Opera House which was an enjoyable tour.

Palermo – what a riot - dark, dusty, dirty, noisy and smelly. Although a complete contrast to the rest of the cruise I secretly enjoyed Palermo.

Niggles

We did have some drinks appear a few times on the bill and after few discussions with the Guest Relations staff I finally asked to see the Bar manager. The matter was then resolved and we received compensation for the hassle.

People with feet on tables that you eat off - do you do it at home, why do it on a cruise. Man boobs, hairy chests and women in bikinis dangling over the food choice at the Aqua Spa café sorry please show some respect too others and follow hygiene rules, we could not eat there after what we saw.

Cruise Critic meet was the first sea day. If you have never attended a meet before remember everyone is nervous as you before the meet but you will get on like a house on fire. It was our first time and we will attend on other cruises in the future.

We were also invited to the bridge and engine control room.

So that is it a superb ship, a superb cruise, superb staff, and some superb new cruise friends what more could we have asked for.

Our pictures are at http://picasaweb.google.com/clydecruiser/CelebrityEclipseOctober2010# not had time to tag them due to work but hopefully you can guess where.

thanks for sharing your pics! We are cruising the eastern Caribbean on Eclipse on Dec 4.

We're in an angled hump cabin so hopefully we'll have a big balcony too.

It looks like you had a midnight dessert buffet (that's what I'm assuming the ice sculptures are in the last pics). Do you know if they do that on every cruise???

David -

Thanks so much for sharing your amazing pics !!

We'll be on Eclipse in an AQ cabin on 2/12/11 .. can't wait !! We've cruised on the Solstice the past 2 years and I've never had a dessert buffet like you have pictures of, can you tell us more ? And thanks so much for Qsine pictures - the description of the restaurant online didn't appeal to me, but now that I've seen your pictures I can't wait to try it - That Mediterranean shadow box looked AMAZING !

Counting the days !

Tjebme.

We were in 1604 on the same cruise as David, and had the same cabin in May. I posted a cabin report in May, commenting that you could hear the deck furniture being moved around 7am in the morning, and and again in the evening.

This time the noise was more pronounced, and on the last 2 days it sounded like they were dropping them on the deck. If you are a light sleeper, or want a lay in, I would not recommend this cabin.

Richard

There was definately noise from above, not much but some. To be honest it sounded like high heels clicking on the deck so comments would be similar to Richards. We would book the cabin again though.

DCGuys the ice sculptures were in the Sky Lounge on a party night where there was also a chocolate buffet. I guess it could depend on the number of nights of the cruise - this was the 20th birthday celebration night.

Kitty there are other QSine pictures in the pictures from my earlier Eclipse cruise in May - you should be able to find them. Howevere as the comedian said they frown when you try to keep the menu :-).

thanks for all the kind picture comments - we loved the thought of the nun buying the "designer" boots/shoes too.

So that is it a superb ship, a superb cruise, superb staff, and some superb new cruise friends what more could we have asked for.

Our pictures are at http://picasaweb.google.com/clydecruiser/CelebrityEclipseOctober2010# not had time to tag them due to work but hopefully you can guess where.

David, great review. And, fantastic photos! I enjoyed looking at them. I wanted info on what type of camera you used, including camera and lens used for the food photos?

I was also hoping to see a picture of the painters mignon, and also wanted to know if you thought the food in Qsine tasted good, or was it mostly show?

David, great review. And, fantastic photos! I enjoyed looking at them. I wanted info on what type of camera you used, including camera and lens used for the food photos?

I was also hoping to see a picture of the painters mignon, and also wanted to know if you thought the food in Qsine tasted good, or was it mostly show?

Painters Mignon from our first eclipse cruise in April

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_OnWfInsF_HA/S97gXcdnFCI/AAAAAAAADTo/M3Z4rQ79wVk/s800/CIMG3973.JPG

All pictures from that cruise at http://picasaweb.google.com/clydecruiser/CelebrityEclipseApril2010#

They are a mix from the sony cybershot dsc-h55 we bought in the summer on the food setting and possibly our Minolta DSLR with standard 35mm, but I think all the food was on the Sony. Nothing special point and shoot. The food in Qsine did taste good and we enjoyed it for the second time. Muranos had the edge though.

Sara feel free :-)

Painters Mignon from our first eclipse cruise in April

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_OnWfInsF_HA/S97gXcdnFCI/AAAAAAAADTo/M3Z4rQ79wVk/s800/CIMG3973.JPG

All pictures from that cruise at http://picasaweb.google.com/clydecruiser/CelebrityEclipseApril2010#

They are a mix from the sony cybershot dsc-h55 we bought in the summer on the food setting and possibly our Minolta DSLR with standard 35mm, but I think all the food was on the Sony. Nothing special point and shoot. The food in Qsine did taste good and we enjoyed it for the second time. Muranos had the edge though.

Sara feel free :-)

Dave, thanks for the photos. We are going to cancel Qsine. My DH (who is a Chef) will not eat anything there. Do you have pics from Muranos? We have been on Century twice and he did not want to eat there either. Thanks!

\

They are a mix from the sony cybershot dsc-h55 we bought in the summer on the food setting and possibly our Minolta DSLR with standard 35mm, but I think all the food was on the Sony. Nothing special point and shoot.

I can't believe your wonderful photos were taken with a P&S.

Archived