cost of dining on Millenium in Olympic?

jusjoan

We dined in the Olympic dining room and thought it was well worth the $35 surcharge. Our meal was excellent, and the service was impeccable. The decor is just lovely as well, with some of the woodwork from the ship Olympic,the sister ship to Titanic. It was almost like dining with a piece of history.

Thanks for the replies. As we will be celebrating our 15th anniversary I think we will at least plan to dine at least 1 night in the Olympic restaurant.

The $35 is your tip, no need to give anything else however you will probably find the level of service such that you will give an additional tip.

Quick question in order not to start a new thread.... Can you order two appetizers or entrees? Or it's just one of each (appetizers, soup/salad, entrees) per person? Just wonder if you really like something (lots of good words about Cheese Souffle)...

It's possible, but fairly unlikely that you'll be able to order more than one course selection per person. I tried once long ago and was denied, and haven't been brave enough to ask since, on several cruise lines and several ships each.

It certainly seems to be discouraged. You'll just have to make those tough decisions and narrow it down to one choice for each course.

They want you to have to come back again -- and you will want to, after you've experienced the "whole meal deal." :D

The $35 is your tip, no need to give anything else however you will probably find the level of service such that you will give an additional tip.

Only a portion of the $35 goes toward the tip not the whole amount, this was discussed at length in a prior thread (click here) and Celebrity clarified this point. I agree with you that there is no need to give additional but some, including us, often do.

Quick question in order not to start a new thread.... Can you order two appetizers or entrees? Or it's just one of each (appetizers, soup/salad, entrees) per person? Just wonder if you really like something (lots of good words about Cheese Souffle)...

From time to time some patrons have reported being refused extras in the specialty restaurants. We've never had an issue. We've never asked for an extra entree but have asked for an extra appetizer. The meals are huge and even an extra appetizer leaves us extra full. The staff in the specialty restaurants are always wonderful - if you treat them nicely and with respect then I suspect you can have anything you ask for (within reason).

We have just got home from an eleven night cruise on the Millenium.

Before we went I pre booked the Olympic restaurant for the four of us for my husband's birthday. The food and the service was stunningly good..so good that we decided to go again on our last night. If it was possible we were treated even better on our second visit.

We had a stunning starter that wasn't on the menu (lobster, turbot, prawns, mussels)....it was fit to die for. For our entree we shared a Chateaubriand and my husband was offered (and ate!) a half of lobster. I know this makes us sound incredibly greedy but it was simply beautiful and the best possible end to a lovely cruise.

What also made it special was the way that Tudor (the restaurant manager) handled our original booking. I had stupidly booked for the four of us not realising that there would be a problem taking our grandson (who was always fast asleep in his pram on an evening) into the Olympic because of the no children policy. I should have known better as we have taken our youngest child who is now 17 cruising for many years!

However, when Tudor realised the situation and that it was a special occasion, he made no fuss but let us use a private room.

The ability to make guests feel so special is wonderful.

Thanks all. I am starting to drool and my first cruise is 10 months away! We live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and have very few decent restaurants. I am looking forward to the cruise and having some special dinners with my DH.

My next post is on bevererage selection. If anyone wants to jump in on this post and help me out that would be great. I enjoy good wine with my meal and an occasional margarita or a gin and tonic for happy hour. My husband is more of a craft beer kind of guy. I also love good coffee/lattes. No idea what kind of package we should purchase...

Hi jusJoan

There have been quite a few posts on this including a 'stickie' (a post that stays at the top of the forum) that allows you to work out if a package will be worth your while. In our party of four we had three wine drinkers and a beer drinker that doesn't drink much and we worked out that it was cheaper to buy our drinks when we wanted them rather than up front....and that was based on wine, cocktails and an occasional champagne.

Worth looking at the ready reckoner to work it out I think.

Have a great cruise, it'll be worth waiting for!

...My next post is on bevererage selection. If anyone wants to jump in on this post and help me out that would be great. I enjoy good wine with my meal and an occasional margarita or a gin and tonic for happy hour. My husband is more of a craft beer kind of guy. I also love good coffee/lattes. No idea what kind of package we should purchase...

...In our party of four we had three wine drinkers and a beer drinker that doesn't drink much and we worked out that it was cheaper to buy our drinks when we wanted them rather than up front....and that was based on wine, cocktails and an occasional champagne....

I'm with Leedsmum, we drink a lot on the cruise. A bottle of wine most nights, martinis, and bottled water almost exclusively - and maybe a glass of champagne or another drink now and then. For us the packages just don't make any sense and we've figured out that we're much better off paying as we go. Biggest issue was probably bottled wine, which is not available under the beverage packages. The wine by the glass selection is an OK selection of some nice but basic wines which pales in comparison to the number of selections and range of quality and prices of the bottled wine list on board. I'd read through the lists on the sticky notes on the beverage packages and if you really like the wines listed by the glass and you drink a pretty good amount then maybe the packages will be good for you. But if you want a nice selection of wines available by the bottle with lots to choose from, or don't drink enough to be sure the package cost is worth it then just pay as you go. You can always re-evaluate once you are on board and buy the second day if you have regrets.

I'm with Leedsmum, we drink a lot on the cruise. A bottle of wine most nights, martinis, and bottled water almost exclusively - and maybe a glass of champagne or another drink now and then. For us the packages just don't make any sense and we've figured out that we're much better off paying as we go. Biggest issue was probably bottled wine, which is not available under the beverage packages. The wine by the glass selection is an OK selection of some nice but basic wines which pales in comparison to the number of selections and range of quality and prices of the bottled wine list on board. I'd read through the lists on the sticky notes on the beverage packages and if you really like the wines listed by the glass and you drink a pretty good amount then maybe the packages will be good for you. But if you want a nice selection of wines available by the bottle with lots to choose from, or don't drink enough to be sure the package cost is worth it then just pay as you go. You can always re-evaluate once you are on board and buy the second day if you have regrets.

Larry:

You always have such good insights. Let me ask, if you know, how easily can I take a wine bottle I've ordered and started in the MDR or Olympic, but did not finish, and take it back to my stateroom? Or, if I start a bottle at dinner in MDR, will they hold it for me if the next night I want to eat in Olympic, or vice versatile?

Thanks.

- Joel

... how easily can I take a wine bottle I've ordered and started in the MDR or Olympic, but did not finish, and take it back to my stateroom? Or, if I start a bottle at dinner in MDR, will they hold it for me if the next night I want to eat in Olympic, or vice versatile? ...

All this is very easy and will be done for the asking and is very common on the ships. If you tell them you want to take the bottle back to your stateroom they'll offer to deliver it there for you and it will arrive with glasses and, if appropriate, in an ice bucket.

Archived