Liberty of the Seas or NCL Epic out of Barcelona

kelzer

We are planning a 50th birthday cruise for a group of 6 adults and are trying to choose between the LOS and the NCL Epic. We have been on the LOS and loved it. Is there anyone who has been on Epic and can compare it to any of the Freedom Class ships? Specifically, we are interested in quality of food and entertainment. Thanks

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but we were looking at the same ships and picked the Liberty because it has an extra port day, vs an extra sea day for the Epic.

That said, just bumped into a lot of Epic crusiers in Nassau. Everyone we talked to liked it. Most singled out the entertainment in particular as something really good.

We have been on both ships also, and just got off the Epic on 10-16. While I will admit everyone has their own idea of what is great, those people who liked the entertainment on the Epic definitely had a different opinion than me. The rooms are small; weird bathroom design. The MDR menu is very limited compared to RCI. There ARE many eating options on the Epic, but most of them are pay restaurants. I can't imagine being on a long cruise, like a transatlantic, on the Epic. The Liberty has such wonderful public areas, wonderful nightly entertainment and the beautiful 3 deck MDR.

We were also looking at both ships for a 7-night W. Med in June 2011 and ultimately went with the Liberty. I liked the layout of the ship, the room sizes and the dining choices better. I also liked the addition of an extra port. Since I'm travelling in 2 balcony rooms with my DH, DD/15 and DS 22 - I just couldn't get over the lack of privacy in the bathrooms on the EPIC. This will be our first cruise and from all of the wonderful things that I've heard here on the boards, I know we're going to have an incredible trip!

My Celebrity cruisemate just came back this wknd from the Epic. He managed to get a price of $462 with all taxes and port charges for a studio! he was lucky.

He said it was good for the price he paid, but definitely not worth the current $1000. He said the size of the studio was fine. Dinner was not that good and he went 3 times to a specialty restaurant. Spa (additional $119) and gym were amazing. Conclusion RCCL/Celebrity have a much better product.

Hoi caribbean boy, the panama canal cruise on Celebrity was great. When you Diamond or Diamond+ on RCL you get great service on Celebrity.

Going in Nov, on the Mariner, yes, get 3 points then have to look for other cruises where no flying is involved. To bad RCL is leaving us dry in CAlifornia.

Flying back from Baltimore was long and tiresome for me.

Groetjes and happy sailing.

Hoi caribbean boy, the panama canal cruise on Celebrity was great. When you Diamond or Diamond+ on RCL you get great service on Celebrity.

Going in Nov, on the Mariner, yes, get 3 points then have to look for other cruises where no flying is involved. To bad RCL is leaving us dry in CAlifornia.

Flying back from Baltimore was long and tiresome for me.

Groetjes and happy sailing.

Yes, I know you get amazing service on Celebrity being a diamond member. The Continental breakfast with fresh oj and grapefruit juice and some good stuff and the 4-6 happy hour is nice too. Are you still going on the Transatlantic on the Liberty in April?

Yes, still planning the Liberty but also the Celebrity which is going from FFL straight to Amsterdam. I still have 3 future cruise cert. from RCL so I may use them up in the spring.

Hoping to live that long and able to travel.

• 4 months later...

I'm torn between the two boats as well, and after getting off the Oasis, I'm not sure if I can safely choose a different cruise line. RCCL definitely WOW'ed me with the Oasis.

The only thing I'm unsure about is the entertainment and onboard activities. The LOS is going to be docked on so many days, that I probably won't be able to utilize the onboard stuff.

Been on both the Liberty and the Epic.

We would hands down choose the Liberty.

While the Epic was not a disaster (how could any cruise possibly be a disaster?), it was definitely not our personal taste. The entertainment was excellent - if you like more of a Vegas/night club entertainment, but the ship was very VERY crowded and VERY smoky. We felt it was poorly laid out. The food was very good in the MDR and excellent in the specialty restaurants. We were in a suite, and the suite & suite amenities were fabulous.

The Liberty is much better laid out and didn't feel as crowded. The cabins are also better laid out. (Make sure you check out the bathroom diagrams for the Epic to make sure you would feel comfortable with this arrangement!) Also, while the service was OK on the Epic, it was much better on our Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Celebrity cruises.

We would probably NOT sail on the Epic again unless it was a steal of a deal (like free) in a suite (and only a suite)! It was the least favorite of all of the ships we have sailed.

We are planning a 50th birthday cruise for a group of 6 adults and are trying to choose between the LOS and the NCL Epic. We have been on the LOS and loved it. Is there anyone who has been on Epic and can compare it to any of the Freedom Class ships? Specifically, we are interested in quality of food and entertainment. Thanks

Kelzer, we have done both (FOS, not LOS) and would say that Epic caters to a younger crowd overall. Having said that we had a group of 17 on Epic, ranging from 7-70+ and all enjoyed their week.

Going back to your post, I would give the entertainment edge to Epic based on the variety of options available (Blue Man Group, cirque type show, legends in concert, Howling at the Moon Duelling pianos, Second City comedy, Jazz in Fat Cats, etc). Food quality I would give the edge to RCI so that makes it a tie based on your criteria. So then it depends on what else you want from the cruise. The pools on Epic are tiny but the waterslides were great so would give RCI the edge in pools / hot tubs (unless you are into waterslides in which case this may change). The spa on Epic was great so would give them points there...

Some of the "nickel & diming" that folks talk about on Epic can also be presented as more options for you. For example, bowling, pool (snooker), pub crawl, darts, ice bar, etc were all things we did on Epic that cost some $$ but it was our choice to do them. This was no different than cupcakes or flowrider lessons on RCI......

Overall, if it was me making this choice I would probably go with LOS but it is not as cut and dry of a choice as some have stated....either way, enjoy your cruise!

Archived