NCL Gives "Sneak Peak" of Great Stirrup Cay Reno Plans on Facebook

spacepotatoes

I will be on the Jewel's 2/13 sailing. Is the 3-4 week estimate based on the original timetable or do you have info based on a conversation with someone in the know ? I sure hope you are correct and can't wait to see what changes there have been since my last visit to GSC 2 years ago.

It's the latest from an NCL webcast on Tuesday.

Thanks for the update. I can't believe they even brought us to this island when there was a TON of construction going on. Hammering, bulldozers, what a mess. This was not my idea of a relaxing day at the beach.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

I would have gone back to the ship and enjoyed the pool. With everyone at GSC you would have had the pools to yourselves! Hope you had a good cruise anyway!!

What is the big building in the far right of your picture supposed to be?

PE

I'm not sure. It was empty when we were there and they were just putting the finishing touches on it but I didn't see anything that would indicate what it was going to be. It is right behind where they currently serve the food so my best guess would have it becoming a bigger more permanent buffet. That is my guess though.

We are going to be here on Jan 28th.. I read reviews on NCL's website that said it takes several hours to get from the ship to the island because you have to take small boats (tender?) to get there. Is this true? I thought maybe I'd just get off the ship for maybe an hour and get back on if their is lots of construction noise or it's lame. I've never cruised before, so i dont know what to expect. Does it always take a long time to get on/off the ship at all ports?

ALso... What kind of drinks are provided on the island?? Are we talking alcohol or tea?? Is this free?

We are going to be here on Jan 28th.. I read reviews on NCL's website that said it takes several hours to get from the ship to the island because you have to take small boats (tender?) to get there. Is this true? I thought maybe I'd just get off the ship for maybe an hour and get back on if their is lots of construction noise or it's lame. I've never cruised before, so i dont know what to expect. Does it always take a long time to get on/off the ship at all ports?

ALso... What kind of drinks are provided on the island?? Are we talking alcohol or tea?? Is this free?

You stand in line in the morning to get assigned to a tender. You get assigned a number and then they announce on the ship when your tender is leaving. I lined up recently on the Pearl at about 8:30 and waited about 25 minutes to get assigned to the first tender. From the time they announced that the first tender was ready to the time we got to the island was probably about 30 minutes (actual time from ship to island is maybe 10 minutes). If you don't line up for a number though you may end up having to wait quiet a while for a tender.

Coming back you just line up on the island and take the next available tender. It gets quite busy later in the day when everyone is trying to get back to the boat.

The amount of time it takes to get on and off at other ports depends on if the boat docks or if you have to take tenders. If the boat docks then it takes very little time. If you take tenders then it takes longer. The tenders in GSC are large (with space for a few hundred) so it takes less time. In Samana I think the boat used the life boats for tenders and they hold a lot less people so it took longer.

Assume that the same drinks are free on the island as you get free on the boat. Alcohol is not free.

For people who've been to the island lately: Can you walk around beyond the beach area at all, or does the current construction keep everyone herded together close to the beach? You used to be able to walk to the lighthouse, but I'm guessing that's not the case at this time? Thanks in advance.

Nope' date=' no hotel. The large building is going to be dining hall type building.[/color']

PE

That makes sense. Thanks. I think I read about the hotel rumor in one of those totally negative reviews which included comments about how they were ruining the island by building a hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Was on GSC on January 15. The lagoon and tendering docks were not ready at that time, nor did it appear that it would be ready in the near future. There was a lot of earthmoving going on, but unlike others who have posted, we couldn't hear the noise.

The only thing I didn't like was there seemed to be a steep shelf on the beach - it wasn't a gradual decline into the water. Plus it was very rock right at the shelf. Not too pleasant on the feet. Don't know if that had to do with improvements or not.

It seems to me that there were a lot less palm trees than on my visit 2 years ago (and from the looks of the video A LOT less trees than there were in the 1980s). Hopefully as part of the improvements they'll bring some mature trees back in (I don't know how fast those things grow).

Does anyone know if the Cay has taken a direct or close hit by a hurricane. The elevation on that little island isn't great. I can't help but think a small hurricane with some 50 foot swells could overwash the island, but the buildings seem to stay put.

We were there on Dec. 18th on the Pearl and took this picture from the boat. There was quite a bit of noise from the construction. Sorry about the large size of the photo but it shows most of the construction. I am not sure what will be ready in 3 to 4 weeks given the state things were in on Dec. 18th.

gsc.jpg

we were there in November,,and I don't remember the big white building being completed..I don't remember much noise either..probably because the bands/music was so lound.

we were there in November,,and I don't remember the big white building being completed..I don't remember much noise either..probably because the bands/music was so lound.

The noise was mostly because they were pile driving so all you heard was bang, bang, bang, bang, bang (you can see them in the picture). You could also hear the odd tractor but that was't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I am told per NCL Facebook post today that Great Stirrup Cay’s new marina basin and dining facility open today! Norwegian Sky will be the first ship to call on the private island, stay tuned throughout the day for exclusive photos.

Good news as I'll be there in about two weeks.

Archived