CDC Response to inquiry regarding travel to Labadee

sutuz

I emailed CDC directly yesterday and asked them about the safety of docking at Labadee with the current travelers' warning out for Haiti. The response is copied below in its entirety, but the most important part of the message for those of who will be going to this port in the near future is in the second paragraph. Hopefully this will calm some fears. :)

"

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. We understand your concerns. In response to your request for information on travel to Haiti and the cholera outbreak, we can provide you with the following information.

Travelers who follow usual tourist itineraries and who observe food safety recommendations while in countries reporting cholera have virtually no risk. But, there are some simple rules you can follow to reduce your risk of getting the disease.

CDC recommends that you drink water only if it's been:

* boiled,

* treated with chlorine, or

* treated with iodine.

It's also safe to drink:

* coffee or tea that is made with boiled water, and

* bottled carbonated drinks with no ice.

You should also:

* Only eat hot food if it has been cooked all the way through and is still hot;

* Only eat fruit that he or she has peeled him/herself;

* Avoid fish or shellfish, like shrimp, crabs, or clams, that are raw or that haven't been cooked all the way through, including ceviche;

* Make sure all vegetables are cooked;

* Avoid salads;

* Avoid foods and drinks from street vendors; and

* Not bring seafood that is perishable (will spoil) back to the U.S.

A simple rule to follow when traveling is "Boil it, cook it, peel it, or forget it."

CDC has confirmed that the laboratory results have confirmed that Vibrio cholerae serogroup O1 or O139, which causes cholera, is the cause of the outbreak of acute watery diarrhea in 2 provinces in Haiti. Haiti Ministry of Health lab staff and a CDC laboratory technician worked side by side in Haiti's national laboratory to conduct the tests.

CDC is confident the tests are accurate. Samples are on the way to CDC for additional testing, a common practice when CDC assists other countries with outbreaks. CDC staff trained Haiti national laboratory staff to conduct testing for cholera last February and March, following the earthquake.

CDC staff is currently in Haiti to help re-build laboratory capacity and surveillance. CDC epidemiologists are also supporting the Haitian Ministry of Health in the investigation, as are the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and other international organizations.

CDC is sending a team of people to Haiti over the next few days. Support staff being sent right away includes epidemiologists and health communicators. A laboratory expert and more epidemiologists will join the outbreak effort next week.

Laboratory staff in Haiti is now focused on testing to determine which antibiotics will be effective in treating people with cholera.

CDC is also assisting the Haitian Ministry of Health and its partners with:

* Assessments regarding adequate treatment supplies;

* Recommendations on how to manage illness in ill persons; and

* How to prevent illness in those persons who are well.

These efforts are in coordination with a broader United States Government response being led by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

As of October 22, 2010, the Haitian Ministry of Health has reported more than 1,500 cases of acute watery diarrhea and more than 150 deaths. Many more cases and deaths are expected.

For more information about cholera, please visit the CDC websites:

2010 Haiti Cholera Outbreak

http://www.cdc.gov/haiticholera/

Cholera

http://www.cdc.gov/cholera/

Travelers' Health: Yellow Book: Chapter 5: Other Infectious Diseases Related to Travel: Cholera http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-5/cholera.aspx

We hope that you find this information helpful and look forward to assisting you again in the future."

Thank you for requesting this information. Very helpful. I hope you posted this on the other threads pertaining to this issue.

I posted it on one - didn't know there were others too. I'll do a search and add it. Wouldn't it be nice to put this subject to rest for a while and get back to the important subjects of smuggling booze, smoking, and kid hating? :D

I posted it on one - didn't know there were others too. I'll do a search and add it. Wouldn't it be nice to put this subject to rest for a while and get back to the important subjects of smuggling booze, smoking, and kid hating? :D

Don't forget chair hogging!

Wow...thanks for sharing that you found out that only treated water is safe to drink. This is really useful information, as I'm sure there are lots of people who think that untreated water is perfectly safe. Great info!

Thanks for posting this. I can't help but notice that all I have read on this subject states to only drink treated or sealed bottled water, nothing carbonated with ice. I am only nervous about getting a drink with ice in it, like a daquiri or something like that. Does anyone know what the process is for making ice on Labadee?

Thanks for posting this. I can't help but notice that all I have read on this subject states to only drink treated or sealed bottled water, nothing carbonated with ice. I am only nervous about getting a drink with ice in it, like a daquiri or something like that. Does anyone know what the process is for making ice on Labadee?

All food and drink on Labadee comes off the ship, so there should be no concern with drinking anything with ice in it.

Archived