Your Favorite Drugstore Alternatives to Expensive Cosmetics?

FinelyRetired

There's an unscented version now!!

(there's also a Target store coupon now you can print from their site if you're interested:p)

The smell never bothered me, but for you, I would absolutely try the unscented.

Excellent, thanks for pointing that out. :D

The Paul Mitchell product that was recommended sounds great but $20 is more than I'm willing to spend on hair spray, especially if I'll be using it daily.

Interesting to see this thread resurrected.

I am currently on the hunt for a new hairspray now that I have a shorter hairstyle. I need some spray to hold it once styled, as my hair's natural tendency is to fall forward.

I am looking for a product that will:

a) Hold well but be flexible

b) Has no smell or only a light, pleasant one (no lingering fumes, please!)

c) Can be brushed out without becoming flakey

d) Adding some shine would be a plus

The drugstore brands I have tried either smell bad (Tresemme; I tried both aerosol and pump), smell good but don't hold well (Garnier Fructisse), or hold well but leave my hair feeling "crunchy" (a slightly higher-end aerosol spray that I otherwise liked).

Any suggestions?

There's a very inexpensive line called Aussie, & I love their hairspray its called Aussie duel personality Hi Hold + Hi Shine, it's an aerosol, & I've been very happy with it, good hold, adds shine but isn't icky.

I have read some reviews and many have mentioned that it has quite a strong smell that lingers. Otherwise it sounds great. What is your experience with the scent?

I second the Elnett recommendation. I don't notice a scent at all. If there is a scent, it certainly does not linger(to me). It's a fantastic hairspray that meets your criteria. It comes in a small travel size can that you can buy to try it.

I second the Elnett recommendation. I don't notice a scent at all. If there is a scent, it certainly does not linger(to me). It's a fantastic hairspray that meets your criteria. It comes in a small travel size can that you can buy to try it.

It comes in both scented and unscented.

Since I don't wash my hair every day, I find that contrary to what everyone says, (including the women's magazines) it does build up on your hair. I have had more trouble with that than any other hair spray. Unfortunately, the spray I like best has been discontinued.

It comes in both scented and unscented.

Since I don't wash my hair every day, I find that contrary to what everyone says, (including the women's magazines) it does build up on your hair. I have had more trouble with that than any other hair spray. Unfortunately, the spray I like best has been discontinued.

It's always a HUGE bummer when a favorite beauty product is discontinued.

I'm cheap....

Dollar tree: cold cream for face wash, witch hazel for toner, cotton pads, and make up sponges, oh and wet n wild serum mascara

Ross's: for day and night creams (usually no more than five dollars a piece)

E.l.f.: All things makeup related. They have some awesome stuff, their primer is a fave of mine and I love their assemble your own quad eyeshadow set. Their products range from 1-6 dollars. I recommend checking out YT for reviews.

I'm cheap....

Dollar tree: cold cream for face wash, witch hazel for toner, cotton pads, and make up sponges, oh and wet n wild serum mascara

Ross's: for day and night creams (usually no more than five dollars a piece)

E.l.f.: All things makeup related. They have some awesome stuff, their primer is a fave of mine and I love their assemble your own quad eyeshadow set. Their products range from 1-6 dollars. I recommend checking out YT for reviews.

Love the Dollar Tree for lots of stuff. I have never tried their cold cream though.

And I love ELF. Their Studio line is my favorite. The Studio line brushes are amazing and I will never go back to make up sponges or eye shadow applicators. You can really see a different quality when you apply make up with brushes.

Love the Dollar Tree for lots of stuff. I have never tried their cold cream though.

And I love ELF. Their Studio line is my favorite. The Studio line brushes are amazing and I will never go back to make up sponges or eye shadow applicators. You can really see a different quality when you apply make up with brushes.

I know! Their studio brushes are amazing, I love their stipple and powder brushes the most. I can't believe they're three dollars, its such a leap from their dollar brushes. Also the studio waterproof mascara, amazing. I've gone swimming in a pool, and didn't budge.

I like the April cold cream more than their personnel care one, right now I want my DT to carry the April mango mandarin body wish, I keep seeing the bubble bath and am tempted to just get that.

I used to.love ulta... but it just got to expensive and after a year long relationship with ipsy and the look bag, I've decided for me its not worth it. No matter how nice the packaging.... although I will admit I do ask for ultas smoothies in cupcake for my birthday!

Let us know what you think! I bought this on a whim a few years ago and haven't used anything else since.

Well, after using the Elnett for a week, I have to say that I do like it. I got the unscented version. It's not totally unscented (unfortunately) but the light scent that it does have doesn't seem to stick around so I'm okay with it. It holds pretty well -- my hair still falls forward a bit but not as much and it seems to hold well all day, at least indoors.

I agree that it brushes out well too. :)

Now if only I can keep getting it on sale.....

Well, after using the Elnett for a week, I have to say that I do like it. I got the unscented version. It's not totally unscented (unfortunately) but the light scent that it does have doesn't seem to stick around so I'm okay with it. It holds pretty well -- my hair still falls forward a bit but not as much and it seems to hold well all day, at least indoors.

I agree that it brushes out well too. :)

Now if only I can keep getting it on sale.....

I stock up when Ulta had their 20% off deals. Right now at Walgreens, through March 1, you get 50 Balance Rewards points for each $1 spent on beauty items.

Well may have to look for the'unscented' Elnett - I had a small travel size one on my last trip and had to throw it out cuz of the SMELL!!! Definitely did not agree with me.

I also have a small travel can of the morrocanoil hairspray - medium hold I think? And it also smells pretty nasty :(

This one isn't really a drugstore vs. expensive. More like kitchen vs. everything else. I have completely given up on any type of deep conditioner. Now I only use coconut oil. It is amazing stuff!. It moisturizes my dry scalp during the winter and softens my hair so much. I also use it for daughter's eczema. It's the only thing that clears it up.