Canon D10 vs Olympus Tough (any model)

jtdlmc

I'm torn between these two cameras. I've done a lot of research and they are pretty close in results with the Canon having slightly better picture quality, flash ready speed and battery life. The Olympus has a bit better opitcal zoom. I've seen lots of underwater pics on here taken with the Canon and they are really good. I haven't seen any Olympus Tough so far. The camera is for my 19-year-old daughter who really needs the shock-proof element - she drops her cell phone 20 times a day!

It's very difficult to find the Canon D10 anywhere around where I live. I went to a camera shop yesterday and they had them when they first came out, they sold quite well but they looked like Fisher Price kids cameras and alot of people commented that they didn't like the look. I've never seen one, only pictures. Is it really that bulky and toy-like looking? If I were to buy one I would have to ordered it on-line somewhere, which would mean difficulties in returning it if I didn't like it.

Any comments and/or pictures taken with the Olympus Tough would be appreciated.

I'm torn between these two cameras. I've done a lot of research and they are pretty close in results with the Canon having slightly better picture quality, flash ready speed and battery life. The Olympus has a bit better opitcal zoom. I've seen lots of underwater pics on here taken with the Canon and they are really good. I haven't seen any Olympus Tough so far. The camera is for my 19-year-old daughter who really needs the shock-proof element - she drops her cell phone 20 times a day!

It's very difficult to find the Canon D10 anywhere around where I live. I went to a camera shop yesterday and they had them when they first came out, they sold quite well but they looked like Fisher Price kids cameras and alot of people commented that they didn't like the look. I've never seen one, only pictures. Is it really that bulky and toy-like looking? If I were to buy one I would have to ordered it on-line somewhere, which would mean difficulties in returning it if I didn't like it.

I have an Olympus that I've had for several years. Not satisifed with the underwater pictures it took. Just bought the D10 with the intent of letting my 9 YO daughter use the Olympus--I like the idea of a shockproof camera for her. From everything I've seen/read, the D10 takes better pictures. The D10 does have a different/bulkier look (I can see where some may say it looks like a kids camera) but I don't have a problem with that. I bought mine on Amazon. They have a good return policy, and I got it in 2 days.

Try fickr and search cameras there are other sites that specialize in pictures but IMHO both are decent.

Your observations of the D10 are accurate. You might also want to consider the new SONY thin waterproof and shock-proof.

I would pick one of these up if I was to need it underwater, rafting, etc. I'd not pick it up just so my child can learn that they can be careless. I'd want to teach them that is not the way things go in life. Nothing like learing by breaking. Get her a nice cheap 99 kodak/sony or whatever.

I have an Olympus which is second one I've owned. I have not been happy with this one as it has flooded twice and the underwater pictures are not that great. After seeing a few Canon D10 pictures, I am planning on getting before my cruise in December as I will be doing a lot of snorkeling.

I see that you are from Ontario. Do you have a Henrys camera store nearby? I think the D10 was on sale recently and it may still be on sale. Henrys also matches other companies' prices. If you don't have a Henrys nearby, go to Henrys.com and you can purchase it on line. Henrys also gives you a time limit where you can return the camera, no questions asked, if you are not happy with it.

I would pick one of these up if I was to need it underwater, rafting, etc. I'd not pick it up just so my child can learn that they can be careless. I'd want to teach them that is not the way things go in life. Nothing like learing by breaking. Get her a nice cheap 99 kodak/sony or whatever.

Actually, she's not a child, she's 19 years old and already has a Canon digital that was a relatively good camera when she got it years ago but it's not waterproof and also is not broke. I don't think I'll waste my money on something that is inappropriate for her and not good for snorkeling and I do think having something shock-proof is a pretty good warranty :D

I ended up ordering the Canon D10 and it was just delivered. I think it is really cute! I was picturing a big clumsy camera like the actual Fisher Price kid's camera! It is no bigger than my Canon A720 except the lens part sticks out a bit more and it is a bit rounder. I think maybe it is just the colour that reminds people of Fisher Price - lol. Anyway, I am quite pleased with it's look. :D

I don't have a Henry's near but I did look on the website. It was $349 and I got it from Dell on sale for $269. I ordered it at 7 pm last night and it arrived via Purolator at 2:15 this afternoon. I am quite impressed!!!

I bought the Canon D10. I LOVE IT! I can't express how great the pictures are from it and I'm an SLR girl.

Here's a link I posted with the underwater pictures I took while on vacation 2 months ago: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1282285

It also takes terrific regular land pictures and the night pictures are amazing as well. I can show you those as well if you are interested in seeing them.

Oh, I'm not sure what choices you have there to get camera's at, but I bought mine on Amazon and got a GREAT price for it (back when they first came out). I know they are a lot cheaper now than back when I bought mine. There's other options that you can use such as ebay or craigslist as well.

Wow, those are great pictures Mitsugirly! Thanks for sharing. Sure I would love to see your regular land and nighttime pictures.

I did purchase one through Dell Canada. It was on sale for $80 off and I paid $269 - so I was pretty happy with that price. It is actually a Christmas gift for my daughter but I may end up getting one for myself too!

Here's a link to our vacation photos. If you look at the one's on the islands in St Maarten (with the planes) and St Thomas...oh and also Nassau (which you will find more underwater pictures), they were all taken with my Canon D10. A LOT of the others on board the cruise were also taken with the Canon (other than the one's that were done with my slr with the fisheye-which you can tell which one's those are).

Enjoy: http://kimbakerphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation

TheHopscotch,

Thanks a lot for the link to DPReview. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was leaning toward the Canon already. I haven't had a chance to go through the whole site, but I am going to feel a lot better about whatever my descision is.

Thanks again.

KcBryan

I've seen great photos and reports about the Canon D10 and similar waterproof cameras from other manufacturers. But reading through reviews on Amazon I've noticed that between 5% and 10% of the reviews are rated the lowest rating and indicate the cameras leaked and to make matters worse the manufacturers then wouldn't even cover this under warranty even though the cameras are sold as waterproof. So personally, I'll stick with a high quality brand name waterproof marine case designed for a specific digital camera for now. I have a Canon SD870 (basic digital camera but model is a couple years old) and a Canon waterproof marine case designed for it and have had excellent results. Such a setup is a little more expensive than a "waterproof" camera but the results seem to be a little bit more reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought the Canon D10. I LOVE IT! I can't express how great the pictures are from it and I'm an SLR girl.

Here's a link I posted with the underwater pictures I took while on vacation 2 months ago: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1282285

It also takes terrific regular land pictures and the night pictures are amazing as well. I can show you those as well if you are interested in seeing them.

Love, love, love your pictures!

Now I want this camera even more so.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently purchased the canon D-10. Trying to find a case for it. Has anyone purchased a case for theirs? Looking for something compact but large enough to comfortably fit the camera in it. Any ideas of what and where purchased would be greatly appreciated. Going cruising in Feb. 2011. Thanks.:)

the canon is only waterproof to 33 feet. does anyone have any experience shooting while diving deeper? i am looking for something that can be taken on some dive trips.

Any deeper than that and you'll need to have a waterproof housing for your camera. There's quite a few to choose from, though if you don't already have the D10 you can buy a normal point and shoot and put it in the waterproof housings available.

i have DSLR that i could get housing for, but i thought it might be cheaper to get a point-and-shoot underwater camera. it's looking like that might not be the best option since it's not going to work for what i'm wanting it for. thanks for the info! :)

• 1 month later...

I did a lot of looking, most votes seem to go to the D10. Looked at them and decided I didn't like the feel in the hand and the look. Personal preference thing for me.

I just got the Olympus 8010 yesterday. Ordered it online and am still learning how to work it. The first ones taken outside seem to look pretty good. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived