Disabled Cruising: What ticks you off?

Peery5

gram2trips, have you looked into an implanted TENS Unit?? Kind of like a pace maker in the spine. It is AWESOME!!! If you want more info on it let me know.

I had it permanently implanted June 8th 2009 and it is amazing how little pain I now have, plus I've been able to lose nearly 60 lbs due to the lack of severe pain:)

It is covered by both insurance and Medicaid.

Joanie

Joanie, thanks for reply. i have not, but i have a regular tens i use. only drawback with it i an allergic to the pads & boy do i itch & scratch when they come off.!! so glad to hear u r doin better with implant. people that don't have pain have no idea. i am in a not so good position, i retired in feb, refused to pay exorbatent cost of cobra, not 65 so no insurance. don't qualify for medicaid, one plan i looked into had 1 yr pre existing so didn't take it. i do have a pain doc i go to but cannot have my injections casue i have to pay cash!! oh well better days to come, thanks again for advice.

Joanie, thanks for reply. i have not, but i have a regular tens i use. only drawback with it i an allergic to the pads & boy do i itch & scratch when they come off.!! so glad to hear u r doin better with implant. people that don't have pain have no idea. i am in a not so good position, i retired in feb, refused to pay exorbatent cost of cobra, not 65 so no insurance. don't qualify for medicaid, one plan i looked into had 1 yr pre existing so didn't take it. i do have a pain doc i go to but cannot have my injections casue i have to pay cash!! oh well better days to come, thanks again for advice.

Wow!! I also developed Allergy to the adhesive on the pads!! I can no longer even use band aids for more than 24 hrs because of the allergy. Heck, before the TENS unit pads I was able to quit smoking using the patch, but after my allergy developed, can't go the patch route anymore:( Oh well....

Not wishing you to age quickly, but sure hope you get to the age of MediCaid or MediCare soon as this is the best surgery I have ever had!!

Sorry you cannot get it through insurance:( I am lucky enough that hubby is a Military Retiree so if our regular insurance had not covered it, the military insurance would have.

The injections did not last for more than 2 hours for me.... Only thing that did work was heavy meds, and they were the same meds and dosages that killed Heath Ledger, the guy that played Batman in the last movie. When he died from my meds I said this AIN'T gonna happen to me, so I got more aggressive with my Doctors. They bent to my pain and voila:)

Joanie

I have been on 6 cruises, and despite the inconveniences, my biggest gripe is that the number is not higher. I would like to suggest that when people are rude you can use it as an opportunity to educate them. If you hear a comment about another who doesn't look disabled, try "Yes, he/she's having a good day. Be glad you don't have to deal with his/her health problems." If it is directed at you, take a second to explain. Just be sure to to it with a HUGE smile. I drives them crazy. It will also make them think twice the next time. Make others see you as a fully (almost) functioning human being with feelings and opinions. If you are able to engage them in an actual conversation, you just might make a friend. When that isn't possible, I have been known to offer to trade legs with them.

I wasn't always disabled but I always tried to be courteous to others, disabled or not, when cruising. On our last cruise, on RCCL, to Alaska, I used a mobility scooter. While the employees on RCCL were very courteous and helpful, I can't say the same for a lot of passengers. If you have ever used a scooter on a cruise, you know how difficult it is to find an available elevator, and get on it. Difficult in and of itself, nearly impossible on formal nights. Crowded elevators, everybody in a hurry to get to wherever they are going, no one willing to hold an elevator door so you can get on.:( Once I made a mistake an went out of our cabin by myself to get a drink [cappuccino] and could not get on an available elevator to get back to my room. Had to call a family member just to run interference for my to get back on an elevator. THIS IS WHAT TICKS ME OFF. What's ticks YOU off, being disabled, about cruising? Maybe some of those more fortunate souls will read this and maybe think the next time they see someone with a disability having problems on or off of a cruise ship.

Hubby and I will be going on our 2nd cruise next month (his third). We both use wheelchairs (manual) and will be cruising with them. He has MS and I have a neurological disease (diff from MS). He WAS one of the people that didn't "look" disabled, now I am.

This is my beef. When we cruised last time (my first), we had Big Tex as a cruise director. He was a complete jerk IMHO! Let me say that our room was wonderful, the crew was also wonderful! BUT, when we went to a show and my hubby raised his hand to participate..he was told "Sorry Sir, you are in a wheelchair and can't get onstage...you'll be glad you didn't though!" Needless to say we both huffed out and went straight to the Pursers' office. We were offered a ten percent discount on our next cruise and thanked them kindly but asked them to use the discount towards education for Big Tex. He avoided us the rest of the cruise.

However, WE had a BLAST!! We were treated wonderfully in the restaurants and everywhere we went! No one was rude...but I've always found that if I'm smiling, it's contagious ;)

This trip, we plan on going into ports unlike staying on board last time. However, I'm a little worried about the elevators again.....hubby can get "lost" :owithout me and two chairs don't usually fit. We're planning on using walkie talkies :confused:

Thanks for letting me vent....Happy Cruisin To All!

That there are so very few accessible cabins on most ships, thereby requiring us to book 6 to 9 months in advance. It also means not being able to take advantage of sales, last minute offers, etc. And we live close to 3 different ports!

Oh well, at least we CAN book (although I cannot tell you how many times we've tried to book, and literally sat there, hearing "nope, all booked" for sailing after sailing).

My problem is similar to Ruth's. On most days, to look at me, people think I'm fine. I do have a lot of health problems, but it is not apparent when you look at me. I can only do a few stairs at a time and can't walk or stand except for short times. Some days are better, some are worse. I need a w/c or cane at times. Other times I'm walking okay and smiling. I always wait for someone in a wheelchair or scooter when possible. So I guess what ticks me off is when people see me being pushed in a wheelchair and then later I'm walking, though slowly. Then they shake their heads or just laugh.

I'm with you on this issue as well, Ruth.

I had Spinal Fusion Surgery in my lower back L5/S1 and when getting on the ship I can't stand on the line because lots of standing hurts. I walk with my cane inorder to avoid the lines. I don't use it on the ship unless I over exert myself. I hate to use it but people dont believe you unless they see visuals, cane, wheelchair..etc. I understand that unfortunately there are people who lie just to avoid waiting in line. Sometimes I have to show my surgical scars to get those to believe me. I also can not walk up and down the stairs so "yes" I need the elevator to go up or down "one" flight. I'm tired of the eye rolling and sucking of teeth.. It's hard for us too.

We mostly hate the rude inconsiderate people. I can't tell you how many times we were at the elevators (first ones waiting) and the door would open and all the other people would crowd on before us! UGH And of course the AB people that take HP rooms. But with the new laws that might not happen as much in the future.

I am not handicapped but if I were and this happened to me, I would nose my scooter just far enough forward so that the door can not close. Then I would announce that "I am sitting down and comfortable" and if the people who cut ahead of me to get on the elevator do not get off, it will be a very long wait.

DON

We just got back from our cruise. Even though this is a thread to vent, i just wanted to take a quick moment to mention our experience.

We were on the Pearl for 2 weeks. During this time, because of my health issues, we took the elevator alot so we got to observe elevator behaviour. I was so happy to see how well behaved everyone was. When someone in a wheelchair/cane/walker showed up, everyone waited for them to board the elevators first or lined the outsides of the elevator, freeing up the middle for their wheelchair.

I usually manned the buttons when i was in an elevator (partly so i was near the exit and didn't have to fight my way through the crowd to exit). In doing so, i could control the door open button and keep it open as long as the person in the wheelchair needed to navigate their way.

On the flip side, i did not run into any rude people in wheelchairs either. No sense of entitlement, no 'get out of my way', no bumping or if there was, both parties instantly apologized. One day as we were tendering, a gentleman in a wheelchair came down and asked how many steps there were to get into the tender and how deep of a step it was. When told it was severl steps and more than 6" deep, he thanked the officer and said he would not be able to go ashore. It could have turned ugly with complaining or making a scene, but he took it in stride. I felt bad as there really needs to be some alternative to allow those in wheelchairs to board tenders.

Anyway, i just wanted to say that there ARE wonderful people out there and they all seemed to be on the Pearl. there still is consideration and kindness in the world when it comes to people with disabilities. Unfortunately, society doesn't consider my health issues as being a disability so i still get treated with rudeness, gawking and comments, but that's a story for another time :) I know some sort of walking assistance awaits me in the future because of my many health issues, but for now, i am grateful for the ability to still walk and will help out anyone however i can.

We just got back from our cruise. Even though this is a thread to vent, i just wanted to take a quick moment to share our experience.

Anyway, i just wanted to say that there ARE wonderful people out there and they all seemed to be on the Pearl. there still is consideration and kindness in the world when it comes to people with disabilities. Unfortunately, society doesn't consider my health issues as being a disability so i still get treated with rudeness, gawking and comments, but that's a story for another time :) I know some sort of walking assistance awaits me in the future because of my many health issues, but for now, i am grateful for the ability to still walk and will help out anyone however i can.

Thank you for this lovely post and your gracious attitude.

Marlee

I agree the elevators are probly the worst problem. I travel with a large family including my Mom on a scooter and my teen Son in a manual w/c which I have to push. there are times we put one person in front of each elevator just to hold it. My other pet peeve is people who rush in front of the scooter or w/c and then act as if you need to slow down and let them thru! on our cruise on the Freedom in Oct. one lady cut in front of my sons chair while waiting to embark. she caught her heel on the front of his foot plate and I am sure it was quite painful, she then gave us both dirty looks and let everyone know how much she suffered. I will always apoligize if I have run someone over accidentally, but I decided I would not say a word to this lady or what I said would not be very ladylike. I just smiled everytime she looked at me. We will be adding a Service Dog to the mix soon so the next cruise should be even more of an adventure! The lido lunch Buffet on embark day was a nightmare! so many people, no where to sit. I even asked a crew person to help us find a spot and he just looked around helplessly. our kids were starved and we couldnt even get around the seating area when we saw a table. finally parked Mom and DS at a small table and spread everyone else around the dining room. Next time we will eat before embark and skip the whole thing.

I agree the elevators are probly the worst problem. I travel with a large family including my Mom on a scooter and my teen Son in a manual w/c which I have to push. there are times we put one person in front of each elevator just to hold it. My other pet peeve is people who rush in front of the scooter or w/c and then act as if you need to slow down and let them thru! on our cruise on the Freedom in Oct. one lady cut in front of my sons chair while waiting to embark. she caught her heel on the front of his foot plate and I am sure it was quite painful, she then gave us both dirty looks and let everyone know how much she suffered. I will always apoligize if I have run someone over accidentally, but I decided I would not say a word to this lady or what I said would not be very ladylike. I just smiled everytime she looked at me. We will be adding a Service Dog to the mix soon so the next cruise should be even more of an adventure! The lido lunch Buffet on embark day was a nightmare! so many people, no where to sit. I even asked a crew person to help us find a spot and he just looked around helplessly. our kids were starved and we couldnt even get around the seating area when we saw a table. finally parked Mom and DS at a small table and spread everyone else around the dining room. Next time we will eat before embark and skip the whole thing.

On many cruise lines -- they won't tell you this, but one of the main dining rooms IS open for lunch on embarkation day. They'll direct everyone to the buffet, but if you scout around a bit, you'll find the open dining room where there are very few people, it's quiet, restful after the stress of embarkation, and the staff are very attentitive. The menu might be a bit more limited than it will be the rest of the cruise, but it's much much nicer than fighting the buffet. I never go to the buffet unless absolutely necessary!

On many cruise lines -- they won't tell you this, but one of the main dining rooms IS open for lunch on embarkation day. They'll direct everyone to the buffet, but if you scout around a bit, you'll find the open dining room where there are very few people, it's quiet, restful after the stress of embarkation, and the staff are very attentitive. The menu might be a bit more limited than it will be the rest of the cruise, but it's much much nicer than fighting the buffet. I never go to the buffet unless absolutely necessary!

Oh, I wish we had known this! I was already a wreck becouse within 10min of boarding we were in the lobby when a gentleman had what appeared to be a massive heart attack. I am a former EMT and began resusitation attempts and assisted the ship personel when they arrived to help. I stepped back when the medical team arrived but it left me rather frazzled. then to fight the lido with hungry and cranky kids (and adults!) was almost too much.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be cruising in a party of 8 with my inlaws. Note to self: Eat a substantial breakfast before embarking and check to see if the main dining room is an option instead of the cattle call at the buffet. If DH & inlaws prefer to fight the crowds at the buffet, they can find me in the MDR if open and if not, the nearest bar :):)

Thanks for the heads up. I will be cruising in a party of 8 with my inlaws. Note to self: Eat a substantial breakfast before embarking and check to see if the main dining room is an option instead of the cattle call at the buffet. If DH & inlaws prefer to fight the crowds at the buffet, they can find me in the MDR if open and if not, the nearest bar :):)

Yeah, that's generally my plan! :D There'll be plenty of food later.

• 2 weeks later...

My pet peeve is being accosted by a person with a visible handicap when coming out of a hc cabin just because my disability is not readily visible. I am a bk amputee that gets around well most of the time, but have fallen twice in a standard cabin when going to the restroom because of the lip, and find it impossible to get around in a standard cabin in the middle of the night without my prosthesis. I also have a hard time using the tiny shower on one leg. People need to be a LOT more considerate when encountering someone they have seen for the first time and not make stupid, uncalled for comments. I am now off of my soapbox...thank you for listening.

Bill

My pet peeve is being accosted by a person with a visible handicap when coming out of a hc cabin just because my disability is not readily visible. I am a bk amputee that gets around well most of the time, but have fallen twice in a standard cabin when going to the restroom because of the lip, and find it impossible to get around in a standard cabin in the middle of the night without my prosthesis. I also have a hard time using the tiny shower on one leg. People need to be a LOT more considerate when encountering someone they have seen for the first time and not make stupid, uncalled for comments. I am now off of my soapbox...thank you for listening.

Bill

Wouldn't the world be a much better place if people would just mind their own business and keep their opinions to themselves. What difference could it possibly make to them what HC a person has or doesn't have!!!!!!!!!

Bill

I know what you mean. My DS can look "normal" when he has a good day and decides he wants to walk a bit. That does not mean he is up to walking from the back of a parking lot or that by afternoon he will not need his chair. I have gotten plenty of dirty looks for using hc parking. One lady even screamed at me as I was getting out of my van "Hey! are you handicapped?" to which I smiled and replied "NO" she then drove off furious and cursing only to circle back around just as I helped DS into his chair. then she screamed "Hey! you said you weren't handicapped!" and I replied "I'M NOT!" our next cruise I will be getting an hc cabin, we will also have a service dog with us, and just let someone comment to me! When someone says you don't look disabled, just respond, "and you don't look stupid, I guess looks can be decieving!"

"and you don't look stupid, I guess looks can be decieving!"

Krisnme: Now thats funny, I actually did LOL. I am disabled, but have good days and bad days. On good days I do not take a handicap space. On bad days I do and boy do I get "the look". I hate it. I want to scream at them, but I don't. But don't push me into a corner, or I will come out of it screaming!

What bothers me most is lack of accurate information regarding tours and the way other cruisers act. I travel with my mom who has asthma and copd. She also has arthritis that slows her down. Because of the breathing issues she cannot walk quickly, for long distances or handle a lot of stairs. The arthritis really lets out stairs without railings.

We try to pick excursions that do not include a lot of stairs and long walking. It's very frustrating to deal with a guide who gets angry because he has to wait for you to catch up. Unfortunately the tour descriptions are not always accurate. I don't know if this is because the cruise line does not provide an accurate description or because the tour operator does not provide the services contracted for.

We are currently cruising and just finished a tour to Pompei the other day. The description said that from the pier a shuttle would take us to the bus which would take us to Pompei and back and then a shuttle would take us back to the pier. Well, this was not how it worked out. After Pompei we were driven back to Sorrento into a parking lot with no shuttle in sight. The guide said it was just a short walk to the shuttle. I tried to ask him how long and he was very annoyed with me. He pointed to a spot on a wall and said just to that point.

We figured we could make it to that point, and with my mom struggling we got that far. That wasn't the shuttle stop. It was much further. At one point we lost the guide and I had to run to see which way he had turn. I called out for him and for the group to wait. He was very angry. I asked him to please go slower and he really got nasty. I said we were nervous because we had lost sight of him and didn't know where we were going. He got very nasty and was yelling. I lost it and started yelling back. It had been a horrible tour which had started off by getting hurt on the shuttle. I just was not in the mood for this. We finally made it to the shuttle. Now they had two shuttles to get us to the bus, now there was only one and all the AB passengers piled on. No room for us. Even when asked to make space for a handicapped person we were yelled at to wait for the next one. They were not running frequently. Oh well, we cut our losses and too a cab back.

As for the way AB passengers act. I get really annoyed when they act as if you are moving slowly just to slow them down. I was always taught to help and respect my elders and people with disabilities. It sure doesn't happen any more. Example again from Pompei trip. When we got on the crowded shuttle it was standing room only. The few seats were taking by AB passengers, old and young. I managed to get my mom situated where she could hold on and brace herself. I was not so lucky. I could barely reach the pole and my foot was at the top of the stairs. When the bus flew around a corner I fell wrenching my shoulder and knee. My mom fell on someone's lap. Then everyone starts giving you dirty looks like you did it on purpose. It made Pompei really hard because I could barely get through it myself and was of limited use to her so she was even slower than usual. The slowness really annoyed the guide.

My mom did tell me that some people did help her quite a bit getting up and down the high curbs. I didn't really notice because I was having a huge problem just getting up and down after the fall. I'm glad that there are still some kind people out there.

Didn't mean to ramble on. I guess I'm still really angry about the whole experience. It's the first time I've had a guide be that rude. We were on another excursion and my mom got sick. The guide was wonderful. She called the company and they made arrangements to get us back to the ship as soon as they could.

Wendy

I think there is a problem with tour descriptions. Perhaps the reason is that able bodied folks write the description and don't see the hurdles that appear to us (and are different for each of us given our particulary problems). I find it interesting that the "easy" tours which proclaim that they offer "less" walking are frequently a poor choice for me as they are scheduled in large buses and the stairs up into the bus are problematic. I tend to do much better with small vans and would not even try to do Pompeii on anything other than a private tour.

Archived