No Open Dining on Eurodam for November 13 sailing!

madcat444

Just printed off my Boarding Documents for Eurodam on November 13 2010 and noticed my dining assignment has been changed :mad:

When I booked in March I specified Open Dining and it came back as available but when I printed the docs off I noticed it now says "Main Upper Dining" :confused:

I phoned HAL and it seems that they cancelled Open Dining about a week after I booked it as there is a note in from their Head Office saying it had been changed due to Open Dining being cancelled but no explanation why and the girl I spoke to didn't know why Reservations/Cutomer Services hadn't been informed so as to enable them to let passengers know!! Not particularly happy about this especially as Early Dining is on a long waitlist (which I am now at the bottom of! :rolleyes:)

I know a lot of people like to eat later but 8pm dining does not appeal to me in the slightest I'm afraid so looks like the Lido for me!!

Anyone else experienced this?

Fiona

Just printed off my Boarding Documents for Eurodam on November 13 2010 and noticed my dining assignment has been changed :mad:

When I booked in March I specified Open Dining and it came back as available but when I printed the docs off I noticed it now says "Main Upper Dining" :confused:

I phoned HAL and it seems that they cancelled Open Dining about a week after I booked it as there is a note in from their Head Office saying it had been changed due to Open Dining being cancelled but no explanation why and the girl I spoke to didn't know why Reservations/Cutomer Services hadn't been informed so as to enable them to let passengers know!! Not particularly happy about this especially as Early Dining is on a long waitlist (which I am now at the bottom of! :rolleyes:)

I know a lot of people like to eat later but 8pm dining does not appeal to me in the slightest I'm afraid so looks like the Lido for me!!

Fiona

I always book Open Dining (and I always eat dinner in the Lido)! And why not! It is much faster service in the Lido, same menu as the MDR, you can "direct" the server(s) as to the quantity of portions to be placed on your plate and all the dessert you can eat!:) Oh, and I can eat & be out of the Lido in 30 minutes, as opposed to 2 - 2 and one-half hours in the MDR, (with tablemates that may not be "compatible" dining partners)!:)

Fiona

my TA was informed that it is due to a large group onboard. might i also suggest room service. you can get any item offered in MDR during open hours.

Thanks for the replies.....I figured I'd give the Open Dining a try as I'm travelling on my own and don't particularly want to get stuck at a table of the same 8-10 people for a full week (they may well feel the same way about me for that matter!! *LOL* :D)

Actually my documents don't state table size so might get back onto them to check. Saying that, if my "early" waitlist doesn't clear I can't see me eating at 8pm so it will be the Lido or room service. Just thought I might like company at some point while eating and meet some fellow travellers. Guess I'll have to see how things pan out. :)

Also, I would have thought a group may have been better suited to a "fixed" dining time but in saying that they may be taking over the whole of the lower dining room if it's a large enough group :(

Fiona

Peaches......I saw on another topic something about a Spy Cruise but didn't for a second imagine it would be that big. Thought most of them would want to travel "incognito"!! :D

Any yes, it would have been nice to know that was the case before now :(

we on this cruise and it is due to a large political group 600 i think i read somewhere we wanted open seating and have got late dining which is fine but on a 6 table which isnt when i requested table for2 we always get tables for 2 on anytime dining and i will be mad if this cant happen on the fixed seating, but on bright side open dining is back on for our second week of the back to back

edited to say sorry reread post and you are on the eurodam we are on nieuw amsterdam but cant work out how to delete post

Eurodam

November 13-20, 2010 in the Caribbean

SpyCruise®

A National Security Educational Lecture/Seminar Series

SpyCruise® is a private group aboard a cruise ship where members attend exclusive lectures and talks on espionage, spies, intelligence, counterterrorism and more.

Speakers are intelligence experts, leaders, officers, operatives, analysts, authors and historians, many of whom served in the US Intelligence Community.

Each cruise we choose a different ship, a different destination and a different agenda. See previous SpyCruises: Western Caribbean| Hawaii | London on the QE2

SpyCruise® is a unique opportunity for anyone interested in the topic of intelligence to meet and learn from real experts in the intelligence field as well as others who share the same interest in this topic and history, world affairs, intelligence, military, books, etc.

Lectures are normally once a day and the rest of the time is yours to enjoy the cruise ship and its excursions at different destinations.

http://spytrek.com/spycruise.html

Joanie

I always book Open Dining (and I always eat dinner in the Lido)! And why not! It is much faster service in the Lido, same menu as the MDR, you can "direct" the server(s) as to the quantity of portions to be placed on your plate and all the dessert you can eat!:) Oh, and I can eat & be out of the Lido in 30 minutes, as opposed to 2 - 2 and one-half hours in the MDR, (with tablemates that may not be "compatible" dining partners)!:)

Actually the Lido has similar items to the MDR - not the exact items, you can have double portions in the MDR and you can have all the dessert you want in the MDR as well. If you wish to eat in the Lido, that is your right -- and I am not saying anything against it. Just wanted to clarify a few items

I can see where a large group could preempt early or late seating to accommodate their meeting schedule.

Bumping AYWD reservations, however, is unjustified favoritism for a large block over individual customers.

Those who wanted AYWD all along, especially those who initially received confirmation, should just present themselves at the lower dining room and let the maitre d' deal with it. If they obstruct the spies, so be it.

This is poor, poor customer relations by HAL. If a group books too late to assure open seating for the entire group, then some of the group should just live with assigned seating. That's what everybody else has to do.

Those who wanted AYWD all along, especially those who initially received confirmation, should just present themselves at the lower dining room and let the maitre d' deal with it.
But what about those who want to dine (and are confirmed) on the upper level? Are you expecting them to go to the lower level too? :confused:

I always prefer late (8pm) dining. Try the afternoon tea if you get hungry.

igraf

....I know a lot of people like to eat later but 8pm dining does not appeal to me in the slightest I'm afraid so looks like the Lido for me!!

Fiona

As long as the Lido is available, you can certainly get a good meal up there. I would not see the cancelling of Open Dining as a major problem. If the Lido were not available, then it would be a problem and you can also on one night go to the Pinacle or the Italian restaurant in one section of the Lido. The manager is a real good guy. Was with him on the Rotterdam in July and with him on the Eurodam a couple of weeks ago.

I can see where a large group could preempt early or late seating to accommodate their meeting schedule.

Bumping AYWD reservations, however, is unjustified favoritism for a large block over individual customers.

Yet bumping folks who had booked Early or Late seating in favor of the group would be justified?

To me, keeping Open/Lower seating available for the group is about the best outcome so that the other pax who prefer not to dine at fixed times can choose the Lido where comparable dining accommodations are available.

We booked in late September and were assigned to Anytime dining. Upper dining was not available. You may want to check with your travel agent.

I just confirmed my express docs again online and can confirm that we're still assigned to Anytime dining.

Interesting point of view. We assume you are also aware that many cruisers enjoy dining, as opposed to a fast food experience, and are not in a great hurry to be served. For us, a long dinner with interesting tablemates is one of the highlights of our cruising day. As to the quantity issue, the MDR waiters will cheerfully bring you 2,3,4 or more desserts if you ask... We do agree with your comment about tablemates which is why we generally opt for Anytime Dining. This allows us to dine with different folks every night or form our own group on other nights. Love the flexibility.

Hank

Hey Madcat,

Yes, we're on the 11/13 sailing of the Eurodam. We have Main Dining Lower Level listed on our reservation. I guess if they did cancel Anytime dining, then we're eating during Main Dining. (Usually Lower Level is anytime dining.)

Not good since we have a 15 month old.

Oh well....looks like we may be ordering Dinner room service or trying to get in cabin babysitting.

hey tcnjkid......yeah looks like they've gone to set dining times on both levels. Not too good for you if they have you on Main Dining. You could call them and get them to waitlist you on Early, that's what I've done but was advised there was a long waitlist!! I don't like eating as late as 8pm so will be Lido etc for me. And after reading a few posts saying MDR dining takes about 2hours I definately think it will be Lido as I don't want to be stuck in a dining room at 10pm that's for sure :D

I can understand that large groups can sometimes inconvenience others. But it seems like your first choice was Open dining, second choice of Early and third of Late.

I would call HAL and let them know that one of the reasons you book early is to get your dining assignement. Since your 1st choice is not available let them know you will be happy with your 2nd choice. Let them bump some of the later booking passengers.

JHMO,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to print out our tickets for the Eurodam November 20 sailing and see we have:

Main Upper Dining

I cannot remember what we chose to be honest but just wanted to confirm a couple of things:

That will be an 8pm seating; correct?

Are we going to miss any show start if we choose to dine at that time (given that someone has suggested 2 hours to dine)?

Can we just skip it and go to the free for all dining (or whatever it's called :p)?

I see the Lido is an alternative that is recommended; we can eat there any time of the evening?

Hey Fiona, have a terrific cruise. My 9 year old would LOVED to have been on a cruise full of spies :)

Alba gu bràth

Archived