Worried about getting there on time?

Hole7Hawg

I would not be a happy camper to be landing that close to departure. At that point VIP boarding should not mean much if anything. The important thing will be to be in the terminal before the ship sails. While you will be fine if everything foes on schedule, one canceled flight or good delay and you will miss the ship.

Is there anyway to arrive earlier or even better the day before?

"VIP loading" has no meaning in this context as that is only helpful when you are at a port with the masses (usually the time they first begin boarding). As to your dilemma you will probably be fine but think of it as a learning experience. Many cruisers have discovered that its nice to fly-in at least 1 day early in order to avoid the stress. Another reason for arriving early is that if your luggage gets lost there is a good chance it will catch-up before your cruise.

Hank

Without a doubt, I would be buying insurance for this situation!

Have you already booked? If an earlier flight costs $215 more per person, have you looked at a flight the previous day? A hotel won't cost that much per person. (If it's a change fee for an already booked flight, then this tip won't help...)

Assuming all goes according to plan, you'll make it. If it's going to cost you another $600 to change flights...that's pretty steep. Chances are things will be fine. I wouldn't spend that additional money on a "what if" thing.

However, next time...go the day before!!! It keeps the stress level down, AND, you get more use of the ship on boarding day which IS day 1 of your cruise that you've paid for! By arriving so late, you've wasted a whole day!

Without a doubt, I would be buying insurance for this situation!

Have you already booked? If an earlier flight costs $215 more per person, have you looked at a flight the previous day? A hotel won't cost that much per person. (If it's a change fee for an already booked flight, then this tip won't help...)

Most travel insurance have "fine print" language which would not cover missing a ship in this situation. It is quite common to see a requirement that the air must be scheduled to arrive at least 6 hours (or longer) prior to a cruise in order to qualify for insurance assistance. Anyone buying trip insurance in this situation should take the time to get the entire policy (usually available for download) and read every word.

Hank

I would be paying the money to change the flight. You have to be onboard the ship by 8:30pm. The pier is 20-30 minutes away from the airport. So you've only allowed yourself 2 hours for getting luggage (it took us about 45 minutes to get luggage when we flew into SJU) and for any delays.

I'm in the same position although our time window is slightly more than yours into Miami.

Since writing on CC for input & inspite of travel insurance etc, we're changing our flights and arriving the day before. I'm already sleeping better !!!!

Archived