Why would anyone get the Passport CARD?

cmptrwiz

Yeah I had written that and deleted it, but I was more interested in people who are merely going to the Bahamas or the Caribbean?

I didnt see any Alaska cruises listed on CrusinCorys sig so that's why I asked.:)

Bill

Yeah, haven't had the opportunity to go to Alaska yet. We are saving right now so we can take a cruise to Alaska on our 5yr anniversary.:D

We just sent in our renewal for our passports. Have no reason to pay extra money for the card when the passport will cover all types of travel. We do other types of travel, ie: AI's, etc., so the card would not work for us.

The only reason I can see to have it is like stated above, if you are traveling back and forth frequently, between Canada/US or Mexico/US, by land.

Yeah I had written that and deleted it, but I was more interested in people who are merely going to the Bahamas or the Caribbean?

I didnt see any Alaska cruises listed on CrusinCorys sig so that's why I asked.:)

Bill

Ya, other than going back and forth across the line into canada or mexico, the card is pretty useless.

Wrong. It's good for land and sea travel between US and Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Nope, you are wrong.

From the FAQ section of the website you linked to

minus_blue.jpgWhy can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda?

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.

Some people might get the card because it's much faster. Here in Dallas, you can go downtown to the Federal building, and they'll issue one on the spot... whereas a passport (even expedited) can take several weeks,

I seriously considered getting a card. I booked a cruise for December and THEN looked at my passport. It had expired 3 weeks ago. YIKES !!!! So I thought about getting a card, but then decided to bit the bullet and go with the express passport renewal. It took a little longer, but I'd just rather have the book.

With 3 kids under 16, it made more financial sense for us to get them cards. My 17 year old son, and my wife both got books since they're good for 10 years. Under 16, books and cards are only good for 5 years. Since we have no plans for international travel other than a cruise every two or three years, we went with cards. No need to spend more than the minimum for the short renewal period for the youngins.

Nope, you are wrong.

From the FAQ section of the website you linked to

minus_blue.jpgWhy can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda?

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.

How am I wrong? :confused: The passport card, as I said, is good for land and SEA travel between the US and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Never did I say the passport card is good for air travel.

Maybe I miss understood Carnival, but their website says

"U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID.

I think it is great if she is able to cruise that way!

Another example of the butchering of the English language (not by the poster but by Carnival).

It should read: "U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, as well as a government-issued photo ID or a passport card, or enhanced driver’s license (EDL).

How am I wrong? :confused: The passport card, as I said, is good for land and SEA travel between the US and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Never did I say the passport card is good for air travel.

My apologies, I mis-read your post. You were correct. Now, I feel like a horses a$$:o

Ya, other than going back and forth across the line into canada or mexico, the card is pretty uselesshttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=26725779.

Amended version of above:

Ya, other than going back and forth across the line into canada or mexico, or cruising to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean, the card is pretty useless.

Another example of the butchering of the English language (not by the poster but by Carnival).

It should read: "U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, as well as a government-issued photo ID or a passport card, or enhanced driver’s license (EDL).

Thanks. You are right that makes a lot more sense.

Wiz

But the passport card is no better than the birth certificate/govt photo id.:confused:

Bill

Well, the passport card is photo ID and birth certificate rolled into one. Wife and I got the cards because we DO NOT FLY!

Yeah, yeah, I know all about "how ya gonna get back if you miss the ship..." We won't. "...or if you get sick in a foreign port." On the slim chance that would occur, the U.S. embassy can do a lot more for you with that card than they can with a BC and ID... and they'd still have to find a water route home - I repeat "WE DO NOT FLY!" IF we had to find a cabin in a freighter we would, and in that case the card is usable by itself.

Oh! The card is a photo ID, and it worked just fine in the terminal building at Nassau when we went back to Fascination during our cruise in September.

The devil is in the punctuation and syntax. The best would have been "...not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as a Passport Card, an enhanced drivers license, or a certificate of naturalization or certified copy of a birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID."

With 3 kids under 16, it made more financial sense for us to get them cards. My 17 year old son, and my wife both got books since they're good for 10 years. Under 16, books and cards are only good for 5 years. Since we have no plans for international travel other than a cruise every two or three years, we went with cards. No need to spend more than the minimum for the short renewal period for the youngins.

you guys must go into Canada. :)

Bill

If you read the FAQ from the Carnival website, it says:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents Click Here

So, if you were to read it literally, you would also need a government-issued ID with a passport too.:rolleyes:

Just off a cruise on the fantasy. Going in just showed passport card and fun (boarding) pass and just the passport card getting off ship. That's literally how it works.

Amended version of above:

Ya, other than going back and forth across the line into canada or mexico, or cruising to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean, the card is pretty useless.

Sure. Good point. And if you do get stuck on Bermuda for some reason, enjoy having to take a cargo ship home because you can't fly:)

Sure. Good point. And if you do get stuck on Bermuda for some reason, enjoy having to take a cargo ship home because you can't fly:)

I keep forgetting about those colonies of Americans all over the world that just cannot seem to get U.S. Dept. of State permission to return home through the local consulate. Especially if they possess a form of identification that has been vetted to the same standards as a regular passport, and is approved by the WHTI. Poor, lost souls!:rolleyes:

Archived