Would Alaska itineraries for 2011 stay the same for 2012?

spacepotatoes

My husband and I are planning to do an Alaskan cruise in summer 2012. We'd like to book as early as we can, preferably right after the itineraries are released (we've heard next spring). I'm currently looking into what the 2011 itineraries are like and have found a couple that look very good. So I'm wondering what are the odds that they will be the same in 2012? Do they generally stay consistent from year to year? I know that NCL's Alaskan itineraries do, but the ones I'm interested in are on HAL. Should I just hold off and wait to start researching again in the spring?

Thanks!

There has been a fair amount of agitation between the Alaskan state government and the cruise industry the last couple of years. As a result, many cruise lines pulled back on the number of cruises they were doing (2009, 2010, etc.). This situation has resolved itself and the cruise lines are adding to the number of cruises they are doing (2011 and potentially 2012). The point is, you may have more options...not less. Good luck in your selection process and on your cruise.

A year ago we were doing what you're doing now. We picked our favorite 2010 itineraries then, late in winter, contacted our PCC who was able to tell me that there were no changes planned for 2011 for the itinerary we wanted. We then just had to wait for itineraries to be released before we could book. Since new itineraries are possible, you may want to periodically check on new itinerary releases on every line in which you are interested just to be sure there's not a new itinerary you like better. HAL's 2011 itineraries came out in early April this year.

A year ago we were doing what you're doing now. We picked our favorite 2010 itineraries then, late in winter, contacted our PCC who was able to tell me that there were no changes planned for 2011 for the itinerary we wanted. We then just had to wait for itineraries to be released before we could book. Since new itineraries are possible, you may want to periodically check on new itinerary releases on every line in which you are interested just to be sure there's not a new itinerary you like better. HAL's 2011 itineraries came out in early April this year.

Thanks, LindaKE, this is exactly what I was looking for! I see by your signature that you'll be on the Zuiderdam next June, that's actually our top pick :) Well, it's a toss up between Zuiderdam and Volendam since they seem to be running the same itineraries, just on different dates and at slightly different rates. Were you able to get good pricing by booking so early? That's what we're counting on...we only have experience with NCL so far, but they offer some very good early booking fares if you book far enough out.

Thanks, LindaKE, this is exactly what I was looking for! I see by your signature that you'll be on the Zuiderdam next June, that's actually our top pick :) Well, it's a toss up between Zuiderdam and Volendam since they seem to be running the same itineraries, just on different dates and at slightly different rates. Were you able to get good pricing by booking so early? That's what we're counting on...we only have experience with NCL so far, but they offer some very good early booking fares if you book far enough out.

HAL also has the most unique land packages also. If you are thinking about doing a land package with your cruise, check out what they do and where they go. HAL does things none of the other lines do.

So far we haven't seen the price fall which I've been hoping for. I know that as the cruise gets closer, fares will rise. On our last cruise (NCL to Canada/New England) we booked early like we did for our upcoming cruise. The prices fell a couple of times and we were able to take advantage of the lower fare. But by the time the cruise happened, people were paying $600 pp more for cabins in our category than we did. Since this is Alaska and our first HAL cruise, I don't know how it will compare.

Choosing between the Volendam and the Zuiderdam: Ports will be less crowded on the Volendam's Wednesday sailing, generally about 1 less ship in each port. The Zuiderdam has more balcony cabins at a lower price, but is bigger. I understand that the Volendam generally has more mature cruisers and a more intimate feel. We chose the Z because of the balcony cabins and the deck plans.

Archived