"LIVE" from Enchantment of the Seas / Nov 4, 2010

Radio

we just got off the Enchantment (I've posted a review).

There was a high % of disabled pax, many in wheelchairs - even a group home for the severely disabled, sailed with us. Very few children ... IMHO, the Enchantment is way too small for that many wheelchairs. 2 w.chairs, could effectively clog a walkway - for the most part, they were rude w/attitude. sorry, folks, but that's the truth. saw Many w.chair mishaps - one mishap ended up sending an able-body pax to the Medical Facility, for xrays.

For kids: two nice outdoor pools, when the weather is agreeable. same for the rock climbing wall. Small arcade. If I were bringing kids on board, I'd be bringing Lots of their favorite electronics/books, etc. for on board entertainment.

At the various ports, there are plenty of tours for kinder-entertainment. Good beaches, etc. On a 12-nt cruise, you've got 3 sea days south, then 3 sea days north. Kids tend to get bored. I can think of better ships for kids, but cruising out of Baltimore is so easy.

There was a high % of disabled pax' date=' many in wheelchairs - even a [i']group home for the severely disabled[/i], sailed with us. Very few children ... IMHO, the Enchantment is way too small for that many wheelchairs. 2 w.chairs, could effectively clog a walkway - for the most part, they were rude w/attitude. sorry, folks, but that's the truth. saw Many w.chair mishaps - one mishap ended up sending an able-body pax to the Medical Facility, for xrays.

Wow.

I think it is absolutely wonderful that so many people who use wheel chairs were able to enjoy that cruise. I am astonished that you would say "even a group home for the severely disabled" as though they were second class citizens or otherwise undeserving. The only attitude I detected was fantastic.

Among those who uses a wheelchair was Miss Wheelchair America (perhaps the title is a bit wrong, but the honor is well deserved) who holds a high position in a major government agency and who also is employed as an enrichment speaker for Celebrity.

I was blessed and privaleged to have worked for 23 years as a vocational rehabilitation counselor, and was overjoyed at seeing all the folks with mobility and multiple disablities being able to enjoy a wonderful cruise.

By the way, ambulatory folks can sure block passageways for those who use wheelchairs or mobility carts ;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We have been looking for a family cruise for March and I found a fantastic deal on the 9 night Bahamas Itinerary. Just wondering how much there is for teens to do...we have 2 boys that will be 13 and 15 at time of sailing. The only other cruise we've done was NCL Dawn to the Bermuda in May of 2009 and it's not a bells and whistles ship either and they were kept busy. I just wondering with a few extra days will the Enchantment have enough. :confused:

As long as you cruise during a school vacation like spring break, there will be lots of kids onboard. Royal has pretty good programs for kids. They divide up by age group, so even the teens should be kept busy. Parents tend to take them on the shorter cruises though, so not to lose class time. A nine day may be pushing it.

Folks who cruise during the school year will see few kids. My wife and I did a 12 day last February and only saw 25 folks on the whole ship under 40.

There was a high % of disabled pax' date=' many in wheelchairs - even a [i']group home for the severely disabled[/i], sailed with us. Very few children ... IMHO, the Enchantment is way too small for that many wheelchairs. 2 w.chairs, could effectively clog a walkway - for the most part, they were rude w/attitude. sorry, folks, but that's the truth. saw Many w.chair mishaps - one mishap ended up sending an able-body pax to the Medical Facility, for xrays.

Wow.

I think it is absolutely wonderful that so many people who use wheel chairs were able to enjoy that cruise. I am astonished that you would say "even a group home for the severely disabled" as though they were second class citizens or otherwise undeserving. The only attitude I detected was fantastic.

Among those who uses a wheelchair was Miss Wheelchair America (perhaps the title is a bit wrong, but the honor is well deserved) who holds a high position in a major government agency and who also is employed as an enrichment speaker for Celebrity.

I was blessed and privaleged to have worked for 23 years as a vocational rehabilitation counselor, and was overjoyed at seeing all the folks with mobility and multiple disablities being able to enjoy a wonderful cruise.

By the way, ambulatory folks can sure block passageways for those who use wheelchairs or mobility carts ;).

Happy Sails to You

wvufan...Thanks for stating what many of us were thinking!

... Wow. I think it is absolutely wonderful that so many people who use wheel chairs were able to enjoy that cruise. I am astonished that you would say "even a group home for the severely disabled" as though they were second class citizens or otherwise undeserving. The only attitude I detected was fantastic.

By the way, ambulatory folks can sure block passageways for those who use wheelchairs or mobility carts ;). ..:D:D Bob and Phyl

I expected your reply....but, let me add that one doesn't always know what one doesn't know.

I know a pax ended up in the Medical Facility for xrays/treatment because one senior wheelchair rider not only backed out of the elevator w/o looking, knocking him down and totally running over his foot, but she saw what she did and rudely took off in another direction. Didn't even say "sorry". So, yes, IMHO, there were too many w.chairs for the small venue - I'm all for Rights and don't dispute what you say BUT I expect ALL cruise pax to use good manners and respect everyone's right. Just because you may be riding a chair does NOT give you the right to run into people, knock them down, or run full-tilt through the walkways. I saw ALL of this -- even saw a w.chair rider going down a ramp, when in fact, she was "missing" two steps (Boleros) - pax saw what was happening, and caught her, avoiding a terrible disaster. Fortunately, the "catchers" weren't hurt, either. BTW, I did ask and was told that a Travel Agent who specializes in disabled travel did have a group home on board, as well as others, in her group. YOU are the one that SAID as though they were second class citizens or otherwise undeserving. That thought did NOT occur to me!

You don't know what you know, no matter where you work, or what you do.

Regarding SMOKING - not enforced, and as I've said, even it was was, it is a small ship and the smoke permeates the whole area.

Regarding KIDS - there are specialized activities and areas. Kids are not a problem, no matter how many there are, because when there are many, xtra Security, Programs, and the like are added.

Regarding Seating in the Theater and the Windjammer: Enchantment is a stretched ship - but the Theater and WJ did not increase seating, correspondingly. If you had VIP seating, you didn't have a problem.

Peace On Earth.

I expected your reply....but' date=' let me add that one doesn't always know what one doesn't know.

I know a pax ended up in the Medical Facility for xrays/treatment because one senior wheelchair rider not only backed out of the elevator w/o looking, knocking him down and totally running over his foot, but she [i']saw [/i]what she did and rudely took off in another direction. Didn't even say "sorry". So, yes, IMHO, there were too many w.chairs for the small venue - I'm all for Rights and don't dispute what you say BUT I expect ALL cruise pax to use good manners and respect everyone's right. Just because you may be riding a chair does NOT give you the right to run into people, knock them down, or run full-tilt through the walkways. I saw ALL of this -- even saw a w.chair rider going down a ramp, when in fact, she was "missing" two steps (Boleros) - pax saw what was happening, and caught her, avoiding a terrible disaster. Fortunately, the "catchers" weren't hurt, either. BTW, I did ask and was told that a Travel Agent who specializes in disabled travel did have a group home on board, as well as others, in her group. YOU are the one that SAID as though they were second class citizens or otherwise undeserving. That thought did NOT occur to me!

Regarding SMOKING - not enforced, and as I've said, even it was was, it is a small ship and the smoke permeates the whole area.

Regarding KIDS - there are specialized activities and areas. Kids are not a problem, no matter how many there are, because when there are many, xtra Security, Programs, and the like are added.

Regarding Seating in the Theater and the Windjammer: Enchantment is a stretched ship - but the Theater and WJ did not increase seating, correspondingly. If you had VIP seating, you didn't have a problem.

Peace On Earth.

I've seen some of the behavior you describe. Glad no-one has run over my foot that I have had multiple surgeries on. If I'm ever in a scooter/chair, I will make sure that I am careful.

I expected your reply....but' date=' let me add that one doesn't always know what one doesn't know.

I know a pax ended up in the Medical Facility for xrays/treatment because one senior wheelchair rider not only backed out of the elevator w/o looking, knocking him down and totally running over his foot, but she [i']saw [/i]what she did and rudely took off in another direction. Didn't even say "sorry". So, yes, IMHO, there were too many w.chairs for the small venue - I'm all for Rights and don't dispute what you say BUT I expect ALL cruise pax to use good manners and respect everyone's right. Just because you may be riding a chair does NOT give you the right to run into people, knock them down, or run full-tilt through the walkways. I saw ALL of this -- even saw a w.chair rider going down a ramp, when in fact, she was "missing" two steps (Boleros) - pax saw what was happening, and caught her, avoiding a terrible disaster. Fortunately, the "catchers" weren't hurt, either. BTW, I did ask and was told that a Travel Agent who specializes in disabled travel did have a group home on board, as well as others, in her group. YOU are the one that SAID as though they were second class citizens or otherwise undeserving. That thought did NOT occur to me!

Peace On Earth.

It's been my experience that a small percentage of any group of people; Eskimos, left-handed folks, nuclear scientists, the disabled, or any other, are jerks. It's just the odds of human nature. To believe that every single member of any group is perfect in every way is preposterous. Any group will have some jerks hiding within it. Thanks for being brave enough to tell us the way it is.

Someone was obviously far more polite than I am. If some clown ran over my wife's foot, noticed it, and did not apologize, I would have chased after them and popped them in the face with my elbow. Even if they were a paraplegic nun. And then I would have apologized to set a good example. :D I love being as old as I am. I can be "eccentric". ;)

At times I can be a bit of a jerk too. But I will own up to it.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments, and I hope you liked this "LIVE" from the Enchantment of the Seas thread. . .

Be sure to tune in for my next report. . .

"LIVE" from the Oasis of the Seas coming up on Jan 22, 2011 !

Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to everyone. . .

Radio

;);)

A calm view from my cabin on Enchantment of the Seas

T31.JPG

Thank you Radio. I linked this thread on our 12/6 roll call several times and it was a great source of info which got us all enthusiastic. Your reviews are, by far, the best in the business.

I know others have urged you to join us on the Mercury Feb 14th-cabins still available ;)

Merry Christmas and Happy Sails to You:)

I've seen some of the behavior you describe. Glad no-one has run over my foot that I have had multiple surgeries on. If I'm ever in a scooter/chair, I will make sure that I am careful.

One cannot pass judgement as such. Many People have mental and physical disabilites . They do not always comprend the situation at hand.

Stops when driver releases the "go" button. But inertia keeps the vehicle going for a while. When I can, I use feet as brakes.

How can they then safely be used on ramps that are specifically built for access by handicapped persons?

Theron

Specifically built ramps have small slope. And as long as you are not "speeding" they can be handled. The original post on this indicated the scooter users were not the most courteous. If the user has not used the scooter before (rental), it takes some getting used to. All I was trying to say.

• 1 month later...

It is Cayo Leventado for sure. Hard to forget that amazing view. You get there by tender, but you'll have to book and pay for it ahead of time. That can be done on-board if you prefer.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The tender crew will tell you this as you make the trip: the white lounge chairs are free for RC guests to use. The problem is that there are other chairs on the beach (with blue covers) and you do have to pay to use them. If you sit in one of those, the beach staff will approach you to collect the money and if you'd prefer a more comfortable lounger- fair enough. However- they WILL try to make you believe that you have to pay for any chair you use. That's not true- it's only the covered loungers!

Archived