Just back from Carnival Spirit--Alcohol

onthehighseas606

Just got back from a back-to-back cruise on board the Carnival Spirit. This was our 5th time on the Spirit. Reading all the talk about alcohol confiscation, we made it a point to ask people their experience in getting alcohol on board. It appears as though it's a hit and miss type of thing. We carried 4 bottles of wine on board, plus we had 3 boxes of bagged wine in our checked bags. All of it got on board. However, we were told by several people that their wine was confiscated in their CHECKED bags. One couple had 1 bottle of champagne for their anniversary and 1 bottle of wine. Their wine got confiscated. It was their first time on Carnival and they claimed their last. Others got their hard stuff in bottles on board while others got theirs on board in mouthwash bottles.

On the next to last day of our 5-day cruise, DH purchased 2 bottles of booze and was told it would be delivered to our room. When the last day arrived and the booze didn't arrive at our cabin, our steward told us because of the back-to-back cruise, it wouldn't be delivered. However, others that were on the same back-to-back, purchased their booze the evening of the last day and carried it back to their room. I went to the pursers desk and got a refund for the booze, and told them they had a fatal flaw in their alcohol security system.

But not all was lost. Our cabin steward knocked on our door last night and there in his hand were the two bottles of booze DH had purchased. The charge was not on our final S&S card. So alas, another fatal flaw in their dispensing of the booze from the gift shop. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Okay by me though. :D

All in all we had a great time and meet a few people from Cruise Critic.

One couple had 1 bottle of champagne for their anniversary and 1 bottle of wine. Their wine got confiscated. It was their first time on Carnival and they claimed their last.
Too bad they didn't bother to read the FAQ that clearly states they could bring that much on board but only in their carry ons. :rolleyes:

Too bad they didn't bother to read the FAQ that clearly states they could bring that much on board but only in their carry ons. :rolleyes:

These people that got their wine confiscated, were die hard RCL cruisers. And, it's surprising how many people had never heard of Cruise Critic. We made it a point to tell people to come here for the latest up-to-date info on anything to do with cruising--no matter what line they choose to cruise on.

it's surprising how many people had never heard of Cruise Critic. We made it a point to tell people to come here for the latest up-to-date info on anything to do with cruising--no matter what line they choose to cruise on.

The alcohol policy is very clearly stated on Carnival's web site.

Just got back from a back-to-back cruise on board the Carnival Spirit. This was our 5th time on the Spirit. Reading all the talk about alcohol confiscation, we made it a point to ask people their experience in getting alcohol on board. It appears as though it's a hit and miss type of thing. We carried 4 bottles of wine on board, plus we had 3 boxes of bagged wine in our checked bags. All of it got on board. However, we were told by several people that their wine was confiscated in their CHECKED bags. One couple had 1 bottle of champagne for their anniversary and 1 bottle of wine. Their wine got confiscated. It was their first time on Carnival and they claimed their last. Others got their hard stuff in bottles on board while others got theirs on board in mouthwash bottles.

On the next to last day of our 5-day cruise, DH purchased 2 bottles of booze and was told it would be delivered to our room. When the last day arrived and the booze didn't arrive at our cabin, our steward told us because of the back-to-back cruise, it wouldn't be delivered. However, others that were on the same back-to-back, purchased their booze the evening of the last day and carried it back to their room. I went to the pursers desk and got a refund for the booze, and told them they had a fatal flaw in their alcohol security system.

But not all was lost. Our cabin steward knocked on our door last night and there in his hand were the two bottles of booze DH had purchased. The charge was not on our final S&S card. So alas, another fatal flaw in their dispensing of the booze from the gift shop. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Okay by me though. :D

All in all we had a great time and meet a few people from Cruise Critic.

Are you gonna give us a review? We sail next Friday on the Spirit for the 8 day cruise. Would love a few details...Shelly

I'm not that great at giving reviews, I have a tendency to give boring details and we really didn't participate in too many of the activities both on board and off board. We didn't go on any excursions--been there done that. I will say, that the food has gone somewhat down hill. They had a chocolate buffet on the last day of the cruise, and a Mexican buffet one night. Being on a restricted diet, I didn't participate in either of them. We participated in the bean bag toss on the 5-day and Calvin one of the activities director moderated it. He was a hoot. Beware if you participate, he has a nickname for everyone.

The gym equipment was also a big disappointment. There were 8 treadmills and only 2 were working and a 3rd one sometimes. The rowing machine located adjacent to the treadmill was also not working. People were complaining about that, and the response was always the same "sorry about that." On the 8-day leg, the same thing, broken treadmills and long waits to get one.

The first 5-day cruise we ate in the MDR for dinner. On the 8-day we opted for the Lido deck dining and will now make that our choice of dining. No more carrying an extra piece of luggage for dress up stuff.

Debarkation went swiftly and easily IF you self-assist (carry your bags off). We had an early flight at 10:30 a.m. and made it to the airport in plenty of time. No pat downs that I saw at the airport.

We spent a lot of time on our balcony enjoying wine and watching the dolphins periodically go leaping by. Whales were also seen from time-to-time.

We also just got off the Spirit this morning. Didn't have any problems with each of us taking one bottle of wine each in our carryons. Also took one rumrunner in our checked luggage. I'm not going to write a review but will be happy to answer any questions.

We are going on the Spirit in the coming weeks and are working on scheduling some activities not thru the ship and was wondering if the Spirit stays on same time the whole trip or if they have you adjust your clocks at all? I know there are some slight differences for the ports and want to be able to make sure we are setting up the correct times for meeting up with our guides.

Thanks for the info!

Did either of you call on Cabo on your Spirit cruises? If you know - I'd appreciate knowing what time they say you were to arrive (7am, 8am?) and when passengers without ship excursions got on tenders. What time did people start to line up for tender tickets? I'm trying to estimate what time would be reasonable to book a non-ship excursion.

Also, do you know what night the chef's table was? I guess it would be important to know what itinerary you had since the Spirit does some different things.

Thanks!

These people that got their wine confiscated, were die hard RCL cruisers. And, it's surprising how many people had never heard of Cruise Critic. We made it a point to tell people to come here for the latest up-to-date info on anything to do with cruising--no matter what line they choose to cruise on.

Well, the die hard RCL cruisers should be used to getting wine confiscated. The RCL official policy is no beverages to be brought onboard, including soda and water. The soda and water part changes back and forth but wine and alcohol has been not allowed for about 4 years. Heck, if your TA has wine delivered to your room and you want it in the dining room, they even charge the corkage fee on that wine purchased from them.

CCL and the other lines have much better wine policies.

Excuse me :eek:! How do you know they were die-hard RCL cruisers? I sail on both lines and like many cruisers, we look at the rules before we leave and if we decide to take our changes and get caught than we live with the consenquences. I have read more posts from loyal Carnival cheerleaders that get mad when liquor is confiscated then from any other cruiseline. And they are the ones who plan on jumping lines.

Excuse me :eek:! How do you know they were die-hard RCL cruisers? I sail on both lines and like many cruisers, we look at the rules before we leave and if we decide to take our changes and get caught than we live with the consenquences. I have read more posts from loyal Carnival cheerleaders that get mad when liquor is confiscated then from any other cruiseline. And they are the ones who plan on jumping lines.

My guess would be it came up in the conversation. :rolleyes:

Relax Francis. :cool:

Well Missy or Mister, were you sitting in the hot tub listening to the conversation? ASS-U-ME too much. Our liquor wasn't confiscated, theirs got confiscated. They ASS-U-MEd that the 2 bottles of allotted wine was in the legal boundaries of Carnival's rules. However, their mistake was checking it in and not physically bringing it on board with their carry on's. Wegot lucky with the 2 bottles DH purchased, was refunded the money, but got the 2 bottles on the last day. Nice gift from Carnival--guess we'll go that route the next time.

I also want to add, if you plan on going on a back-to-back, Carnival gave us a bottle of champagne and a basket of fruit and nuts. :rolleyes: DH drank the champagne, and we gave the fruit basket away to some people we met on the cruise.

Also, be sure to go to the past guest party, we didn't drink any of our smuggled booze on that day. The party starts at 4:00 and lasts 45 minutes. All of our smuggled booze lasted till the last day of the cruise. DH bought a round of drinks for some people we met, and that was the extent of our bill on our SS.

In Acapulco, we didn't go outside the compound. People were drinking and shopping right there. Carnival emphasized the danger in going off by yourself in Acapulco. Cabo was different and a much safer environment. DH liked Manzanillo the best of the 8-day cruise.

I will say, the first day of the 5-day cruise there was a brawl, and we heard that they were put off the ship in Cabo. Maybe someone can elaborate more on this. I was listening to a woman talk to Security about it as she was there helping with one of the injured.

there is only one main dinning room on the spirit, the empire room.

Yes, Anytime Dining is on the second floor.

Regarding the ship time vs local time question, the Spirit does change their clocks by one hour, but if you are on the Acapulco itinerary, then add one more hour. Acapulco is 2 hours ahead of PST.

Thanks for the info!

Also, do you know what night the chef's table was? I guess it would be important to know what itinerary you had since the Spirit does some different things.

Thanks!

We did the chef table and it was AMAZING!!! It was the second full day at sea on the third night. Very worth the $ for the galley tour, champagne, endless both red & white wine:D, cookbook, much wonderful food and time with the "chef".

Where was the location of the Chef's Table ? What time did you meet ? ? How were the beef dishes in the MDR ? ? ?

Chef's Table was at 6:15pm the third night of the cruise, second full sea day, in the disco. They had a huge table set up on the disco floor and it was so cool.

I thought the beef dishes in the MDR were great. Quite honestly we felt all the food on this cruise was really great with the exception of the eggs benedict and the scrampled eggs in the buffet which was horrible. I didn't care for the supper club escargot, I've been to paris and it was very traditional french way to prepare it. I did love the escargot on the second formal night which was very american, covered in garlic and butter:rolleyes:

Archived