Which dinner seating best for teens?

juneagain

My kids and I (ages 22, 21, 15, 14) will be taking our first ever cruise on Explorer of the Seas June 9, 2011. I have read conflicting opinions on dining options.

I want all of us to have dinner together nightly and for all of us to do shore excursions together. Other than that, I hope my kids, especially the 14 and 15 year olds, both boys, will make friends and have plenty of things to do with them. I really hope they are busy and have the time of their lives!

Currently, I am signed up for My Time Dining, but I worry about not having the traditional cruise experience on our first cruise, same waitstaff, tablemates, waiter productions, etc, and I'm concerned that being a party of 5 we might have waits each night with MTD.

If I change to traditional, are they both timed to accommodate teen activities? I would prefer later seating over earlier because my kids all tend to sleep in. It would not be unusual for them on vacation to get up after noon and be eating lunch at 3:00 pm.

But, if the earlier seating would be better for the teens to take advantage of special teen activities, then I want to book the earlier and the kids will adjust.

Can anyone help me decide? Thanks.

I think almost every one will say early seating but we prefer late. There is no way we can all be ready for early seating. We tend to stay outside late into the day and it would be too much of a rush. We are almost past the teen activities but my kids have had no trouble participating. Since your kids are older, they won't miss out on much at all. There will be other teens with late seating as well.

My kids sleep in and eat a late breakfast and a late lunch so late dinner works for us.

Regarding my time dining, my kids definitely prefer the traditional seating. They love forming a relationship with the waiter. In fact, it is one of their favorite things about cruising. In all fairness, we haven't tried MTD so it might be the same experience.

We do exactly as you suggest. Dinner as a family every night and we stay together when on shore.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

We have always had second seating. Early seating for us would be very rushed to get to and cut our day short with less time to relax, especially on port days. At your kids ages, there arent any structured teen activities anyway. They will congregate at the teen club....they will meet up on the sports deck....they find eachother and they plan..At those ages we let out kids leave dinner before dessert to meet up with their friends. It worked for us and still does. Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks,

That's 2 votes for second seating. I'm glad to hear that they won't miss out on much. They are already rolling their eyes at me when I mention teen activities. As long as they find other kids to be with, they'll be happy -- I'll be happy.

Just to throw out another opinion: We did MTD on Freedom last year BUT we asked to have the same wait staff each night. We had to wait about 10 minutes a couple of times but that was no big deal. We ate normally between 7-7:30 (called ahead from the cabin when we were showering to set the time). So we got the benefit of traditional dining with the waitstaff but felt like Goldilocks since we didn't eat too early or too late! :D I don't know that this is always possible or if we just got lucky though...

Just to throw out another opinion: We did MTD on Freedom last year BUT we asked to have the same wait staff each night. We had to wait about 10 minutes a couple of times but that was no big deal. We ate normally between 7-7:30 (called ahead from the cabin when we were showering to set the time). So we got the benefit of traditional dining with the waitstaff but felt like Goldilocks since we didn't eat too early or too late! :D I don't know that this is always possible or if we just got lucky though...

Thanks, Lisa. How many were in your party? I'm a bit nervous about waiting since we are a party of 5.

What time do you normally eat at home? I don't mind early seating, but I normally eat around 5-6 ... waiting until 8:30 can cause problems.

At home, we eat around 7:00, but at home, we're not worried about missing out on teen activities nor rushing to dinner after a day at port!

You have gorgeous photos, by the way. Thanks for sharing them.

We love 2nd seating BUT on a Carnival cruise all the teen activities were timed for early seating so we actually didn't see our 13 year old much for dinner (it worked out well for everyone) - we also are a party of 5 and were seated at a 10 top with another family of 5 with teens and it was fabulous! My teens have not usually been interested in the teen activities but now that they are getting older they like a balance of family/new friends time so we are actually going early seating for our upcoming Allure cruise. Partly because we are traveling with my in-laws who want early and because of our experience with the activities on Carnival and we want all 3 teens (13, 15 and 18) to eat with us every night since this trip is a gift from my inlaws. :)

I think no matter what you do it will work out but I do think many teen activities start in the middle of late seating and you'll have teens itching to leave the table. MTD may be the way to go actually since you can adjust the times if needed especially if you can still request the same waiters.

Have a great time!

We love 2nd seating BUT on a Carnival cruise all the teen activities were timed for early seating so we actually didn't see our 13 year old much for dinner (it worked out well for everyone) - we also are a party of 5 and were seated at a 10 top with another family of 5 with teens and it was fabulous! My teens have not usually been interested in the teen activities but now that they are getting older they like a balance of family/new friends time so we are actually going early seating for our upcoming Allure cruise. Partly because we are traveling with my in-laws who want early and because of our experience with the activities on Carnival and we want all 3 teens (13, 15 and 18) to eat with us every night since this trip is a gift from my inlaws. :)

I think no matter what you do it will work out but I do think many teen activities start in the middle of late seating and you'll have teens itching to leave the table. MTD may be the way to go actually since you can adjust the times if needed especially if you can still request the same waiters.

Have a great time!

Thanks, this is exactly the type of feedback I am looking to read. There are personal pros and cons to each, but it helps to hear others' actual experiences and what worked for their families. Thanks again.

Archived