Anyone here actually been able to take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee?

Hi everyone, I've been following along with great interest and out of curiosity I just did a live chat with a representative of the C&A society.

I asked specifically about booking a cruise on Sunday and then noticing the same cruise included in the Tuesday Sales Event and if I would be eligible for the Best Price Guarantee.

Here is the chat transcript...

I was really interested in finding out and hoped that the C&A rep would have said that it was allowed. Please don't think I was trying to prove you wrong i guide the sky because I really was hoping it was possible.

What I wonder is if it is possible for a cruise to be included in the Tuesday Sales Event but ALSO be a red hot deal? I have no idea if this would ever happen but wouldn't it explain how i guide the sky was able to receive the price reduction under the BPG?

Anyways, thanks for all your contributions everyone.

Scott, this is definitely possible. I've called about pricing in the past and been told to wait a minute while she looks up other pricing options. When one shows up at the RCI website, it's very possible that other pricing options are available, be it senior or resident. And the other options could be at the same price or at least better than the standard price. They will allow the booking at the best price you qualify for even if it's not showing at the website.

I think we've all noticed different price options for different categories on the same cruise. So depending on the category, one may be a Tuesday special but a different cabin may be a Hot deal.

Gina

Scott, this is definitely possible. I've called about pricing in the past and been told to wait a minute while she looks up other pricing options. When one shows up at the RCI website, it's very possible that other pricing options are available, be it senior or resident. And the other options could be at the same price or at least better than the standard price. They will allow the booking at the best price you qualify for even if it's not showing at the website.

I think we've all noticed different price options for different categories on the same cruise. So depending on the category, one may be a Tuesday special but a different cabin may be a Hot deal.

Gina

Yes it's possible, for ex. Navigator 12/9/2010 is listed on both. But when you click on the hot deal, pricing comes up listed as 'Sales Event'. So I don't think it would be honored, as Sales Event is for new bookings only.

I was really interested in finding out and hoped that the C&A rep would have said that it was allowed. Please don't think I was trying to prove you wrong i guide the sky because I really was hoping it was possible.

What I wonder is if it is possible for a cruise to be included in the Tuesday Sales Event but ALSO be a red hot deal? I have no idea if this would ever happen but wouldn't it explain how i guide the sky was able to receive the price reduction under the BPG?

Anyways, thanks for all your contributions everyone.

thanks Scott for taking the time to do the chat and post it, I had a definite feeling that not allowing it was going to be the case. Before you posted it, I also sent an email to C & A asking for clarification. As soon as I get an answer I will let you all know whether it was the same answer.lol

I am booked on Oasis in a balcony. After final payment was due, I saw a sale with prices for a JS lower than what we paid for the balcony. Through our TA, we tried to switch to the JS - which is supposed to be possible under the new price program.

Our TA was told that we were not eligible for a switch because it was a Tuesday special. When I saw the same price offered on Wednesday - described as a past guest promotion or as a hot deal at different tmes - I read the conditions and saw that all were restricted to new reservations only, which is specifically excluded under the best price guarantee.

So I became curious - what fares ARE eligible for the best price guarantee? RCCLs website says that most rate types will qualify, "with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail." I have checked a number of sailings since, and have yet to find a single rate type that qualifies under the program. Even Royal's Standard Rate category says it is restricted to new reservations only!

I have no doubt that RCCL has applied the guarantee in cases where they didn't have to, but I would not count on it. And I would be really interested in finding a rate category that is definitely eligible for the guarantee. Surely there is at least one?;)

I am booked on Oasis in a balcony. After final payment was due, I saw a sale with prices for a JS lower than what we paid for the balcony. Through our TA, we tried to switch to the JS - which is supposed to be possible under the new price program.

Our TA was told that we were not eligible for a switch because it was a Tuesday special. When I saw the same price offered on Wednesday - described as a past guest promotion or as a hot deal at different tmes - I read the conditions and saw that all were restricted to new reservations only, which is specifically excluded under the best price guarantee.

So I became curious - what fares ARE eligible for the best price guarantee? RCCLs website says that most rate types will qualify, "with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail." I have checked a number of sailings since, and have yet to find a single rate type that qualifies under the program. Even Royal's Standard Rate category says it is restricted to new reservations only!

I have no doubt that RCCL has applied the guarantee in cases where they didn't have to, but I would not count on it. And I would be really interested in finding a rate category that is definitely eligible for the guarantee. Surely there is at least one?;)

You should have pursued it again on the Wednesday since while those say the new booking thing, that don't enforce it on the resident, senior or military, if it said "sales event" then those are for new bookings only.. I know it is very confusing but that is just how it has been for several years now. I

You should have pursued it again on the Wednesday since while those say the new booking thing, that don't enforce it on the resident, senior or military, if it said "sales event" then those are for new bookings only.. I know it is very confusing but that is just how it has been for several years now. I

Thanks, Sue. If it had just been the one cabin, I would have pursued it. But we have two, one booked through our TA, and the other through the poker group for this sailing (free cruise - yay!). We like our cabin locations - adjacent on a hump. To move, we need to find two cabins that work. And based on an earlier change (moving the group cabin when we booked the other one) trying to coordinate the two areas is a challenge at the best of times. Trying to do it when the rules are unclear and interpretation may depend on who you are talking to at the time - we just decided to leave well enough alone.

Partly because we are booked through two channels, we have had a series of minor problems with this booking. All of this, but especially the new price guarantee program, will influence our next cruise booking. We have let RCCL know about our concerns. And I am interested in how the guarantee has been applied in other cases.

thanks Scott for taking the time to do the chat and post it, I had a definite feeling that not allowing it was going to be the case. Before you posted it, I also sent an email to C & A asking for clarification. As soon as I get an answer I will let you all know whether it was the same answer.lol

Sue, did they ever give you an official answer?

Archived