Anyone here actually been able to take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee?

I have seen posts about not being able to pay for an upgrade that was listed as a Tuesday special. Their rules are many and subject to interpretation so it is no wonder no one seems to have a full grasp of these 'rules'. And I use that term loosely :rolleyes:

I have seen these posts in the past, too. That is why I was so surprised that at least 2 on our roll call last week were able to pay a very small difference over what they paid for their GS to move to an OS at the Tuesday special price. "Royal Caribbean Sales Event" as it was called.

Gina

I was planning on booking a balcony for my 2012 TA cruise, but have also decided that I will book my usual inside cabin and if the balcony rate drops, I'll upgrade.

But you will have to drop one of those cabins right before final payment is due. Which one will you drop? In order to upgrade after final payment you will have to drop the balcony. I guess you can check availability right at final payment and use your best judgment. If there are no balconies left, keep the one you booked for a special treat.

Gina

But you will have to drop one of those cabins right before final payment is due. Which one will you drop? In order to upgrade after final payment you will have to drop the balcony. I guess you can check availability right at final payment and use your best judgment. If there are no balconies left, keep the one you booked for a special treat.

Gina

I'm only booking an Inside. I was planning to book a balcony when the cruise opens for bookings, but with the new policy I decided I'd rather spend less on a cabin and if the balcony rates drop I'll then go for the upgrade.

I'm only booking an Inside. I was planning to book a balcony when the cruise opens for bookings, but with the new policy I decided I'd rather spend less on a cabin and if the balcony rates drop I'll then go for the upgrade.

Oh...I understand now. I thought you were planning to double book which I know some people do in certain cases which works to their advantage.

It seems the wise thing to do now, book the lowest category you can live with. Although in some cases a balcony is cheaper than an OV once the C&A balcony discount is added on.

Gina

Oh...I understand now. I thought you were planning to double book which I know some people do in certain cases which works to their advantage.

It seems the wise thing to do now, book the lowest category you can live with. Although in some cases a balcony is cheaper than an OV once the C&A balcony discount is added on.

Gina

Ok, so suppose I book an inside (no Diamond discount) and then later the balcony comes down to the same or similar price and I upgrade to the balcony. At that time, would I be able to take advantage of the $100/pp Diamond discount, and shave even more off the price? If so, how would that be credited - money back or OBC?

Ok, so suppose I book an inside (no Diamond discount) and then later the balcony comes down to the same or similar price and I upgrade to the balcony. At that time, would I be able to take advantage of the $100/pp Diamond discount, and shave even more off the price? If so, how would that be credited - money back or OBC?

If you book an Inside (from home) and then upgrade to a balcony, you will get the Diamond Balcony Discount and your cruise fare will be adjusted to reflect the discount.

Here is a breakdown of balcony discounts for D Members.........

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$325* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$325* for sailings of 15+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from each dollar amount.

If you make the upgrade after final payment is due, yes you can apply the C&A balcony discount. But if the discount brings it below the price you paid for your inside cabin you will not get money back or OBC since final payment has been made. IF you have to pay for the upgrade, you will pay the price that includes the balcony discount so you may end up paying a very small price. That is why the balcony discount makes it so much more affordable to upgrade for some people.

Edited to say - or who knows, maybe that's another unclear rule. :rolleyes: Since the balcony discount can be applied at any time up until sailing - let's face it, some people just forget to call and have it done earlier - maybe they will credit it back to you in some way. That's an interesting dilemma.

Gina

Thanks for bringing this up! I'll be diamond after my February cruise (IF they don't change the rules...:rolleyes:) so even better if I can upgrade and get some OBC). But, like Gina said, who knows how they would handle this scenario.

I received this responce from RCCL via Email to the Question, If I book a cruise on Sunday then on Tuesday a special red hot deal comes out, can i still get the 48 hour guarantee?

Dear Devin:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Royal Caribbean International offers many kinds of promotions. Some may apply to any booking, while others have limitations. Examples of limitations include residential promotions where at least one guest must be a resident of a particular state or province, and "new booking only" promotions, which will only apply to new reservations created at the time of the promotion.

If a "special red hot deal" occurs within 48 hours of your original booking, and your existing booking would be eligible for the promotion, and you submit the Best Price Guarantee form within that 48 hours, then yes, you would be eligible for the 110% onboard credit under the terms of the BPG Best Price Guarantee Program.

Please note: If any promotion for which your booking is eligible occurs before your final payment date, you also have the option of simply switching to the lower cruise fare. In these instances, it is not necessary to submit a Best Price Guarantee form.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International, Devin. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Kristian Leighty

Customer Service Representative

I received this responce from RCCL via Email to the Question, If I book a cruise on Sunday then on Tuesday a special red hot deal comes out, can i still get the 48 hour guarantee?

I don't believe a Red Hot Deal is the same as a Royal Caribbean Sales Event. It's the Sales Event that is for new bookings only. Maybe you should reword your question to them and see what happens. It would be nice to know for sure.

Gina

I think your lack of specific wording, ie 'red hot deal' (meaning a really good deal?) allowed her to give you a non-answer. She says, and if "... your existing booking would be eligible for the promotion,..." This is too vague of an answer.

She doesn't specify sales event or Tuesday sale, but does say it excludes 'new booking only promotions', which they are.

I did notice you said Tuesday deal. But she said red hot deal which to me seemed that she didn't understand the question. Your question was fine but she avoided the real answer. Or maybe her wording was off but she meant yes to your question. :confused: LOL

Gina

They are really taking away all the fun of booking a cruise....for most it is now a very stressful thing....and those numbers above give the reason why....with drops like that forget losing $100's....you are now at risk of losing thousands in just days:eek:....that's just so wrong in so many ways:rolleyes:

We all said that very same thing when RC announced that they would no longer allow TA's to discount and that all pricing would be the same.

That's when TA's started to game the system with gifts and OBC.

There is no pleasing you guys!

A red hot deal is another type of promotion that RCCL runs and are not limited to new bookings only, so in my opinion you did not ask the correct question. We are all talking about the Tuesday Sales Events which are for new bookings only. You can have the "red hot deals" any day of the week and yes they will be honored since there are no restrictions on them like the "Sales Events" .

Hi everyone, I've been following along with great interest and out of curiosity I just did a live chat with a representative of the C&A society.

I asked specifically about booking a cruise on Sunday and then noticing the same cruise included in the Tuesday Sales Event and if I would be eligible for the Best Price Guarantee.

Here is the chat transcript...

KristenRCCL: [21:30] Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

[21:31] Thank you for contacting us. What can I assist you with today?

Scott: [21:31] Good evening, I have a question regarding the Best Price Guarantee that I wonder if you might be able to help me with?

KristenRCCL: [21:31] What is your question?

Scott: [21:32] I almost booked a cruise on Sunday but I held off and noticed today that it is included in the Tuesday sales event

[21:33] If I had booked the cruise, would I have been eligible for the best Price Guarantee?

KristenRCCL: [21:35] No, because the Tuesday Sales event is for New bookings only. If you had booked Sunday, we would not have been able to give you the best price guarantee.

I was really interested in finding out and hoped that the C&A rep would have said that it was allowed. Please don't think I was trying to prove you wrong i guide the sky because I really was hoping it was possible.

What I wonder is if it is possible for a cruise to be included in the Tuesday Sales Event but ALSO be a red hot deal? I have no idea if this would ever happen but wouldn't it explain how i guide the sky was able to receive the price reduction under the BPG?

Anyways, thanks for all your contributions everyone.

It is truly amazing that Royal Caribbean has put forth changes in policy that are so unclear that customers, travel agents and it's own employees have no idea how the new rules are REALLY applied. Unbelievable.

RCL's stock price has jumped 94% within the year since it's low's in the $5+ range and one has to wonder if, considering it's inept management it may be ready for another fall. The Tuesday specials coming out tomorrow for cruises sailing within the month have fares as low as @ $40 - $50 per day!! Unbelievable! And some of the Freedom and Liberty prices, very low.

Great time to cruise, as long as you wait to book last minute to get the real value. With the price rule change I feel sorry for those who will pay hundreds and maybe a thousand dollars or more for their cabins as punishment for booking too early.

OK fine ill ask the question again. But I'm telling you its good.

I think we are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about a 'red hot deal' (actually called 'Hot Deals', available for various sailings, on the website, under "Deals and Gifts") and we are talking about the Tuesday Sales Event, which is:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/RCI_Sales_Event/rci_sales_event.pdf

These are two different things.

The sales event, which happens every Tuesday for everyone, is for heavily discounted cabins that are essentially left over after final payment is due. The 'Hot Deals' contains a mix of discounted cabins, some within and some outside of final payment.

The difference is, Royal has typically been very careful about keeping the Tuesday Sales Event as "New Bookings Only". They don't adjust prices for prior bookings and don't let you upgrade (although people have posted lately that they have been upgraded on Tuesday Sales Events so maybe it is a glitch or maybe upgrading policy has changed).

If you are saying you got the price guarantee for a "Hot Deal" then I am sure it is the case. I don't think you got it for the Tuesday Sales Event. Or maybe you did and it was a mistake.

Archived