What's the current "earliest safe time to fly out of FLL" wisdom?

Nitemare

Haven't done Princess out of Port Everglades in 5 years, but cruising on Ruby in January. Haven't booked our flights yet, as we were SURE JetBlue would drop fares (the planes are nearly empty, yet the price keeps going up!). Saw a decent fare on Delta today (change in Atlanta, but what the heck), but it's a 10AM departure.

We'll definitely be able to self-disembark, not bringing big/heavy bags, and we are "able-bodied".

Also not planning to buy insurance for the air portion of our trip.

Is 10AM safe based on recent experience?

Thanks!

IMHO, 10am is a gamble but others will tell you they've made a 10am flight many times. For me, "safe" means after 11am. Before then, it would be likely but not safe. Particularly in FLL during tourist season, when it's a lot more crowded and all lines at the airport a lot longer. If it's any time near the Pro or Super Bowl, I definitely wouldn't do a 10am flight. I'm not sure when or where those will be this year. Earlier this year, they were in So Fla and everything was packed in the area.

IMHO, 10am is a gamble but others will tell you they've made a 10am flight many times. For me, "safe" means after 11am. Before then, it would be likely but not safe. Particularly in FLL during tourist season, when it's a lot more crowded and all lines at the airport a lot longer. If it's any time near the Pro or Super Bowl, I definitely wouldn't do a 10am flight. I'm not sure when or where those will be this year.

Pam! Thanks for the quick reply. Long time since I've been on the boards. Darn that Delta, though. Every other one of their flights is double the price or worse!

We've done the FLL shuffle twice before, and yeah, made it easily before 10, but we're very nervous about such things, so I think we'll pass on these flights.

Thanks!

Haven't done Princess out of Port Everglades in 5 years, but cruising on Ruby in January. Haven't booked our flights yet, as we were SURE JetBlue would drop fares (the planes are nearly empty, yet the price keeps going up!). Saw a decent fare on Delta today (change in Atlanta, but what the heck), but it's a 10AM departure.

We'll definitely be able to self-disembark, not bringing big/heavy bags, and we are "able-bodied".

Thanks!

Just did a 9:30 flight on Southwest, although its early we did the self disembarkation and were off the ship at 7:00 am and at the gate by 7:30.

Try and have a backup plan but I think you will be fine. :)

It does not matter how many ships are in port as you will be off so early.

Having just done this last month at FLL, it would be a ''crap shoot'' trying to make a flight earlier than 11:00 AM. Murphy's Law seems to happen at the worst possible time.

Others may disagree and that's fine. As for us, enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee at the ariport beats the heck out of a stress fillled morning trying to make a flight....IMHO

Pam! Thanks for the quick reply. Long time since I've been on the boards. Darn that Delta, though. Every other one of their flights is double the price or worse!
Check the cost and flight times leaving out of MIA. The Princess transfer is only $19 and they often have a choice of flights to Logan. It's worth checking if you're uncomfortable with the 10am flight.

checking MIA now. Looks like we'll go down on one carrier (still to be determined) and back on another.

I shall report back, THANKS!

Edit: That was quick (thanks, ITA Software Matrix)! Delta at 11:30AM out of Miami is the only affordable option. Any idea how early the first Princess transfer to MIA is?

Thanks very much for all the help!

Thanks!

We did an 8:50 am yesterday with no problems, also did the same one in Sept.........that doesn't mean that it will always work but it will if all goes well...........as far as the 10 am goes i would never hesitate to do that one.

We did an 8:50 am yesterday with no problems, also did the same one in Sept.........that doesn't mean that it will always work but it will if all goes well...........as far as the 10 am goes i would never hesitate to do that one.
October and early November is not prime tourist season in south FL, while it's still hurricane season; one of the strongest hurricanes on record went through south FL the end of October 2005, shortly after Katrina (but which the media pretty much ignored); huge difference between flying now and January. I wouldn't hesitate with a 10am flight today, but would have second thoughts about it in January.

checking MIA now. Looks like we'll go down on one carrier (still to be determined) and back on another.

I shall report back, THANKS!

Edit: That was quick (thanks, ITA Software Matrix)! Delta at 11:30AM out of Miami is the only affordable option. Any idea how early the first Princess transfer to MIA is?

Thanks very much for all the help!

We just did this trip and thought I might add my 2 cents. I had the same problem finding a reasonably priced and/or timed flight out of FLL. Quite by happenstance, I found a direct flight on American from BOS to MIA that worked very well for us. Our departure time on our return leg was 12:10 (which got us home just in time to catch the 4:30 Pat's game ;) ). We did the Princess transfer and it worked very well. We departed the ship at 8:30, were on the bus by 9:00; the trip to MIA was 35 minutes on the nose; we were through security and at our gate shortly after 10:00. They told us that the 12:00 flights out of MIA were the earliest they recommended, but we got there in plenty of time.

Don't know if that helps. But, I have to say, previously we've always flown in and out of FLL (with connections), but for the $19.00 I'd do the 35 minute bus ride to MIA for that direct flight again in a heartbeat (assuming the price was as low as it was this time.)

Good luck!

We just did this trip and thought I might add my 2 cents. I had the same problem finding a reasonably priced and/or timed flight out of FLL. Quite by happenstance, I found a direct flight on American from BOS to MIA that worked very well for us. Our departure time on our return leg was 12:10 (which got us home just in time to catch the 4:30 Pat's game ;) ). We did the Princess transfer and it worked very well. We departed the ship at 8:30, were on the bus by 9:00; the trip to MIA was 35 minutes on the nose; we were through security and at our gate shortly after 10:00. They told us that the 12:00 flights out of MIA were the earliest they recommended, but we got there in plenty of time.

Don't know if that helps. But, I have to say, previously we've always flown in and out of FLL (with connections), but for the $19.00 I'd do the 35 minute bus ride to MIA for that direct flight again in a heartbeat (assuming the price was as low as it was this time.)

Good luck!

Good input. I agree entirely. When we cruise out of FLL, we fly in/out of MIA because FLL doesn't have direct flights to LAX. Yes, MIA is a huge airport and a PITA to fly out of, but for a direct flight, it's definitely worth the hassle. When I lived in the Boston area (for 35 years), I flew in and out of FLL many, many times for both cruises and vacations. Many times, because I couldn't find a direct flight anyway, I flew out of/into MHT because of convenience to the North Shore and inexpensive parking.

October and early November is not prime tourist season in south FL, while it's still hurricane season; one of the strongest hurricanes on record went through south FL the end of October 2005, shortly after Katrina (but which the media pretty much ignored); huge difference between flying now and January. I wouldn't hesitate with a 10am flight today, but would have second thoughts about it in January.

Pam when you are the first group off the ship at 6:55 am it really does not matter what season it is or how many ships are in port as you would be among the first people at the airport. IMO of course. ;)

Remember ... Allure of the Seas starts cruising on Sundays out of FLL. That is going to add a HUGE number of passengers to the FLL airport on turn around day. We're cruising the Ruby in December, and I ended up changing my 11:30 a.m. flight to one that leaves closer to 1:00 p.m.

It may be fine ... but then maybe not. Maybe someone who has come off a Princess ship on the same day as Oasis can give a better picture of the situation. I'm kind of dreading FLL in December ... will be able to tell you in 5 weeks!

Pam when you are the first group off the ship at 6:55 am it really does not matter what season it is or how many ships are in port as you would be among the first people at the airport. IMO of course. ;)
True. However, you will never find me schlepping my luggage off the ship and struggling with it on an escalator. :) Now, if someone offered to carry it all for me, I'd reconsider. But since I'm responsible for myself and carrying my luggage, I'll use the "regular" disembarkation. :)

True. However, you will never find me schlepping my luggage off the ship and struggling with it on an escalator. :) Now, if someone offered to carry it all for me, I'd reconsider. But since I'm responsible for myself and carrying my luggage, I'll use the "regular" disembarkation. :)

Well thats the point for some they have to book an earlier flight because it may be the only option $$$ wise and time wise. I don't think anyone wants to put themselves in a position to possibly miss a flight home and have to spend a night.

It works for some and not for others. :)

We just got off the Ruby today and had a 10:16am JetBlue flight out of Fort Lauderdale. Everything went well and we were off the ship by 7:30am and at the airport with time to spare. But, as mentioned previously, January may be a different story. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Well thats the point for some they have to book an earlier flight because it may be the only option $$$ wise and time wise. I don't think anyone wants to put themselves in a position to possibly miss a flight home and have to spend a night.

It works for some and not for others. :)

I agree. :) That's why I book a later flight. I don't like to rush and I'm not much of a gambler.

After our Crown cruise in September, we had a choice of a 10:30am flight out of JFK or a 6pm flight (using miles.) We chose the 6pm flight and took an all-day tour in NYC. To each his/her own. :) Glad we have choices.

When you've had a close call or experienced missing your flight due to a late-arriving ship, you're probably less likely to take a chance by booking an early flight. While this never happened to DH and I, some years ago we witnessed numerous passengers having conniptions because our arrival in Miami was delayed a couple of hours due to heavy fog. Our flight was after noon, so we were able to make it to the airport with a little time to spare, but anyone with an earlier flight was SOL. Just seeing the angst and frustration of our fellow passengers was enough to convince us that it's better to arrive at the airport early and wait a while instead of fretting about getting there on time or missing your flight. Same thing is true on the front end of a cruise when it's best to arrive in your port city the day prior to sailing.

Safe and happy travels!

Chris

Pam if you buy my cruise I would be happy to schlepp your luggage off the ship...:D Or anywhere else for that matter.... :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. AA out of MIA is wicked expensive.

The funny thing is, JetBlue out of FLL -- the planes are still 80% empty (or more!) yet they keep raising the prices. I know, with JB I can book and if they lower the price we get a credit, but we don't see any chance of using that credit in the next 12 months, so it doesn't help. I think we'll see if they drop prices when we hit 60 days from flight date, and if they don't, just grin and bear the crazy price and consider it an offset for a good price on the Ruby.

I agree with this....we carry off our bags in the first group, grab a cab and we don't have to go to the ticket counter as we do carry ons and print our boarding passes on the ship....we were 2nd and 3rd persons to leave the ship.....we have done this cruise 7 times in the last 12 months and have not had a problem.....could we miss it? of course, but the only time we have missed a flight in 112 cruises was when the ship had problems getting back in to LA , missed that flight and it was a 4:00 pm flight....

Archived