How Early Can You Disembark from the Gem in NY after the Florida/Bahamas Cruise?

Sail Girl

I know the Gem is scheduled to arrive at the pier in NYC at 9 am when she returns from her Florida/Bahamas cruises.

My question is: how soon can we disembark if we take our luggage with us?

Need to know to let our ride know when to pick us up.

Usually, I like to linger when disembarking, but can't this time - darn!

Thanks for your help!

So if we unfortunately need to get off the Gem asap - are we better doing the self-disembarkation (yeah, slaughterhouse!) or taking one of the earlier color groups? Which will get us off earlier with less stress?

Self disembakation gets you off the ship the earliest. The lines will be pretty much continuous until everyone is off the ship.

Our experience getting off the Gem :

Were in line about 2 hours :eek: before said docking time. We were about the 50th persons to get out. Gangway, custom, elevator to car = we were in the car about 35 minutes later than the arrival time.

BUT :mad: a lot of people mad and yelling on board before getting out, the line was around the ship 2 times.

Crazy stuff.

The pro's : we were standing in line in the photo shop and had plenty of time to choose and bargain our pics :p

Our experience getting off the Gem :

Were in line about 2 hours :eek: before said docking time. We were about the 50th persons to get out. Gangway, custom, elevator to car = we were in the car about 35 minutes later than the arrival time.

BUT :mad: a lot of people mad and yelling on board before getting out, the line was around the ship 2 times.

Crazy stuff.

The pro's : we were standing in line in the photo shop and had plenty of time to choose and bargain our pics :p

2 hours? Sounds horrible. As much as we need to get off quickly to get my son back to school, I think I'd rather sit back and let everyone else fight it out. Doesn't sound like a fun way to end a relaxing vacation.

Be in the lobby right after the ship docks and just be ready to wait in case of customs delays. Some people do get "upset" because they want off the ship immediately, but its really up to customs at that point, not the NCL staff. This will definitely get you off faster than the color disembarkation groups.

I can't seem to find it, but I posted a review this morning (Jewel), with a lengthy version of getting off the ship in NYC, and the nightmare it is. We docked at 8, got our luggage to deck 7 by 8:15, and were through customs by 10:35, after being led in a crazy line around the ship, trapped outside in the freezing cold for 45 minutes, and being among a sea of angry passengers ready to mutiny (my dd14 needed to be at church by 11:30 for her Confirmation - no way I'd do that again). I'm glad I encouraged my kids to use the bathroom before we left the cabin - it's your last chance.

Be in the lobby right after the ship docks and just be ready to wait in case of customs delays. Some people do get "upset" because they want off the ship immediately, but its really up to customs at that point, not the NCL staff. This will definitely get you off faster than the color disembarkation groups.

This wasn't the case yesterday - those taking their luggage off were mixed in with those gathering their luggage at the port. They did feel sorry for us, though.

After a long wait to self-disembark the Jewel caused by Customs delays, we approached the customs line in the terminal and were asked - "US or non-US"? To which we replied "We're Canadian" and she said "Lucky you!" - we zipped through in a separate line, feeling very sorry for the families with small children that had to wait interminably to pass through customs.

So, Canadian by any chance, eh?

After a long wait to self-disembark the Jewel caused by Customs delays, we approached the customs line in the terminal and were asked - "US or non-US"? To which we replied "We're Canadian" and she said "Lucky you!" - we zipped through in a separate line, feeling very sorry for the families with small children that had to wait interminably to pass through customs.

Lol - we were so wishing that we were from another country 2 days ago! You guys just breezed through!

Thanks so much for your replies.

We've decided to have our ride (a car service) meet us at 11:00.

Hope we won't be off later than that, but will chance it.

Last time I disembarked in NYC was in Jan of 2006 and can identify with the poster who had the long wait in the cold. My wait must have been at least 30 minutes (but seemed like hours).There's no shelter after you retreive your luggage, so don't hurry to get on to the pier before you have to.

So..... Are we better off having NCL take our bags the night before we dock in Manhattan (even though we live in PA and could use the walk-off option)? Will we still have to wait in 2+ hour lines, only without our bags. Or do we disembark in a more civilized manner than the cattle-herding I've read about here?:)

So..... Are we better off having NCL take our bags the night before we dock in Manhattan (even though we live in PA and could use the walk-off option)? Will we still have to wait in 2+ hour lines, only without our bags. Or do we disembark in a more civilized manner than the cattle-herding I've read about here?:)

Choose the luggage tag color that corresponds to the latest possible disembarkation time (usually in the 10 - 10:30 range), and put your bags outside your cabin the night before.

On the last morning have a leisurely breakfast, then find a public lounge area on the ship with comfortable chairs, sit down, read a book or listen to an Ipod or other music player, and relax until your luggage tag color is called. When the last tag color is called, the vast majority of the thundering herd will have already been slaughtered and you should be able to make your way off the ship and through customs and immigration with a minimum of delay. Of course if you need to be off the ship early for some reason, this strategy doesn't work.

Not Canadian......but....... the whole family has dual citizenship (and two sets of passports) but me. I can just see them all zipping through the line and leaving me behind. ha. I think I'll stick with the US passports.

Archived