FYI - back from the Jewel (Oct 31-Nov 7)

bobbygirl

This was our 5th cruise with NCL, 2nd time on the Jewel, 2nd time doing the Florida/Bahamas itinerary. I'm not going into a full-blown review, just a few tips and comments about our cruise for those who'd like to be in the know.

1. About the coffee: yes, it's generally lousy throughout the ship (DH swears he's bringing our mini coffee-maker and his Sumatra next time ;)). Even the french press coffee in the Bistro is weak. You have to ask them to leave it sit on the table before they press it. But it is possible to find better coffee is you look carefully at the self-serve machines in the Garden Café. For a stronger cup of java, choose the machines with the double spout. When you press the button, the digital screen will read "Americano". Then you will hear the machine grind the beans, followed by a pause, then the coffee will stream slowly out of the spouts, a good dark brew with foam on top. Approaching espresso, although not as strong. We found two machines, one near the dessert station in the Garden Café, and another behind the wall beside the "Early Risers" station (sandwich station at lunch). The two machines are basically back-to-back.
  2. Food highlights: This is very subjective, but we were impressed by (A) the spicy-crusted sushi-grade raw tuna appetizer in Tango's, (B) the tomato bisque, © the filet mignon in Le Bistro for during the Jazz Brunch (the best all week), (D) the complexity of flavours in the dishes at Chin-Chin, and (E) the German desserts served during the Beerfest in the Great Outdoors - apple strudel and Black Forest Cake (with real cream & Kirsch!).
  3. Drinks: Specials are to be had. Yes, there's the buy 5 get one free beer deal. But for those who care to plan their more sophisticated ;) drinks around the deals, the "Bar Promotions" on page 2 of the Freestyle Daily is a must-read, along with careful scanning of the promo inserts. 2 for 1 martinis at the Star Bar from 5-6 on some days, $4.95 mojitos and margaritas at other bars on some days, happy hours, 20% off one day and of course freebies at the Latitudes party (which sadly, we missed!). So don't toss the FD's without looking for deals on libations!
  4. We splurged on an excursion to the Atlantis waterpark through NCL. It was very well organized by the Atlantis staff, from pickup to transportation back. At $149 pp, it was pricey, but we found it to be worth the money. Of course, we had a good day of it, arriving early and leaving around 3pm (because it started to rain). We definitely made the most of it, rarely out of the water and doing all the rides as many times as we could. Here's a tip for lunch, which is very expensive at the resort. Go to "Shark Bites", where they offer burgers, chicken and other fast food. If you order the "Loaded Nachos" at $9 (credit cards only), there's enough for two people and they're smothered in chili, cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa; buy only one drink (not included in the $9), because they give free refills!
  5. About the shows: don't miss Cirque Bijou or Incanto, and Steven Scott is very funny. As for the Will & Wally act, all I can say is LAME, LAME, LAME... worst show I've seen in 8 cruises.

We had a great time on the Jewel, hope this info will help fellow CCers enjoy their cruise even more.

Those coffee machines that you described can also be programmed to dispense espresso and capuccino, if enabled. The other coffee machines don't grind the beans, but rather use a syrup. Far inferior, IMO.

Both machines are made by the German firm, WMF.

We sailed on the Jewel back in 2006, and we always made a beeline for the coffee machines - my DH for the espresso, and cappuccino for me. I hoped that I could play with the programming a bit to get it to brew something else besides "Americano", even asked one of the food officers if it was possible. Unfortunately, he explained that there was only one setting because espresso and cappuccinos are now charged.

1. Looking for a place to lounge and read inside? Try the Spinnaker lounge, right in the front beside the windows: there's 4 wavy blue chaise longues that easily fit two people.
  2. About the spa: DH & I were keen on getting spa passes (2 for $149), but keener about spending time together. In the spa, this would be difficult, as the only facilities for couples are the heated chairs and one hydrotherapy pool. All the other facilities are either women or men only. Fine if you're with family or a friend or want to spend time alone. But not great for couples. So we decided to make use of the outside jacuzzis and pools after sundown, when the Pool Deck was pretty much deserted.

Lol - my review yesterday included your tip about the coffee, and I loved the tuna at Tango (4 of us ate at Le Bistro, and we used the coupon for Tango). The coffee bar (Java?) also makes a nice cup of coffee (individually made) at very reasonable prices ($1.50 for a medium). We also took advantage of the great drink specials - most restaurants/bars here charge $12 for a martini, so the 2 for 1 special, which came out to less than $5 a martini, can't be beat.

Just wanted to add the note that Java Cafe serves all kinds of coffees, cappuccinos, etc. There is a charge, but if you're a coffee snob (as in you've got a favorite and don't want regular coffee anymore:D) it may well be worth it to you.

The Jewel was our 3rd NCL sailing and I have to say a HUGE improvement in the coffee since our Dawn and Spirit sailings. Those cruises they were using folgers in vary large coffee makers and the coffee was horrible with a capital H.

It also seemed the coffee was better in Mamma's too (that's for overflow for breakfast). We were always up early and found the coffee to be pretty good there.

We've all got different taste buds - but it's good to hear everyone's suggestions. Gives you a starting place.

I don't know if was just the sweet taste of convenience, but I actually loved the room-service coffee as my wake-up call each morning on the Spirit. I would get the pot of coffee and the continental b-fast delivered each morning to enjoy with the GF on the balcony (although she often sent me two decks up to Raffles to bring back more fruit, different cereal, etc.).

This was our 5th cruise with NCL, 2nd time on the Jewel, 2nd time doing the Florida/Bahamas itinerary. I'm not going into a full-blown review, just a few tips and comments about our cruise for those who'd like to be in the know.

1. About the coffee: yes, it's generally lousy throughout the ship (DH swears he's bringing our mini coffee-maker and his Sumatra next time ;)). Even the french press coffee in the Bistro is weak. You have to ask them to leave it sit on the table before they press it. But it is possible to find better coffee is you look carefully at the self-serve machines in the Garden Café. For a stronger cup of java, choose the machines with the double spout. When you press the button, the digital screen will read "Americano". Then you will hear the machine grind the beans, followed by a pause, then the coffee will stream slowly out of the spouts, a good dark brew with foam on top. Approaching espresso, although not as strong. We found two machines, one near the dessert station in the Garden Café, and another behind the wall beside the "Early Risers" station (sandwich station at lunch). The two machines are basically back-to-back.
  2. Food highlights: This is very subjective, but we were impressed by (A) the spicy-crusted sushi-grade raw tuna appetizer in Tango's, (B) the tomato bisque, © the filet mignon in Le Bistro for during the Jazz Brunch (the best all week), (D) the complexity of flavours in the dishes at Chin-Chin, and (E) the German desserts served during the Beerfest in the Great Outdoors - apple strudel and Black Forest Cake (with real cream & Kirsch!).
  3. Drinks: Specials are to be had. Yes, there's the buy 5 get one free beer deal. But for those who care to plan their more sophisticated ;) drinks around the deals, the "Bar Promotions" on page 2 of the Freestyle Daily is a must-read, along with careful scanning of the promo inserts. 2 for 1 martinis at the Star Bar from 5-6 on some days, $4.95 mojitos and margaritas at other bars on some days, happy hours, 20% off one day and of course freebies at the Latitudes party (which sadly, we missed!). So don't toss the FD's without looking for deals on libations!
  4. We splurged on an excursion to the Atlantis waterpark through NCL. It was very well organized by the Atlantis staff, from pickup to transportation back. At $149 pp, it was pricey, but we found it to be worth the money. Of course, we had a good day of it, arriving early and leaving around 3pm (because it started to rain). We definitely made the most of it, rarely out of the water and doing all the rides as many times as we could. Here's a tip for lunch, which is very expensive at the resort. Go to "Shark Bites", where they offer burgers, chicken and other fast food. If you order the "Loaded Nachos" at $9 (credit cards only), there's enough for two people and they're smothered in chili, cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa; buy only one drink (not included in the $9), because they give free refills!
  5. About the shows: don't miss Cirque Bijou or Incanto, and Steven Scott is very funny. As for the Will & Wally act, all I can say is LAME, LAME, LAME... worst show I've seen in 8 cruises.

We had a great time on the Jewel, hope this info will help fellow CCers enjoy their cruise even more.

Thanks for hitting the highlights. I have to smile when I read about the coffee. Like you, we think it is awful and yet do you realize, sometimes NCL coffee will get great reviews. Some think it is the best coffee on any line.

Nita

Archived