Taking a jogger stroller on the Carnival cruise

blondi_21

We're going on a cruise with a toddler who will be 16 months time of sail. I hardly ever travel. I've been on a plane once which was a 45 min ride and it was small. My husband has and it was before we got married. This is going to be a family vacation and I want it to be a enjoyable not a hassle. We have two strollers one more of a fancy kind, peg perego skate

3k63m63lc5Y35Z05S0a7u5e0028ed1a651811.jpg

And jeep jogging stroller w/mp3 player

Jeep-Overland-Limited-Jogging_8A164FD2.jpg

My husband said we're definally not taking the peg perego skate cus its really nice and it doesnt have a case so it'll get scratched up. But it would be great but he's already too big for it and we dont use it anymore. The Jeep Stroller we use all the time. My kid loves to be in it. Maybe it's cus of the music or what but he's well behaved in it and its comfortable. I dont want to go out and buy a umbrella stroller just for the cruise I think it's a waste of money. Do you think this stroller will be okay with the plane ride and the cruise? We probly dont be using it much on the ship but with ports we'll definally will.

You will definitely need a stroller...bring what's comfortable for your child. The ship is pretty big...LOTS of walking, and the stroller makes for a nice "nap" spot when you're out and about. You'll use it on the ship more than you think!

We're going on a cruise with a toddler who will be 16 months time of sail. I hardly ever travel. I've been on a plane once which was a 45 min ride and it was small. My husband has and it was before we got married. This is going to be a family vacation and I want it to be a enjoyable not a hassle. We have two strollers one more of a fancy kind, peg perego skate

And jeep jogging stroller w/mp3 player

Jeep-Overland-Limited-Jogging_8A164FD2.jpg

My husband said we're definally not taking the peg perego skate cus its really nice and it doesnt have a case so it'll get scratched up. But it would be great but he's already too big for it and we dont use it anymore. The Jeep Stroller we use all the time. My kid loves to be in it. Maybe it's cus of the music or what but he's well behaved in it and its comfortable. I dont want to go out and buy a umbrella stroller just for the cruise I think it's a waste of money. Do you think this stroller will be okay with the plane ride and the cruise? We probly dont be using it much on the ship but with ports we'll definally will.

The jeep stroller will be fine although you may have difficulty navigating on board the ship. As far as flying, you will have to check it in at the ramp (as you are boarding the plane) in order to be stored in the luggage area. Upon exiting the plane, the stroller should be waiting for you outside the plane.

The jeep stroller will be fine although you may have difficulty navigating on board the ship. As far as flying, you will have to check it in at the ramp (as you are boarding the plane) in order to be stored in the luggage area. Upon exiting the plane, the stroller should be waiting for you outside the plane.

If we check it at the ramp will this be charged as a checked-in luggage? We're flying on a airline that charges for luggage but you're allowed to bring a carry on bag & a personal item like a laptop, for instance.

Measure the widest width -- if it's under 24", you should be ok, if it's more than that, you're going to have issues with blocking hallways and getting through doorways, and you'd probably do better with a narrower stroller.

Look or ask around. You might have a friend that has an umbrella stroller. I still have a couple in my garage and my son is now 6. It seemed like when I would shop at BabiesRUs I would end up with a free one. If not they are $16 at Walmart. Remember storage space is limited in the cabins.

I dont like umbrella strollers. The ones at Walmart are really simple. My SIL has the first year stroller that has some storage and cup holders. It reclines a little bit but not much and it's like $40. But I dont want to buy something that Im just only going to use for the cruise and it wont be uncomfortable anyway.

If we check it at the ramp will this be charged as a checked-in luggage? We're flying on a airline that charges for luggage but you're allowed to bring a carry on bag & a personal item like a laptop, for instance.

You won't be charged, but just be aware that most airlines will not accept any responsibility for damage to a gate checked stroller. They'd have to be checked in the appropriate container at the counter.

Watch baggage handlers throw some of this stuff around, and then make your decision.

I agree that you'll need a stroller, but that is a really BIG stroller. :eek: Consider that you'll be trying to get on crowded elevators, go through narrow doorways, navigate through hallways, shops on land, crowds, etc. Plus, you need to be able to store it in the room. I have a Peg Perego GT3 jogging stroller that is similar in size to yours, and I can't imagine trying to deal with it on a cruise ship.

I agree with the suggestion of borrowing an umbrella stroller from a friend if possible. There are plenty of umbrella strollers that recline almost flat, and are very comfortable for a baby/toddler. Right now, Overstock.com has some fantastic deals on 2009 closeout Cybex Topaz umbrella strollers (around $75-$80, plus you can usually Google for a 10% off coupon code). Cybex is a higher-end European stroller manufacturer, comparable in quality to Peg Perego, Maclaren, etc...so these aren't the usual rickety umbrella strollers that you're used to seeing at Walmart, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree that you'll need a stroller, but that is a really BIG stroller. :eek: Consider that you'll be trying to get on crowded elevators, go through narrow doorways, navigate through hallways, shops on land, crowds, etc. Plus, you need to be able to store it in the room. I have a Peg Perego GT3 jogging stroller that is similar in size to yours, and I can't imagine trying to deal with it on a cruise ship.

I agree with the suggestion of borrowing an umbrella stroller from a friend if possible. There are plenty of umbrella strollers that recline almost flat, and are very comfortable for a baby/toddler. Right now, Overstock.com has some fantastic deals on 2009 closeout Cybex Topaz umbrella strollers (around $75-$80, plus you can usually Google for a 10% off coupon code). Cybex is a higher-end European stroller manufacturer, comparable in quality to Peg Perego, Maclaren, etc...so these aren't the usual rickety umbrella strollers that you're used to seeing at Walmart, etc.

I bought my jogger stroller under $50 used so I dont see a point in buying another one for more or the same amount of money. My toddler loves the stroller. It really comfortable, lots of storage and the most part it has cup holders which I love.

I bought my jogger stroller under $50 used so I dont see a point in buying another one for more or the same amount of money. My toddler loves the stroller. It really comfortable, lots of storage and the most part it has cup holders which I love.

Well, if you're happy with taking a large stroller, and your child is comfortable in it that is all that really matters. Have fun on your cruise. :)

Measure the widest width -- if it's under 24", you should be ok, if it's more than that, you're going to have issues with blocking hallways and getting through doorways, and you'd probably do better with a narrower stroller.

Remember you will need to store it in your cabin. That will take up some space. I like smaller strollers for cruises because I can fold it up and slide it under the bed at night.

Take whatever is comfortable for you and your child. If it is too big to store in the cabin, I have seen others store them right outside the cabin door for the night. We have a peg perego aria and it is great. It reclines, snack tray, fits through all hallways,cabin doors and elevators, it fitsd in the cabin closets folded and only weighs 9#.

Take whatever is comfortable for you and your child. If it is too big to store in the cabin, I have seen others store them right outside the cabin door for the night.

Really BAD advice - consider people in wheelchairs/scooters who need to navegate those halls which are not very wide - especially when the cleaning carts are out. Take whatever you want, but keep it in the cabin.

Really BAD advice - consider people in wheelchairs/scooters who need to navegate those halls which are not very wide - especially when the cleaning carts are out. Take whatever you want, but keep it in the cabin.

Ditto on that!

Hi- Just a quick note. The jogging strollers are more cumbersome on board, however my experience in various ports is that if you like to do a lot of walking the sidewalks are often poor and nearly impossible to go on using an umbrella. A jogging stroller also has the ability to go down trails. While cumbersome, most jogging strollers typically fold down and are still useable, if a tad bulky onboard. For short jaunts around ship, we would just carry our toddler or let her walk. For night time activities and during dinner, we would take the stroller as it can double as a high chair if it has a tray (an umbrella can't) and was great for naps. We have taken trips to Key West, Nassau, Grand Caymen, and Alaska. Alaska would have been nearly intolerable without the jogging stroller.

My youngest is now 6, but when we cruised with the kids when they were 18-months throu 4, we brought an umbrella... BUT it was one of those umbrellas that could recline.

We had a MacLaren brand stroller (actually, one of the ones that was recalled recently... the finger amputating models)

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1937003,00.html

Still, it was GREAT for cruising. It folded nicely and fit under the bed or in the closet with no problems, it could do a 180 in the narrow cruise ship hallways without any parental acrobatics, and it reclined.

It was like this:

maclaren-quest-stroller.jpg

Jogging strollers ARE more durable, but they can be a little big in crowds. Requiring a wider turning radius and all. I'm not comfortable with the idea of those $10 umbrellas you see at Walmart... the MacLaren was extremely durable for what it is, and you end up paying a premium for it... but it was great!

And nobody ever lost any fingers. ;)

edit:

Also, just as a side note. A lot of the shops at the various ports are teeny tiny places packed with people from several cruise ships buying liquor, rum cake, jewelry, and t-shirts.

Even with the MacLaren, sometimes we couldn't fit the stroller into the shops and move around comfortably. The same goes with the local restaurants. Sometimes we'd just have to take turns going in and looking.

So, be mindful of the limitations and challenges you'll experience at port. Walking around and touring is fine, but a lot of these port cities (especially the Caribbean) were designed before there were strollers, wheelchairs, and bariatric people.

You won't be charged, but just be aware that most airlines will not accept any responsibility for damage to a gate checked stroller. They'd have to be checked in the appropriate container at the counter.

Watch baggage handlers throw some of this stuff around, and then make your decision.

.....and you can see this by looking at what luggage looks like when it comes back........

Our stroller is really bulky so it would take up space. But we have a balcony so it's bigger then a interior cabin. Ours doesn't have a food tray. We wouldn't use it for dinners but just on ports. Our toddler discovered walking few months ago so he reither be walking then being carried. He hates holding your hand now. I'm sure he won't even want to be in the stroller & just run away. He does that now. The question I had was if it'll be a huge problem bringing it? Would it fit thru all ways & doors getting onto the ship. I like that the jogger has big wheels so it'll go on sand & trails alot better then a walmart umbrella stroller.

I have seen others store them right outside the cabin door for the night.

If I ever saw this, I'd be taking the stroller to the purser's desk to put in lost and found! That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!! :eek::rolleyes: And no, I would not tell them where I found it. Maybe i'm just a jerk, but the hallways are not meant to be for personal storage.

Our stroller is really bulky so it would take up space... The question I had was if it'll be a huge problem bringing it? Would it fit thru all ways & doors getting onto the ship. I like that the jogger has big wheels so it'll go on sand & trails alot better then a walmart umbrella stroller.

Will it be a pain? Yes, but no more than someone using a wheelchair or scooter. If you are not comfortable purchasing a smaller stroller that you will never use again, then go with what you have and like.

If a scooter can make it around a ship, than the majority of the strollers out there can make it as well. We personally are just bringing a cheap umbrella stroller even though I despise them since they were only designed to be pushed by someone less than 4 feet tall. Even though I despise umbrellas, the hassle of the larger stroller would drive me even more crazy.

Our stroller is really bulky so it would take up space. But we have a balcony so it's bigger then a interior cabin. Ours doesn't have a food tray. We wouldn't use it for dinners but just on ports. Our toddler discovered walking few months ago so he reither be walking then being carried. He hates holding your hand now. I'm sure he won't even want to be in the stroller & just run away. He does that now. The question I had was if it'll be a huge problem bringing it? Would it fit thru all ways & doors getting onto the ship. I like that the jogger has big wheels so it'll go on sand & trails alot better then a walmart umbrella stroller.

Typical interior doorways on ships are only 24" wide. So, measure your stroller and see if it's wider than that. You can always fold it up to carry it into the cabin, but that can be a pain if your child is asleep already.

Archived