Splendor needs provisions already?

aebalc

When you are hungry enough, even SPAM tastes good. Believe me, I know. Two years ago I had no electricity for over 7 days because of a hurricane - no refrigerator so food spoiled and water wasn't safe to drink because you couldn't boil it to drink or cook food.

My heart really goes out to these people, especially if they have someone who is a diabetic onboard.

I thought that these ships left port with enough provisions to last far longer than one would think necessary just in case something came up and they needed to be self sufficient at sea for a time. Even without refrigeration I'm shocked that they needed to get provisions sent so soon. Am I out of line or did you think the same?

They probably have thousands of lbs of raw meat but nothing to cook it with. They need ready to eat stuff.

Two years ago I had no electricity for over 7 days because of a hurricane - no refrigerator so food spoiled and water wasn't safe to drink because you couldn't boil it to drink or cook food.

When I was a kid I lived in Puerto Rico the year Hugo hit and we didn't get power for 2 weeks. I'll never eat vienna sausages again. :(

Yesterday, I saw a slideshow of pictures, mostly of the Navy loading supplies onto helicopters. I can't find it again, but I think it was on CNN's website.

Anyway, there were a couple of pictures of sailors holding several boxes marked "Crab Meat" and "Keep Refrigerated". I thought this was strange, because all reports are that the refrigeration on the Splendor is out.

Paul

Here's a slideshow from Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/world/2010/11/09/cruise-ship-stranded-mexico/#slide=1

DH and I were talking about this last night over dinner. We are both retired U. S. Navy supply types. Wondered if some of the navy personnel were actually boarded onto the Splendor to conduct the vertical replenishments (vertreps) since we were not very sure that this was something that the Splendor crew would have been familiar with doing. Could be wrong, though, since I know that there have been emergency evacuations from ships that might work in much the same way if the person has to be heloed off.

Here's a slideshow from Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/world/2010/11/09/cruise-ship-stranded-mexico/#slide=1

DH and I were talking about this last night over dinner. We are both retired U. S. Navy supply types. Wondered if some of the navy personnel were actually boarded onto the Splendor to conduct the vertical replenishments (vertreps) since we were not very sure that this was something that the Splendor crew would have been familiar with doing. Could be wrong, though, since I know that there have been emergency evacuations from ships that might work in much the same way if the person has to be heloed off.

Here is Laura's thread. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4217&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+site%2Fcc%2Fnews+%28Cruise+Critic%3A+News+RSS+Feeds%29#

After you click on it, click on the slideshow link. Really cool how the navy supply guys came aboard and conducted the evolution.

I was surprised with the "spam and pop tarts" the Navy was sending. Interesting combination. How about some canned tuna? Talk about a logistical nightmare!:eek:

They are adrift in some of the best tuna fishing water around the US. Give them some tackle, wasabi and soy and get some shashimi going!!!

bluefin-tuna_chris-park.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something but every cruise we've been on (24), there have been outdoor grills on the pool deck for hot dogs, hamburgers, sausage etc. Are there not any of these on the Splendor, or are they not working? Just curious.

Maybe I'm missing something but every cruise we've been on (24), there have been outdoor grills on the pool deck for hot dogs, hamburgers, sausage etc. Are there not any of these on the Splendor, or are they not working? Just curious.

Due to safety reason, i think those grills are electric and require power. Gas grills might be a bit unsafe on a ship with thousand of passengers

This is not a problem people, SPAM is on the way! Carnival can market a cookbook called "The Splendor of Spam" cookbook! :D

I think Hawaii is #1 in eating spam, we put it in so many of our dishes. I like spam every once in a while but I cannot imagine eating it uncooked and without rice! It's just so salty! :eek: My hubby is a former Marine so he hates canned meat. We'd be eating a lot of fruits and veggies.

I learned from a waiter that they take on provisions as they go, also, so they don't have the opportunity to do that.

I could have sworn that I heard all food is loaded at the home port as it has to be inspected by the USDA.

Here is Laura's thread. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4217&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+site%2Fcc%2Fnews+%28Cruise+Critic%3A+News+RSS+Feeds%29#

After you click on it, click on the slideshow link. Really cool how the navy supply guys came aboard and conducted the evolution.

From the slideshow "The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) was diverted from training maneuvers at the direction of Commander U.S. Third Fleet, and at the request of the U.S. Coast Guard, to facilitate the delivery of 4,500 pounds of supplies to the cruise ship." Something tells me they needed a bit more than 1 pound of supplies per person.

Although Spam and canned crab meat along with fruit cocktail and pop tarts are a rather odd combination none would require the use of a can opener to open. Even if Carnival had thousands of can's of various food items they'd have no way to open all those can's without power. This would be the first cruise I've ever taken that I'd lose weight on if I were on board. :eek:

I took the "Behind the Fun" tour of the Splendor during the August 15th sailing. They do not have any pre-prepared food--everything is cooked to order. So without the freezers and refrigerators, there would be nothing much left to eat (except for fruit and soft drinks). They do carry three days of extra provisions just in case, but that would be no help in this case, without the refrigeration.

Even if Carnival had thousands of can's of various food items they'd have no way to open all those can's without power.

I recall seeing a large, industrial strength, manually operated can opener attached to a prep table when I took the galley tour on Conquest a couple of months ago, I'm sure Splendor has similar devices.

Anything perishable and consumable they would have eaten first. I am sure the ice cream was hauled out of the freezers by now and it is all gone. Any coldcut meats could be cut by hand and eaten, but how many pounds of it do they have on hand. I seriously dfoubt that it could last more than a few days.

As to the question of food storage ara. It is all on 0 Deck aka, I95 and it is around the midship area and slightly aft. There is two full decks (A and B deck) below Deck 0 and engine room is below deck B.

Spam-UGH, yuck!!!!!!

I could have sworn that I heard all food is loaded at the home port as it has to be inspected by the USDA.

That is correct.... we heard that last week on our Behind the Fun tour on the Miracle. They do not take on any consumeable provisions in non-U.S. ports. And as another poster stated, they carry enough food for three additional days beyond the expected length of the cruise but that does no good without refrigeration to keep it from spoiling.

That is correct.... we heard that last week on our Behind the Fun tour on the Miracle. They do not take on any consumeable provisions in non-U.S. ports. And as another poster stated, they carry enough food for three additional days beyond the expected length of the cruise but that does no good without refrigeration to keep it from spoiling.

I don't know, when we were in port they were loading pallets of fruit onto the ship.

The meat is probably spoiled without the power to refrigerate it so even if they could operate the grills, they wouldn't have much to put on them. Maybe some grilled spam ;)

I don't know, when we were in port they were loading pallets of fruit onto the ship.

All I know is what the officer in charge of supplies on the Miracle told us 10 days ago: they are only allowed to take on food provisions in U.S. ports. In fact, you mention bananas, he specifically said that they were on the verge of tossing what bananas they had left because they were beginning to get overripe and no one would eat them. I cannot speculate on why you saw fruit being loaded in a non-U.S. port.

All I know is what the officer in charge of supplies on the Miracle told us 10 days ago: they are only allowed to take on food provisions in U.S. ports. In fact, you mention bananas, he specifically said that they were on the verge of tossing what bananas they had left because they were beginning to get overripe and no one would eat them. I cannot speculate on why you saw fruit being loaded in a non-U.S. port.

Ships are away from U.S. ports as long as 7 months. Believe me, they reprovision in foreign ports, with most of the supplies shipped from the U.S. in containers, but fruits, vegetables and the like locally provisioned. Can you imagine eating 7 month old oranges if they didn't?

Ships are away from U.S. ports as long as 7 months. Believe me, they reprovision in foreign ports, with most of the supplies shipped from the U.S. in containers, but fruits, vegetables and the like locally provisioned. Can you imagine eating 7 month old oranges if they didn't?

I don't know, but maybe what is meant to be said is ships that homeport in the US can only load provisions in US ports- as it has to be inspected by the USDA.

Ships that leave from elsewhere, the US likely has no control at all (I can't imagine how they could- even though Carnival is Miami based).

I don't know, but maybe what is meant to be said is ships that homeport in the US can only load provisions in US ports- as it has to be inspected by the USDA.

Ships that leave from elsewhere, the US likely has no control at all (I can't imagine how they could- even though Carnival is Miami based).

It could be the closed loop situation - where the ship starts and ends it's itinerary in the same U.S. port. As the other poster stated, when on long transoceanic trips, obviously the provisioning can't be done from U.S. only ports and I'm sure the Miracle's officer was telling us that in that frame of reference (i.e. western hemisphere, closed loop cruises).

Archived