Does Oasis Really Stink?

Bakincakes

Here in our home port of Galveston, and I'm sure in many others, one of the first things that happens when a ship docks, is that lines are run from the ship into the city sewer system and the waste bilges are pumped out. I'm sure there is probably some sewer gas vented at the same time. The city does profit from this.:)

That's what I was thinking: offloading the sewage in port. I've smelled this on quite a number of ships while in port. It's not unique to the Oasis.

:rolleyes: He may be "crusty" but evidently his information about the smell is accurate according to RCI cruisers who have sailed on Oasis.

I and several others have posted that they've sailed with no smells. You, I believe, have not sailed it but seem stubborn to keep he conversation going. Hmmm....

I and several others have posted that they've sailed with no smells. You, I believe, have not sailed it but seem stubborn to keep he conversation going. Hmmm....

Not at all...I'm not amazed anymore by RCI cheerleaders who refuse to ackowledge there just might be something wrong on any ship, let alone the Oasis.;)

If there is indeed a foul odor and it is caused by the waste management system t

hey have on that ship it needs to be fixed. Why should pax who pay dearly for balconies have to smell that foul odor? And why should pax from other ships have to be treated to the same just for the "crime" of being docked near the Oasis?

Are you discounting posts by others who have sailed the Oasis and say they have encountered the smell?

You seem "stubborn" to discount any observations other than your own.:p

Wow, you're a little worked up. I was simply responding to your post that said "his information about the smell is accurate according to RCI cruisers who have sailed on Oasis. " I have and have smelled nothing. You haven't and it seems very important to you. That's interesting.

You've constructed a whole scenario (if there is indeed and issue and it's affecting others) without examining the other sources of stench, like your attitude.

Unfortunately, he's right about the smell.

We sailed on the Oasis in October and would often smell sewage (at sea and in port), especially near the Aqua Theater. When we watched the Aqua Show the first night it was particularly strong.

It didn't ruin our vacation by a long shot, but was it noticeable - YES.

The stink on some decks of the 12/1 sailing last year was so bad that RCCL paid for one of our fellow Critters clothing all to be laundered...yes the smell was that bad in their cabin it got right into all their clothes.

On the following sailing, the 12/5 Inaugural, the smell was nowhere near so bad.

The stink on some decks of the 12/1 sailing last year was so bad that RCCL paid for one of our fellow Critters clothing all to be laundered...yes the smell was that bad in their cabin it got right into all their clothes.

On the following sailing, the 12/5 Inaugural, the smell was nowhere near so bad.

Interesting.

Wonder what, if anything they did to "fix" it...or if it was just chance you didn't smell it on the 12/5?

Seems as if it is back.

I also sailed HAL and cruisingator2 is correct about the food. The only additional comment is that the food in the main dining room was well below the quality of RCI as well as the service (Cold Tasteless Food in MDR). We went because of the price, but I would never sell with them again.

I agree about the food in the MDR on Oasis...and Windjammer as well.

Whew I'm glad someone said something. I was also on the 10/30 cruise and I notices a slight odor. I was not around all day, but I am an early riser, and you could smell it in the halls and certain places in the early morning, but by the middle of the day, I didn't notice anything.

I know an air conditioning pipe broke on the port side of deck 7 near the main (back ) elevators, it flooded the hallway and some of the cabins, but the water was sucked up...it had an order, but not a sewer type oder, and the crew cleaned it up in the early morning of November first.

Rev

We embarked on 11/6 and my parents had one of the cabins that had flooded on the previous cruise. They had new carpet, new bedding and who knows what else in their room. The workers were still laying carpet in several of the mini suites on deck 7 (7242 was parents). There was a fan in the hallway going all day and all night right outside my parents' cabin and they called to complain about the industrial fan noise - it was LOUD!. Someone came and unplugged it or they would have done it themselves. There was a smell in the hallway as they did not replace the hallway carpet. But once inside their room, it did not smell at all other than a new carpet smell.

Interesting.

Wonder what, if anything they did to "fix" it...or if it was just chance you didn't smell it on the 12/5?

Seems as if it is back.

Oh believe me if it had been as bad on the 12/5 as it was on 12/1 sailing I would have had no problem smelling it...it actually made me feel very sick.:(

It did seem to be at the back end of the ship.

Unfortunately, he's right about the smell.

We sailed on the Oasis in October and would often smell sewage (at sea and in port), especially near the Aqua Theater. When we watched the Aqua Show the first night it was particularly strong.

It didn't ruin our vacation by a long shot, but was it noticeable - YES.

Exactly where we smelled it. I would not have been happy in one of those nice suites back there but it also was not a huge factor overall but at times it was really bad.

Exactly where we smelled it. I would not have been happy in one of those nice suites back there but it also was not a huge factor overall but at times it was really bad.

It may depend on the sailing as in January we had one of the Aqua Theater suites and there were no issues with the smell. We did have the ash problem but that has since been corrected.

I noticed a stinky smell mostly when I was walking around the ship in port or walking around the Aqua Theatre. (We were on the 11/6 sailing) I asked my husband about it and he said he could not smell anything. I definitely smelled it though. I hope they fix it soon....it was not pleasant.

Archived